NAME that new Airborne alu version of the B-29!!!- Mtbr.com
    Recovering couch patato

NAME that new Airborne alu version of the B-29!!!

Pat is going to arrange a fitting prize for the winner I'm sure (well, it would be a nice bonus on top of the honor), but let's not wait for that and just come up with good names for Airnborne to pick from?

HERCULES It's a retired aircraft that played a mayor role at least in European civil and defence operations. I suggest it because the "friends of Hercules club" here in the Netherlands puts ads on TV to gather funds to keep the last one intact as a flying museum.
    Also, Hercules of course is Zues' first born son, a halfgod with his own TV series. Hercules as a man was huge, muscular and invincible.
    I think divine and muscular are good things to associate with a 29"er, what do you guys think? But don't let my excellent entry hold you from trying to better it

(Oops, I didn't check, hopefully Airborne didn't use that name up already, I'm not THAT familiar with their product range...)
    Klok - XC - Skate - Ski

Bike Whore
    Mar 2004
    Wart Hog

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by frankenbike
    Wart Hog
    Wart Hog would be a great name for a gnarly bike. The A-10's official name of course is not Wart Hog it's Thunderbolt 2 and it's named after the first WW 2 era Thunderbolt which would be my choice but they already have a road bike by that name. As far as Hercules, I'm sure that all the folks operating these would be surprised to learn they're retired. http://www.spectrumwd.com/c130/squadron.htm Hercules are also heavy, lumbering and slow but reliable too. (Former USAF C-130 avionics technician here.)

Airborne has always had a WW2 era motif to their model names. I wonder if they're ready to move on from there? If so, I recomend painting it green and naming it the Jolly Green Giant (HH-3 Vietnam era helicopter). Are they having an official naming contest for the new 29er anyway or what? I didn't see anything on their site about it.

http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/home.asp

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloxxki
    Pat is going to arrange a fitting prize for the winner I'm sure (well, it would be a nice bonus on top of the honor), but let's not wait for that and just come up with good names for Airnborne to pick from?
    First of all, if the frame is still a B-29, but simply made in aluminum rather than titanium - we can't be confusing the customer with a complete name change overhaul. Gotta K.I.S.S. it.

Something as pristine and basic as calling it the:

B-29-AL

Goes right along with the:

B-29-Ti

If the B-29 made in alumninum deserves an entire name change - then you gotta change the B-29 name frame made in Titanium as well. Otherwise - it gets too confusing. Nicht war?

BB

P.S. On the other hand, I could see the cool factor in owning a B-52. Cruising down the trail on a big wheeled two niner called the B-52 has a certain gusto to it.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    There was actually a B-29 A model aircraft too, so it's probably the only name that makes sense given that it's still a B-29, just done in aluminum.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    There was actually a B-29 A model aircraft too, so it's probably the only name that makes sense given that it's still a B-29, just done in aluminum.
    Well, then it's solved. The B-29 A it is.

BB

Harmonius Wrench

Hey! Not so fast there, Bruce!

I would like a crack at this! If we are stuck with WWII monikers, and we don't have to go with "B- 29", then I would opt for P-38, the plane called "Lightning". That way I could put what the Germans called it on the top tube- forked tailed devil! Ha! Now, if Airbourne could see fit to break ranks with the WWII era madness, then I would go with F-85 (Thunderjet), or maybe the venerable Phantom, which I cannot recall the model # designation for, right now. Ahh yes, a black ano Phantom! That'd be way cool!
    Riden' an Smilin'
    Guitar Ted

Blog
    RidingGravel.com

Beware of Doggerel

Tu-4

In the late 1940s the soviets came out with a more or less exact copy of Boeing's B-29 the soviet plane was called the TU-4, my vote is for this name, it keeps the airplane theme.

Adam

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    i agree that staying within the "B-29" theme is cool.
    how about the full name: "B-29 Superfortress" ?
    that is more fun and more easily differentiated from just the "A"
    that is my vote!
    OGG
    Spinning and Grinning...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

How about...

