Let's see those Griffins!! - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    mtbr member
    I actually had to bring my wheels and use the shops main compressor with an air blast fitting and the core removed. I also had three sets of hands holding the tire while I tried airing it up. It took some time, but it finally set the bead.

mtbr member
    Nice! I received my Aflac check, just ordered another Griffin for the Mrs. Happy Happy Joy Joy!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So are these tires just super hard to set? Or is it Plus tires?

Congrats on Griffin number two!!

mtbr member
    It's the tires, they have an unusually stiff bead. I'm running Maxxis Rekon+ 2.8's and they sealed very easily. No extra tape needed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    So I just noticed that my tire has a noticeable bulge in it when I spin it. May mine be defective? I'm gonna take a video to show.

Pinehurst NC
    might not be fully seated
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Griffin number two arrived for the Mrs. today! I started to unbox it when I realized the size was wrong, but Jesse at Airborne is right on top of it sending out an RMA with the correct size frame. In the meantime, I have picked out some fun duct tape to cover the rim strips to personalize the bike wheels with. I got the idea from a buddy of mine, who rolls a fat bike with the Mulefut 80's on them, he said it was really easy to do. So I picked out "Old Graffiti", and the Mrs. picked out "Marble Peacock" to dress up the wheels instead of just the standard black rim strip peeking through. I was going to do her bike first followed by mine once I order in some new rubber, but I will have to wait a bit. More to come later!

mtbr member
    So close, yet so far... The Mrs. is still excited for her first mountain bike, I am just as excited as she is, and I finally get mine back!!

Let's see those Griffins!!-4302965291273041541.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ugh! Here's mine sitting next to the Goblin EVO

mtbr member

Funky!

With help from the Mrs., I was able to get the first rim strip done and mounted to the rim. I wasn't too sure the tape would survive stretching over the rim and over the spoke nipple bases, but with a little coercion they slide right over. All that is left is to add some rim tape while I wait for a set of 3" Nobby Nics to show up at the door. Off to get the back wheel started - Happy New Year Airborne Dudes!

Let's see those Griffins!!-bff9129a-81b0-428a-9fc6-22f5b8face72.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-74138dae-11d2-4150-921d-d2e2d08a1e0c.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    ha that's clever!

I see you have non-standard rotors, you change your brakes? What did you go with?

I was looking at Shimano XT... are they the best for the money? Going for $90 a set (no disc) on Jenson.

Can the XT's be used with the stock rotors the bike comes with?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    ha that's clever!

I see you have non-standard rotors, you change your brakes? What did you go with?

I was looking at Shimano XT... are they the best for the money? Going for $90 a set (no disc) on Jenson.

Can the XT's be used with the stock rotors the bike comes with?
    I went with SRAM Guides and Centerline rotors, they have some serious stopping power since they are 4 pot pistons. The downside to the brakes is the DOT 3 fluid they use, you have to be careful as it eats through paint (donít ask me how I know this fact...). Shimano uses mineral oil. Any brakes can be used with those rotors, just lightly sand them, clean with alcohol, mount up and bed in as usual. I have had Shimano on my Goblin for years, they are the only brakes that have been ďset and forget.Ē I sold off the Hayes to a friend that builds drift trikes, I was never a fan of them. Have fun!
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-03-2018 at 09:21 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I may go for the XT's... they're about $90 each and are reasonably lightweight and reliable as you mention. With plenty of stopping power I think for my ~170lb. Maybe I can sell the Hayes Radar for something, so maybe not a huge investment for an important upgrade.

mtbr member
    I may go for the XT's... they're about $90 each and are reasonably lightweight and reliable as you mention. With plenty of stopping power I think for my ~170lb. Maybe I can sell the Hayes Radar for something, so maybe not a huge investment for an important upgrade.
    170... I remember those days! I have been pushing maximum density since getting casted up, I will have my work cut out for me this coming season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    170... I remember those days! I have been pushing maximum density since getting casted up, I will have my work cut out for me this coming season.
    Well I'm at 174 or so... it's been a bad last two months. Hurt my back training so been less active and drinking more beer. Would like to get 160 leaned up still able to squat 300+. But mostly able to have some endurance too.

By the way, I contacted Vee Tire co and I was able to get a warranty claim on the rear tire. They had excellent customer service being based here in Atlanta as well. They're sending me out a new tire, not sure if it will be Traxx fatty or a newer version, but should have my rear tubeless soon.

Also planning on buying a carbon riser bar from Amazon (china brand) and a shorter stem.

Pinehurst NC
    I ditched the Hayes brakes after the first two rides, right to the XT's. 50mm stem with a 1" riser was a nice change for me
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    YES!! The correct size bike arrived for the Mrs. yesterday morning, so I got started on her wheels adding some flare to the rim strips. Two wraps of clear Gorilla repair tape did the trick to set the wheel up tubeless, it's the perfect width at 48mm, and it stuck extremely well to the rim strips. I just need to finish up the rear wheel today, and port all of her goodies to her new bike (handlebars, grips, pedals, etc.). Needless to say, she is super excited to give it a spin!

