Life finds a way- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2015

Life finds a way

So I've been riding my Goblin Evo for a while and have been satisfied with the product for the most part. I've taken it between towns, on some nice hills, and to the city on the bus. Been having a purty good time actually. Sadly, today was the day Life decided to reminded me just how bad my luck seems to be. I was riding around town and started to feel the back a bit sluggish so I stopped to check my air(which I check before every ride). I noticed my tire was close to flat so I took out my hand pump to fill her up while wondering what had cause it.

Just as I go to connect the pump I see the disaster, a bent rim.

Because I went tubeless the tire wouldn't hold any air as the deformation was too large. I went to my backpack for a tube only to realize I left them on my bedroom floor during my last grocery run. I ended up walking my bike back to my house the same as my last walmart bike I decided to let go in order to bite the bullet on a more expensive specimen. Well fruitcakes....

Story of my life.

So what you guys recommend I do?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Life finds a way-image.jpg  

Airborne Goblin Evo

Sawyer Gnome
    Bend it back and run a tube (though admittedly the rim will be weakened from a dent that big). Or buy a new hoop and have a local wheelbuilder/shop lace it up.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    That's what I did tho I'm a bit sad I have a tube in there now. Is the hoop less expensive then buying the entire rim or about the same? Not sure how much the cost would be for my BS to do what you say but probably not cheap?

I contacted the manufacture and waiting to see what they could do for me.

Thanks for the advice. There are some tall concrete bulges where I passed by but I didn't think the bike wouldn't be able to handle them....

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well I would say it's not warranty, so don't expect much. A new rim, same as a hoop ( complete rim, spokes, hub is called a wheel ) is about $75 plus labor to lace it again. So about $125 in my area. You might get a deal on labor since it's not a total build. I would agree with bending it back first and running a tube. I've seen many people dent rims like this.

mtbr member
    You can bend it back with a crescent wrench and a little patience, but like others said it will probably not seal well again and would require tubes.

It's doubtful that SR will warranty that but it doesn't hurt to ask. Most manufacturers would call that "user error" or abuse (that's not intended to offend BTW!).

If not warranteed, I would source another rim and spokes and have a shop lace it up for you.

Also, consider running more pressure. It may help avoid this happening again in the future. Good luck!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    I will take that bent rim any day of the week over a possible knee surgery (I will find out Monday...) - count your blessings, and go ride your bike!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Good luck soul chicken hope you don't have to ad one of those post surgery
    knee scooters to the "what else do you ride" thread

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Thanks again for the replies guys. The first ride I took with the tube I came back with a flat. Yeah, I actually try to make the tires fairly hard. Not specifically to avoid what happened but I like them like that. I have one more tube left so I'm going to start looking at rims. The manufacture actually offered some assistance in the form of a discount but besides not being sure I want the same rims, I turned it down for another reason. What you guys recommend for a sturdy build? I'm not worried about weight. I like the wider rims I've seen? How much am I looking at for some nice rims price wise?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What do you mean by "fairly hard"? How much psi? Tires "feel" hard at as little as 30 psi. You need to be pumping your tires with a pump with a gauge. Sounds like this is the problem with the first issue and now this one if you are not.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I don't currently have a gauge but I see the tire compress a small amount when I get on. Too much compression and I air it up more. By fairly hard I mean the above and I can only press it down a small amount with my thumb while squeezing the rim and tire together as hard as possible. I also jump up and down to make sure it looks good. What I think happened is the tire got some punctures that lowered the PSI enough that the tire could compress too far. As I've mentioned before, my area has always been bad for my tires and I did pass over some bad patched that day as I didn't yet know how good the stans set-up is. It was mostly cement sidewalks tho and I wasn't riding aggressively. I've felt friends bikes that were inflated to ~60 psi so I have some idea of the feel but you are correct that I need a gauge. My bike says 65psi. That specific day aside, I have to add air and remove objects from the tire after almost every day of use, it's that bad. Not sure what I'm going to do about the last tube going out before I get replacement rims...

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by NekoPlasmid View Post
    I've felt friends bikes that were inflated to ~60 psi so I have some idea of the feel but you are correct that I need a gauge. My bike says 65psi.

Jesus, don't go anywhere near that! And tell your friends to knock it off. That's ridiculous on a mountain bike.

Get a gauge or pump with gauge and start there. Make sure there aren't any burs inside the rim that could rub/puncture your tube.
    Last edited by Nuzzy; 06-30-2015 at 11:44 PM.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
    Jesus, don't go anywhere near that!.
    Agreed. I've been running low 20's for a while now on my Evo and I'm probably close to 240 lbs with gear. I've recently bumped up to the low 30's based on Stan's formula, but I never had any issues before.

Anything above 40 sounds like bad times to me.

Sawyer Gnome
    Quote Originally Posted by fattty View Post
    Agreed. I've been running low 20's for a while now on my Evo and I'm probably close to 240 lbs with gear. I've recently bumped up to the low 30's based on Stan's formula, but I never had any issues before.

Anything above 40 sounds like bad times to me.

I'm prolly 190ish geared up and keep 'em anywhere between 21 and 28 depending on the type of riding. I'm pretty brutal on them, without being careless, and have had great luck thus far. One slightly dented rim (still seals tubeless just fine) from not checking air before a ride and coming up short gapping roots, but that was totally my fault.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Lol, if it makes you feel any better I didn't get them as hard as my friends bike but I do go for a firm feel. I see many post sticking around the 30 figure here but I was told 20-40 is a workable range by a shop depending on the gear I have.

Thanks for the replies guys but do any of you have any rims you recommend?

Sawyer Gnome
    Thanks for the replies guys but do any of you have any rims you recommend?

I've loved my i23s on my rigid, and have certainly beat the pee out of them. I'm sure the i25s are even mo betta for wider profile tires.

Frequency Team | WTB
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Really liking those rims thanks! How long have you had the i23s? Have you had to get them trued often?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have had good luck with bending the rim back with a wrench. Still don't have any problems sealing tubeless. Guess it just depends on exactly how bad it is and how well you get it back into shape.

Sawyer Gnome
    Really liking those rims thanks! How long have you had the i23s? Have you had to get them trued often?

Had them for a few years now. I true my own when needed, but no, haven't had to all that much since their first build. They've been great, sturdy rims for me. I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

Sawyer Gnome
    Speak of the devil...

Still holding air, so I ain't touching a damn thing

These rims do seem to get dented more than my i23s ever did. Meh, ride it hard and fix it when it breaks
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuzzy View Post
    Speak of the devil...

Still holding air, so I ain't touching a damn thing

These rims do seem to get dented more than my i23s ever did. Meh, ride it hard and fix it when it breaks
    Should have inflated them to 70 :P

Sawyer Gnome
    Should have inflated them to 70 :P

Life wouldn't be worth living

What can I say, I'm the only jackass with a hardtail in the land of full suspension
    Evil The Following
    Raleigh XXIX SS

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm a bit confused here. Which way does turning the knob on the fork "lock" the suspension? I could have sworn turning it the direction of the arrow that points to the lock locked it but now it seems to do the opposite. Turning towards it allows the suspension to move freely and away seems to lock it?

Life finds a way-image.jpg
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Clockwise locks it out, counterclockwise let's it's move freely.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    Clockwise locks it out, counterclockwise let's it's move freely.
    That's how I remember it being but now it's the opposite. How's that possible?
    Airborne Goblin Evo

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I'm still confused about the suspension lock. Anybody have an idea on what's going on? Maybe I had it locked an hit something hard enough for it to reverse inside?