"Dubya"
    Just kidding. Although I did see him in a flight suit once on an aircraft carrer. Something about mission accomp...must stop, getting too far off topic, political etc. Sorry.
    Last edited by spudzone; 03-22-2007 at 06:22 AM.

395 Fat Tire Council
    My suggestion is the B-26 Marauder. Not only was it a fantastic performing medium bomber, but it was also fast, sleek, and sexy.

Trivia Bonus:
    -The Martin B-26 Marauder was constructed from a semi-monocoque aluminum alloy fuselage fabricated in three sections.
    -It was ordered straight off the drawing board, no prototypes were built.
    -The Marauder had the lowest loss rate of any Allied bomber, less than one-half of one percent.
    -A half a dozen of these aircraft are still in use in Canada as water bombers for fighting forest fires.
    -26 is the atomic weight of aluminum (actually 26.98, but who's counting)

Wood chips are stupid
    How about "BUB" (B29's Ugly Brother) HA! Why don't we ask Pat?

akdeluxe

SALSAFIED endurance racer
    What about HINDENBURG
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

jja
    mtbr member
    The bombs were dropped from the B-29s Enola Gay and Bockscar, but that's probably not a very sensitive name. My suggestion would be Boeing's name for the B-29: Superfortress used for the titanium version. Since the aluminum is a copy, name it after the Soviet aircraft copy: Tupolev Tu-4 (or just Tupolev).

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    Quote Originally Posted by jja
    The bombs were dropped from the B-29s Enola Gay and Bockscar, but that's probably not a very sensitive name. My suggestion would be Boeing's name for the B-29: Superfortress used for the titanium version. Since the aluminum is a copy, name it after the Soviet aircraft copy: Tupolev Tu-4 (or just Tupolev).
    shouldn't the name be catchy, or at least easy to pronounce?
    Spinning and Grinning...

Sofa King We Todd Did
    It oughta be called the 'AL-29'. Keeps the spirit of the 29 reference in the name, while being very direct with what sets this frame apart from its titanium sister model. You maintain strong brand identity, it's a name that's easy to remember, easy to say, easy to ask for.

I win.

Recovering couch patato
    I still think my Hercules should win. Masculin, muscular, a plane, and rarely used in the bike industry, at least that I know of.

Cassoulet forever !
    "Rafale", like the beautiful and powerful jet from Dassault.

Frenchspeaking 29"ers community site http://VingtNeuf.org

Sofa King We Todd Did
    a plane
    Therein lies your problem. You're trying to name a bike, not a plane. Who're you, the Wright Brothers?

Oh, and if anyone's thinking of submitting the name 'Kitty Hawk', I'm pre-emptively submitting that one, too.

Hah! I win twice!

Cold. Blue. Steel.
    this is startin' to get DUM. yeah, that's "dumb" mis-spelled like a true dummy!

with all of these name shenanigans, are we even going to win a prize if our name gets used?
    Spinning and Grinning...

¡Manos arriba!

Stratoliner

While I have a certain love/hate for the C-130 (having spent WAY too many hours on them) the name of the Stratofortress seems appropriate, but in all honesty I like the ring of "Stratoliner" just seems to "fit" the style of a 29"er

First flown in late 1938, the Boeing 307 was the first airliner with a pressurized fuselage. It could carry 33 passengers in great comfort and cruise at 6,096 meters (20,000 feet), while maintaining a cabin pressure of 2,438 meters (8,000 feet). This enabled the Stratoliner to fly above most bad weather, thereby providing a faster and smoother ride.
    (NOTE: "providing a faster and smoother ride")

The Stratoliner incorporated the wings, tail, and engines of the Boeing B-17C bomber. The wide fuselage was fitted with sleeper berths and reclining seats.