Let's see those Griffins!!-4010543922344031998.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I like the stickers... how'd you add them?

mtbr member
    I like the stickers... how'd you add them?
    I removed the Sun Ringle rim strips and applied Duck Tape brand duct tape to them and slid them back onto the wheel. I started the wrap opposite the opening for the valve stem since they have a blank spot where they pin the rim together. The possibilities are endless with all the cool designs they have, Ebay being the best source. It's a great way to personalize your bike! Good stuff Maynard!

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture.jpg
    Last edited by s0ul_chicken; 01-10-2018 at 02:52 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    some reflective tape would be cool!

mtbr member
    some reflective tape would be cool!
    Fattystripper.com - looks like they have some reflective options, here is the bike pic on their front page:

Let's see those Griffins!!-3m_blingstrips_blue_1024.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    so I finally got to take out the bike on a ride.. (life got in the way all other weekends and weather)

Impressions.

- I love the plus tires, still need to convert the rear to tubeless, given it had a defect, VeeTire sent me a new rear tire, so I'll take it all to bike shop soon enough.
    - What kind of gauge are you guys using to accurately set tire pressures?
    - The brakes suck majorly. I don't want to ride the bike again until I upgrade them.
    - I need to adjust the cockpit... I feel like I'm too reached over the front, made it hard to wheelie or pick up the front tire... I feel like I don't have leverage or something... would the best thing be to pick up a short stem and drop the handlebars as low as they go on the steerer? Maybe get some bars with some rise?

Also, I noticed something concerning... after the ride, I put my bike on it's side in my truck and noticed that there was oil seeping out of the adjuster... I'm assuming this isn't good. What should I do?

mtbr member
    All you would need to do for the oil seepage is to remove the rebound knob and tighten the bolt - just remember they are reverse threaded. These forks are very easy to service, you can get the service manual HERE.

Let's see those Griffins!!-captured.jpg

As far as your over-reach, a short stem would help, plus you can play with your stack height to get the feel you are looking for. Once you get dialed in, you can cut the steer tube to the desired height.

Let's see those Griffins!!-captured1.jpg

Forgot to mention that for tubeless plusser tires I would recommend an air pump that has a digital read out.

Pinehurst NC
    so I finally got to take out the bike on a ride.. (life got in the way all other weekends and weather)

Impressions.

- I love the plus tires, still need to convert the rear to tubeless, given it had a defect, VeeTire sent me a new rear tire, so I'll take it all to bike shop soon enough.
    - What kind of gauge are you guys using to accurately set tire pressures?
    - The brakes suck majorly. I don't want to ride the bike again until I upgrade them.
    - I need to adjust the cockpit... I feel like I'm too reached over the front, made it hard to wheelie or pick up the front tire... I feel like I don't have leverage or something... would the best thing be to pick up a short stem and drop the handlebars as low as they go on the steerer? Maybe get some bars with some rise?

Also, I noticed something concerning... after the ride, I put my bike on it's side in my truck and noticed that there was oil seeping out of the adjuster... I'm assuming this isn't good. What should I do?
    Yep, the stock brakes sucked for me too! Time for a SLX/XT upgrade!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Forgot to mention that for tubeless plusser tires I would recommend an air pump that has a digital read out.
    Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I already have an SKS floor pump, would like to avoid buying another so I think I'll just pick up a guage with a presta valve adapter or something.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info!

Unfortunately I already have an SKS floor pump, would like to avoid buying another so I think I'll just pick up a guage with a presta valve adapter or something.
    Were you able to get your fork issue resolved??

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Were you able to get your fork issue resolved??
    I did tighten it and gave it a couple jounces and didnít see any leaking. I suppose a test ride will be the true tell.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    New rider here from Vegas! Just wanted to drop in on this post. Havenít been in the game too long, but picked up an older rigid steel frame a few months back and rode around before deciding to drop on a better bike. After some research came across this post and with the help of your guysí info decided to pull the trigger. So far I have about 50 miles on and loving it. Definitely planning on changing brakes and going tubeless. So far have made 2 attempts with the tube method in the front alone and failed. Still learning my way around bikes.

Only changes as of now are:
    - SRAM 28t chainring
    - Red Monkey 6.5mm grips
    - Slammed stem (still need to cut)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Grooovy View Post
    New rider here from Vegas! Just wanted to drop in on this post. Havenít been in the game too long, but picked up an older rigid steel frame a few months back and rode around before deciding to drop on a better bike. After some research came across this post and with the help of your guysí info decided to pull the trigger. So far I have about 50 miles on and loving it. Definitely planning on changing brakes and going tubeless. So far have made 2 attempts with the tube method in the front alone and failed. Still learning my way around bikes.

Only changes as of now are:
    - SRAM 28t chainring
    - Red Monkey 6.5mm grips
    - Slammed stem (still need to cut)
    Looking good! Welcome to the forums, and keep the pics coming!

