new Goblin Evo owner- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

new Goblin Evo owner

I pulled the trigger on a 20" goblin evo on Fri. I saw that the wheels are tubeless ready but was unsure about the Maxxis Ardent tires. Can you run those tires tubeless using Stans or ghetto method? Is tubeless all it's cracked up to be, or should I look at slime tubes.

I'm coming from a Trek 4300 disc that I bought in 2012 but didnt really start riding until this year. I started using a slime tube after my first flat on the Trek, and had no flats afterwards.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Definitely go tubeless from the start. Not sure what all has to be done to get the EVO tubless, but I run the Maxxis Ardents on my Goblin using the ghetto tubeless method with great results.

Tubeless allows you to run less PSI in your tires and even a 5 PSI change in MTB tire makes a huge difference. I weigh about 195-200 geared up and I went from running 40 PSI in my rear tire down to 30 PSI. It feels completely different.

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by cTxAggie View Post
    I pulled the trigger on a 20" goblin evo on Fri. I saw that the wheels are tubeless ready but was unsure about the Maxxis Ardent tires. Can you run those tires tubeless using Stans or ghetto method? Is tubeless all it's cracked up to be, or should I look at slime tubes.

I'm coming from a Trek 4300 disc that I bought in 2012 but didnt really start riding until this year. I started using a slime tube after my first flat on the Trek, and had no flats afterwards.
    Congrats on your new EVO from a fellow EVO owner! I haven't converted to tubeless yet, but I understand the Charger Comp/Ardent/Stans combo is pretty easily converted to tubeless. If I get motivated to convert I'll reply back with my results...

Tubeless advantages:

Can run lower tire pressure w/o getting pinch flats

sealant prevents flat tires

saves a little weight compared to tubed setups (about .5 lbs)
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

new Goblin Evo owner

I'm obviously a newbie. What are the advantages of lower pressure in tires? Softer ride? Better grip? Does rolling resistance increase much with lower pressure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Hmmm - I am running 21 rear, 19 front and I weigh almost 200 geared up myself. It is amazing the difference running tubeless in these bikes. Enjoy that Evo!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Hmmm - I am running 21 rear, 19 front and I weigh almost 200 geared up myself. It is amazing the difference running tubeless in these bikes. Enjoy that Evo!
    I've been wondering how low I could go. I haven't felt a rim strike or had blurp. Guess I need to drop it down a few more pounds.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I'm obviously a newbie. What are the advantages of lower pressure in tires? Softer ride? Better grip? Does rolling resistance increase much with lower pressure?

Going from 40 to 30 psi made a huge difference. I could only imagine even lower. At 30 PSI it get a much softer ride and I'm able to make it up tech sections that I could not before... so yea better grip.

I think I've read a study on MTBR that showed lower PSI on off road trails actually decreases rolling resistance, but I'm not exactly sure what the science behind it all was.

eff
    mtbr member
    Go tubeless right away. All you need to do is pull the tubes and follow the directions. You have everything you need with the bike. I did it to mine and so glad I did.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    I've been wondering how low I could go. I haven't felt a rim strike or had blurp. Guess I need to drop it down a few more pounds.
    I went as low as 18 in the back, but it was starting to get a squirmy feel to it, so I went pound by pound until it felt good for my riding style.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    To convert the Evo you need nothing. Use the existing rim tape, no ghetto method necessary. Take out the tubes and use the included stan's valves and sealant. The Ardent tires are good to go for tubeless. It does require a ton of air so a compressor is a must to get it started and set the bead.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    what's the difference in feel?

I don't know much about riding styles or anything like that, but I like going hot into hairpin turns and braking the rear to slide it around. What can I say, I like locking it up! it's just fun!

the rest of the time I guess I do normal riding, mainly trying to go as fast as possible while avoiding trees and also any kind of mini ramp I get I try to catch some air off of....

all that said, do I still want to go tubeless and real low pressure?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    what's the difference in feel?

I don't know much about riding styles or anything like that, but I like going hot into hairpin turns and braking the rear to slide it around. What can I say, I like locking it up! it's just fun!

the rest of the time I guess I do normal riding, mainly trying to go as fast as possible while avoiding trees and also any kind of mini ramp I get I try to catch some air off of....

all that said, do I still want to go tubeless and real low pressure?
    Yep, you sure do! Since you are running much lower pressures than say a tubed up tire, you give the tire a larger contact patch over terrain. Another thing that happens is the tire deforms more over bumps/obstacles tubeless vs. a tube pushing out against the tire. Another advantage is losing the rotational weight of the tubes, making the bike easier to propel forward.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

new Goblin Evo owner

Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    To convert the Evo you need nothing. Use the existing rim tape, no ghetto method necessary. Take out the tubes and use the included stan's valves and sealant. The Ardent tires are good to go for tubeless. It does require a ton of air so a compressor is a must to get it started and set the bead.
    So just order the Stan's kit, replace valve, add sealant and I'm ready to go?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    [QUOTE=cTxAggie;11793940]So just order the Stan's kit, replace valve, add sealant and I'm ready to go?