SO I'm going with Stratoliner first and Stratofortress a close second
    Last edited by NoDunut4U; 04-13-2005 at 01:52 PM.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Stratoliner

Airborne made already a Stratoliner, and after crimping the Ti stays, thats what my rear KENDA claw is turning in.
    Been spending most of my time on the roadbike recently though.
    BTW, Who would want to glorify equipement made to kill?

Quote Originally Posted by NoDunut4U
    While I have a certain love/hate for the C-130 (having spent WAY too many hours on them) the name of the Stratofortress seems appropriate, but in all honesty I like the ring of "Stratoliner" just seems to "fit" the style of a 29"er

First flown in late 1938, the Boeing 307 was the first airliner with a pressurized fuselage. It could carry 33 passengers in great comfort and cruise at 6,096 meters (20,000 feet), while maintaining a cabin pressure of 2,438 meters (8,000 feet). This enabled the Stratoliner to fly above most bad weather, thereby providing a faster and smoother ride.
    (NOTE: "providing a faster and smoother ride")

The Stratoliner incorporated the wings, tail, and engines of the Boeing B-17C bomber. The wide fuselage was fitted with sleeper berths and reclining seats.

SO I'm going with Stratoliner first and Stratofortress a close second

tl1
    Bicyclist

Call me Al

Quote Originally Posted by SpinWheelz
    It oughta be called the 'AL-29'. Keeps the spirit of the 29 reference in the name, while being very direct with what sets this frame apart from its titanium sister model. You maintain strong brand identity, it's a name that's easy to remember, easy to say, easy to ask for.

I win.
    If you’ll be my bodyguard
    I can be your long lost pal
    I can call you Betty
    And Betty when you call me
    You can call me Al

Or B-29 AL maybe.

mtbr member

How about simply...

..."Relic" - a throwback to big hoops of old (and new, per RC at MBA).

Sean
    Professional Amateur

Compulsive Bike Builder

How About Neptune

You can read that "The first aircraft designed in 7075-T6 was the Navy’s P2V patrol bomber" here:

https://www.key-to-metals.com/Article95.htm

See a nice pic of one here:

https://www.aerofiles.com/lock-p2v.jpg

It's nickname was "Neptune" the same way the "Hercules" is also the C-130.

The Neptune is a bomber, not a mere cargo plane, which is what the Hercules is. Also, Neptune is the god of the sea, so you got your divinity. He was god of the sea, but also of earthquakes and horses. He was known for riding. They did not have bikes back then, so he had to settle for riding dolphins and horses. Plus, he looks totally buff in all the statues you see of him.
    Last edited by DirtDad; 04-13-2005 at 09:25 PM.
    Disclaimer: ComCycle USA

¡Manos arriba!
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi
    BTW, Who would want to glorify equipement made to kill?

Ummmm.... That would be Airborne... And just because equipement _can_ kill does not mean it _has_ to kill, or can ONLY kill.

The Military Sealift Command (MSC) combat stores ship USNS San Jose (T-AFS 7) continues to be a vital part of the tsunami relief effort, and is currently on station off the coast of Sumatra, directly supporting the MSC hospital ship USNS Mercy (T-AH 19).

A little closer to home, Airmen with the 437th Airlift Squadron used a C-17 Globemaster III to transport releif supplies for victims of Hurricane Charley in FL.

Nice troll..... But let us not drag this thread into a geo-political debate, shall we?

Sweep the leg!
    Why not "Fat Man" for a 26" wheel and "Little Boy" for a 700c wheel

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Ted
    I would like a crack at this! If we are stuck with WWII monikers, and we don't have to go with "B- 29", then I would opt for P-38, the plane called "Lightning". That way I could put what the Germans called it on the top tube- forked tailed devil! Ha!
    The Phantom was an A-4 IIRC. Not sure how it would suit the marketing types, but wasn't the P-38 nick-named the Widowmaker?

assenting member
    Quote Originally Posted by RobW
    The Phantom was an A-4 IIRC.
    Phantom is F-4, A-4 is the Skyhawk.

