New to the Forums and Airborne- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New to the Forums and Airborne

Hi everyone.

Just wanted to stop by and say hello as I am new to both the forums and Airborne in general. Just got my Goblin a few weeks ago, and so far I am loving it.

New to the Forums and Airborne-goblin.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice touch with the purple grips - keep the pics coming!

eff
    mtbr member
    Welcome and enjoy your new ride!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Went on my fifth ride today, and this happened:

New to the Forums and Airborne-bent-wheel.jpg

I also got to experience what it's like to go over the handlebars. I've got to say I'm not a fan of it.

eff
    mtbr member
    Wow😱. I wonder if some of the spokes had loosened up. That does happen.

mtbr member
    I don't know what caused it to be honest. I'm pretty new to the sport, and was trying to go off a small drop for the first time. I went down maybe five to six inches, and seemed to land fine. Then as I rolled forward, I hit the bent spot and went over the bars.

It could have been improper technique with keeping my weight too far forward, being too heavy at the moment (I started biking to lose weight), loose spokes, defect in the wheel, or any combination of the above. Is there a good way to check the spokes?

Either way, a new wheel is in my future. I'll see what my LBS recommends for my weight, and maybe go ahead and swap out the back too. It just sucks because despite being sore from my landing, I want to go back out and ride some more.

eff
    mtbr member
    My guess is the spokes needed adjustment. I just give mine an unscientific hand feel test now and then. Personally I have not had and issues on my mtb but I did on my motorcycle.

I'd be curious what you LBS says.

mtbr member
    I'll let you know assuming the LBS Mechanic actually takes a look at it. He didn't seem too interested in my concerns yesterday when I dropped it off, and just blew off my questions after he told the other guy which wheel to order as a replacement. Didn't instill too much confidence to be truthful.

eff
    mtbr member
    Sounds like poor customer service. Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    That's always my experience at the local bike shops around here, which is why I bought airborne in the first place (and not one of theirs). Sorry about your crash, that sucks. I've seen tons of people land off drops with too much weight on the front and not have anything happen at all. My dad had a bunch of problems with his spokes coming loose on the rims that came on his bikesdirect bike. He's pretty heavy, like maybe 260? Anyway after even having some broken spokes he ended up buying a new wheel at a local bike shop and hasn't had any problems since.

mtbr member
    Got the bike back with a new wheel yesterday afternoon. The mechanic also gave me my old wheel back, but when asked if he took a look to see what might have caused it he didn't have an answer.

I will say there were quite a few loose spokes now at least and some of them seemed a little counter-intuitive to how the wheel bent. So that might have been part of the problem but I think it was probably a perfect storm of a few issues that ultimately led to the problem.

mtbr member
    So, after some debate and my experience with the LBS, I decided to just go ahead and order some new proper wheels. Just got them in the other day, and was able to get it all put together today. So far loving them. Big props to Mike at Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels for building up the wheels for me, and doing it so quick. They turned out great!

New to the Forums and Airborne-new_wheels_1.jpg

New to the Forums and Airborne-new_wheels_3.jpg