Actually Airborne is so cool they give you 2 small bottles of sealant and 2 valves in the box with your new bike. No need to order anything else! How sweet is that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

new Goblin Evo owner

I had not heard or read that my bike would include the valves or the sealant. That is great news

eff
    mtbr member
    So just order the Stan's kit, replace valve, add sealant and I'm ready to go?

Stans kit comes with the Evo.

mtbr member
    Congrats on the EVO!!!

And I'll throw another "yes" at you on tubeless. I waited too long to convert. Huge difference, especially in weight (for mine). Its very nice of Airborne to throw in everything you need to go tubeless from the start!

Squ-eti
    One thing to consider, just because I didn't see it mentioned yet. If you go tubeless you are limited to 40 psi or less, or you risk blowing the tire off the rim. Not a big deal if you are doing only dirt riding, but if you're mixing in road and dirt it may be something to think about.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah it comes with everything. The instructions that come with it are pretty good. It was extremely easy and I did it with a cheap floor pump. This is how I did it and all is good so far. The hardest part was getting the one bead off to take the tube out. The Ardents are tight on the Charger wheel. Leave the other bead in when you take the tubes out.

Put the valve in and then spray the bead you took out with soapy water. Pump it up until you hear it pop (mine did). Then take valve core out and put the sealant in through the valve. Place the valve core back in and pump away until you get it at whatever PSI you want to run.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

new Goblin Evo owner

Quote Originally Posted by groundball77 View Post
    Yeah it comes with everything. The instructions that come with it are pretty good. It was extremely easy and I did it with a cheap floor pump. This is how I did it and all is good so far. The hardest part was getting the one bead off to take the tube out. The Ardents are tight on the Charger wheel. Leave the other bead in when you take the tubes out.

Put the valve in and then spray the bead you took out with soapy water. Pump it up until you hear it pop (mine did). Then take valve core out and put the sealant in through the valve. Place the valve core back in and pump away until you get it at whatever PSI you want to run.
    That's sounds easy. Thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    That's sounds easy. Thanks

It really is so just go for it. It was my first time as well. On my Scott I just had the shop do it when I put new wheels on. I just maintained them afterwards. The Charger wheels with the BST make it pretty easy. I was expecting to have a bit of a harder time with the cheapo floor pump, but it was much easier than I thought. If you need any help during just pop on here and someone will help you out. Enjoy that EVO man.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I received and assembled my Evo last night. Despite being a newbie, I'm very impressed with the build and components. Just wish it wasn't freezing outside and I could ride it.

The brakes are night and day stronger than my Trek's tektro brakes, which nearly failed to keep me from going off the edge of a bluff a couple weeks ago.

The Evo is larger, yet feels so much lighter and I haven't converted to tubeless yet either.

I'm all smiles so far, and really glad that I found so many recommendations for Airborne and the Evo on this website!

new Goblin Evo owner-2015-02-27-22.21.54.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Wait until you get it dirty. Then you will really be smiling. It is definitely a "fun" bike out on the trail.

Squ-eti
    The weather was crap so I converted to tubeless this afternoon. Super easy once I followed directions (soap up the tires and remove core for more air volume). No air compressor needed. Just a standard Park floor pump.

eff
    mtbr member
    I haven't been on my bike since December after getting 20" of snow and it just keeps coming. I finally decided it was time to trim the steering tude since it was about 20mm too long. I also re-routed the rd cable around the left side of the steering head. Now it doesn't rub on the fork crown.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Are there any simple guidelines for tuning air forks?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Are there any simple guidelines for tuning air forks?
    Basics are start with 25% sag in the fork while wearing normal riding gear. Adjust sag as you like for your personal preference. I like to run slower rebound, some like faster. Adjust so you don't pack up on your local trails but not so fast that your biggest hits send you off the back of your bike. I know all this sounds generic but it will make sense as you ride and adjust.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

new Goblin Evo owner

When setting air pressure, should you aim to keep air pressure same in top and bottom valves?

eff
    mtbr member
    Should be a solo air, only one valve.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Also, when I set sag I make sure I am in the attack position. Attack position being standing up on pedals and arms slightly bent. If I set sag while seated, the majority of my weight is on the rear wheel and my suspension is way to soft. I bottom out like crazy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Good info!

So basically I set sag then ride and make adjustments as needed from there. Sounds easy. Let me know if I'm missing something.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Good info!

So basically I set sag then ride and make adjustments as needed from there. Sounds easy. Let me know if I'm missing something.
    That's about it. I adjust air pressure by 5-10 psi increments and rebound 1-2 clicks at a time. That way you can dial it in. Doing huge pressure changes and rebound settings can make it take longer to adjust. It's usually "I wish is was a little softer" or "I wish it was a little faster rebound" than "I need to put 50 more psi in there". Small changes can make big differences!