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by SocalSuperhero
    My suggestion is the B-26 Marauder. Not only was it a fantastic performing medium bomber, but it was also fast, sleek, and sexy.

Trivia Bonus:
    -The Martin B-26 Marauder was constructed from a semi-monocoque aluminum alloy fuselage fabricated in three sections.
    -It was ordered straight off the drawing board, no prototypes were built.
    -The Marauder had the lowest loss rate of any Allied bomber, less than one-half of one percent.
    -A half a dozen of these aircraft are still in use in Canada as water bombers for fighting forest fires.
    -26 is the atomic weight of aluminum (actually 26.98, but who's counting)

You can't have "26" in the name of a 29"er. That is just blasphemy.

395 Fat Tire Council
    Quote Originally Posted by motoman711
    You can't have "26" in the name of a 29"er. That is just blasphemy.
    But technically, you could run 26's on it

indigosky

Well...

in keeping with the aircraft theme, my favorite plane of all time is the Douglas DC-3 otherwise known as the Dakota, so there, my vote is for:

Dakota

Side note, the DC-3 also known as the C-47 helped a great number of people after WWII during the Berlin Airlift. Maybe the "Airborne Dakota" can help a great number of people in the 29'er movement. Wow, now I'm just getting cheezy...

Or, in keeping with the C-47 airlift theme...

the "Airborne Airlifter"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by indigosky; 04-14-2005 at 03:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

TT-35 Mosquito

Ok, hear me out on this one. The TT-35 Mosquito, a WWII plane flown by the RAF, was a fast attack plane. Although it was not a heavy bomber like the B-29, it still did precise damage. There is an instance in WWII where they hit a prison where French resistance fighters were imprisoned by the Germans. The hit the outside wall allowing the prisoners to escape. I believe that somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 prisoners escaped to fight another day against the Germans.

Another interesting fact about the TT- 35 Mosquito is that it was made of wood, a different material than most other airplanes of the day. I guess you could bring the relation over to the B-29 as it is made of Ti and the Mosquito is made of Aluminum, a different material. The interesting thing about the Mosquito is that it was not shot down very often due to its high speed.
    "We got brakes." - Friend/teammate's reponse to the cop's question, "What if the car stops?" after while being pulled over for drafting a car at 30mph.

Recovering couch patato
    Dakota, that's the one that's being marketed as a flying museum club thing in the Netherlands now. Dutch Dakota Association. I think it looks like a school bus :-)
    Dunno what the Hercules looks like, but a good chance to just mention the name again :-)

Wow, all those WWII aircraft names, but still at some point Airborne's going to run out of good allied names.
    How about the Messerschmitt BF-109? There's a 9 in the number...

tl1
    Bicyclist

The Flying Tiger

The heroic and celebrated Flying Tigers operated out of China, much like Airborne does today. WW2 nose art rules!

Last edited by tl1; 04-14-2005 at 06:09 PM. Reason: reduced photo size

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

Bubble

...and time will tell

luckiest of the unlucky
    Slightly astray from the aircraft theme, but howsabout "Atlas"? Sounds big, eh?

Sweep the leg!
    UCIrvineRoadie said...
    Ok, hear me out on this one. The TT-35 Mosquito... Although it was not a heavy bomber like the B-29, it still did precise damage. There is an instance in WWII where they hit a prison where French resistance fighters were imprisoned by the Germans. The hit the outside wall allowing the prisoners to escape. I believe that somewhere in the neighborhood of 200 prisoners escaped to fight another day against the Germans.
    As well as several hundred children, teachers and staff that were killed in the school next door when one of the Mosquitos crashed into the building. The following pilots mistook the school for the target and bombed the **** out of it.

Mosquitos were built here in northern Wisconsin during WWII as we had/have a "secure area" and plenty of pine that was used in their construction.

mtbr member
    May 2004

get your facts right

[QUOTE=Caffeine Powered]As well as several hundred children, teachers and staff that were killed in the school next door when one of the Mosquitos crashed into the building. The following pilots mistook the school for the target and bombed the **** out of it.

I believe you are mistaken in this.
    The Amiens prison was isolated from the township and was a sucess even though several Mosquitos were shot down. Some prisoners were killed, but a large number escaped, many of whom that were due to be executed within days. The bombing was so accurate that only two squadron waves were needed (464 amd 487, New Zealand and Australian I believe), and the third wave was called off due to their accuracy. The group leader, Group Captain 'Pick' Pickard DSO, DFC CzMC was shot down by Focke Wulf 190s. He was 28, his co-pilot Bill Broadley was 23.
    I think your are confusing this raid with the bombing of Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen in which a tragic error did occur and a school was hit with ensuing loss of life.
    By the tone of your post, it would seem that you regard the killing of civilans a greater evil than trying to rid the world of the tyranny of the Nazi ideology.
    Don't lose sight of the fact that whenever possible, Bomber Command would endeavour to warn civilians to stay away from factories and other targets etc to minimalise lose of civilian life, either through covert messages to the Resistance when possible or by more dramatic and dangerous means eg 617 squadron leader Lenoard Cheshire VC, on several occasions dived his Mosquito to rooftop level and buzzed the target of the day to give warning to civilian workers that a raid was imminant in order to give them time to escape.
    Rembember these aircraft were flying at rooftop level at 300mph with only seconds to pinpoint their targets, usually flying through extremely heavy and accurate anti-aircraft fire to achieve the result.
    Most of these aircrew were 18-25 yrs old and over 120,000 allied aircrew, British, Commenwealth and American lost their lives over Europe.
    For the most part they were young, scared and doing the best they could, but in war mistakes happen.
    It is easy to be revisionist from our comfortable and cosy 2005 perspective and lose sight of the sacifices they made and what they went through.
    I don't mean to get on your case, but while the school bombing was a tragity, one that the Danish people accepted as part of the cost to rid themselves of their Nazi overlords, I think it is disrespectful to those engaged in the fighting, especially those who lost their lives, to be critised by revisionist thinking, especially when you misreprensent the facts.
    The Amiens prison raid stands out as one of histories most successful and accurate bombing raids. More was at stake than just the sucess of the raid, it served as a beacon to the peoples of Europe that Britain hadn't deserted them in their darkest hour and was prepared to take the fight to the den of the beast.
    I think it would be unfortunate if people, through your post, link this raid in their minds with the killing of school children.

mtbr member
    Starlifter?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

yet another suggestion

sticking with the warplane theme:
    how about "memphis belle" a b-17 flying fortress, even comes with nice nose art:

Tracking up the place
    How about the " De Haviland" or " Mosquito" An WW2 British night fighter
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

SALSAFIED endurance racer

HERCULES It's a retired aircraft that played a mayor role at least in European civil and defence operations. I suggest it because the "friends of Hercules club" here in the Netherlands puts ads on TV to gather funds to keep the last one intact as a flying museum.
    Also, Hercules of course is Zues' first born son, a halfgod with his own TV series. Hercules as a man was huge, muscular and invincible.
    I think divine and muscular are good things to associate with a 29"er, what do you guys think? But don't let my excellent entry hold you from trying to better it

(Oops, I didn't check, hopefully Airborne didn't use that name up already, I'm not THAT familiar with their product range...)
    Is it sure that there will be a "cheap" AIRBORNE 29" frame 2006?
    It's got to be AUSTRIA !!!

Recovering couch patato
    As sure as a Ritchey 2.4" tire, but at least Airborne came with the idea themselves.

Sweep the leg!

Dude, relax.

Dude, is something or someone frustrating you? just for the record I sent the following PM to this guy Saturday...
    (friendly tone) How're you today?

(sarcastic tone) regarding the B-29/Mosquito posts, I'm impressed you were able to determine my tone from 3 sentences which were never directed toward any person on the forum.

(back to friendly tone) You're correct, I was mistaken about the city. I also never stated anything political regarding the events or actions that the governments in power took. Knowing what they did then (from a historical perspective) they most certainly did the best with what they were given.

(Still friendly) Have a good weekend.

[QUOTE=bryceb]
    Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered
    As well as several hundred children, teachers and staff that were killed in the school next door when one of the Mosquitos crashed into the building. The following pilots mistook the school for the target and bombed the **** out of it.

I believe you are mistaken in this...

I think your are confusing this raid with the bombing of Gestapo headquarters in Copenhagen...

By the tone of your post, it would seem that you regard the killing of civilans a greater evil than trying to rid the world of the tyranny of the Nazi ideology....
    wow, you really do have some special ability to discern a person's state of mind via your computer. Too bad you're wrong.

I don't mean to get on your case, but while the school bombing was a tragity, ...
    Sure seems that way to me. The next day, after obvious internet search engine time, you post "the facts" to in an attempt to seem well, I'm at a loss for words...heck, you seem like a person that should be riding and spending less time trying to do whatever it is you're doing. BTW, learn to spell or spell check, the word is TRAGEDY

I think it would be unfortunate if people, through your post, link this raid in their minds with the killing of school children.
    Boy is that ever reaching. Anyone makes that leap of "thought" surely voted Republican.

mtbr member
    I call it "The Aluminum Parsons Project". ;-)

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Can't find that fact

Quote Originally Posted by Caffeine Powered

Mosquitos were built here in northern Wisconsin during WWII as we had/have a "secure area" and plenty of pine that was used in their construction.
    about Wisconsin, but would love to see it somewhere. As far as the other person posting, I think he was spot on to put some facts and insight to your out of context statement. Perhaps a post like, in spite of one highly unusual instance where the lead pilot crashed into a school, next to a Gestapo headquarters placed by the school to prevent Allied bombing, the Mosquitoes had a great service record and where highly regarded as one of the best British planes of the Second World War. There was no mistake in the target, the lead plane ran into a telephone pole and careened into the school. The following pilots believed the burning building to have been the target and unfortunately for the school and those inside, very accurately. Ed

Master Blaster
    Mar 2005

Neener Neener Neener!

No 29"er maker has claimed that name yet though it might work better for Niner. Can you imagine owning a Niner Neener Neener Neener?

What day are we riding?

Hellcat

Always liked that name...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Mig-29

aka Fulcrum. There just aren't that many planes with 29 in the designation

Tracking up the place
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_uk
    aka Fulcrum. There just aren't that many planes with 29 in the designation

it fits I Iike that one...
    "Home of the Bearlodge Mtn Classic"

The only hill is the one you make of it....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

X29 - Forward Swept Wing Concept
    https://www.nasa.gov/images/content/...OLOR_PAGE6.GIF

All kinds of high tec.

Ed

Kill your... television
    Quote Originally Posted by scarkinsmel
    X29 - Forward Swept Wing Concept
    https://www.nasa.gov/images/content/...OLOR_PAGE6.GIF

All kinds of high tec.

Ed
    Ohhh, I like that one!
    "Whereas Motoman's bike looks like an industrial, TinkerToy experiment gone horribly wrong." - Aquaholic

Ti
    Misfit

Recovering couch patato
    Nishiki X-29 exist already. Like the plane though. Wasn't that a fly-by-wire demonstration?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

I have no

idea about the fly by wire deal, but I just thought the Nishiki was called the Bigfoot. Oh well, there goes my prize. Ed

Recovering couch patato
    All Nishiki 29"ers (like 7 or 8 models at one time) get Bigfoot, and then X-29, K-29, Z-29, FS-29, Race, Traveller, etc.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

How about the S-29

http://www.awm.gov.au/striking/plane...h/stirling.asp

Don't know much about it, but appears to be the first British 4 engine bomber of WW2. Kind of fits with the B-29 bomber thing. Ed

If it has already been suggested, sorry.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Spruce Goose?