It will help to have another wrap of tape around the rim, plus you can use a nylon strap around the circumference of the tire, this will push the bead of the tire toward the rim. I have had luck doing this with a friends fat bike trying to get the bead to set.

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_20110917_104230.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the tip Soul! Iíll have to give that a try.

Got 9 miles in before work today and the brakes had a mind of their own. Some sections theyíd feel really spongy while others felt good, so Iíll have to look into that until I can upgrade. Other than that still riding amazing. Looking forward to March, weíll be taking a quick trip to Sedona, AZ to check out the MTB Festival and get some riding in out there.

Pinehurst NC
    The Hayes brakes were like Avid Elixir... but worse. Dumped them after the 2nd ride. Rotors are salvageable though of you choose. Never can go wrong with a Shimano Deore (or above) brakeset. Sold the Hayes for 40 bucks, bought some XT's.... but you can grab Deores for just under a hundred....they are just as strong as XT. Congrats on the Griffin, does really well with more front travel a dropper and shorter stem.... whole different bike.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    I used the ratchet strap trick on the wife's wheelset and it was a huge, huge help. What made it really nice was I only needed a floor pump to set these massive tires up. The picture I showed earlier is a little misleading, you don't want to wrinkle the tire like it shows. Instead, you just want to make the strap snug.

Let's see those Griffins!!-42191548-9ef1-4e59-ab68-f6a60b2f3126.jpg

Once you have pulled the tube out (to set one side of the bead) and put the tire back onto the rim, snug up the strap centered all the way around, valve core removed. This will allow you to start to pull the bead up onto the rim by hand, you will need to set at least half the bead onto the rim to get this to work. Once you start to pull the bead onto the rim, give the strap a few clicks to help hold the tire up onto the rim. If you wrinkle the tire like in the other picture, it will allow air to escape too quickly. Continue around until you get at least half way around or you notice the tire stays squished when you squeeze it together. Hold it there and have a buddy give a couple of pumps of air to start setting the rest of the tire. If it holds after a few pumps, back the strap off and continue pumping air until it sets the bead. I have tried this trick successfully on all four of our Griffin wheels. I would not recommend using soap and water to help set the bead, it makes it too easy for the bead to slide back off the rim while you are trying to get the strap to hold it up. I wish I would have tried this trick the first time I tried to set the wheels up tubeless.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks for the tip! I just ended up calling it quits today after giving it a try. I had a strap laying around but even then no luck. Iím at 2 layers of clear gorilla tape, valve core removed, and using a compressor. So far I get the idea of what I need to do but Iíd say either my technique is wrong (first time converting, three failed attempts) or the tire isnít working with me at all. Found a local shop thatíll install tubeless for $15 so Iíll just go that route and in the future try a different set of tires.

I can get the tire close to the bead before it returns to the position in the photo. Iím sure a second hand would deff help. Iíve tried hanging the wheel, laying across a container, knocking the tire as I apply air, and even considered launching the whole thing across the garage although I stopped myself haha.

mtbr member
    I know the feeling!! The first time I tried using the strap it was a total waste of time as I couldn't get it to do jack squat, so they sat in the basement until I went back with a clear head. Do you have at least one spot of the bead that is up on the rim - even just an inch? I had a spot up on the rim on each wheel I did, I just started to pull the bead up from that area and worked to the closest side to the valve stem. I guess I should have made a video when I was doing this.

Pinehurst NC
    Always seat Vee + tires dry, works like a charm... then add stans through the open valve stem!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I can usually get a decent section beaded on the rim but the opposite side caves back in. Might just give it a try again tomorrow doing what you mentioned with an extra set of hands. Called the shop and looks like theyíre behind on maintenance as their mechanic was away.

Ended up placing an order on XT brakes, shorter stem, and a pair of gloves while I was at it. Hopefully Iíll have everything in this weekend.

mtbr member
    I can usually get a decent section beaded on the rim but the opposite side caves back in. Might just give it a try again tomorrow doing what you mentioned with an extra set of hands. Called the shop and looks like theyíre behind on maintenance as their mechanic was away.

Ended up placing an order on XT brakes, shorter stem, and a pair of gloves while I was at it. Hopefully Iíll have everything in this weekend.
    An extra set of hands will help tremendously - and you can ratchet the strap as much as you need, just don't wrinkle the tire. This weekend will be my first ride back on the bike since the big wreck, my left wrist is still giving me fits, but I have to get back out there while the getting (and weather) is good. I just can't pass up 60 degree weather!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Weíve been having similar weather here in Vegas too. Need to get out there before the heat comes back in! Luckily Mt. Charleston isnít too far and always a bit cooler, but there arenít as many trails there.

On another note, XT brakes came in today and Iíll try to get around to installing them tomorrow. Not too sure if Iím supposed to be making any changes to the stock rotors as Iíll be running them for now or if I was supposed to order any mounting bracket parts in addition to the brake set. Im hoping they just bolt on and will be good to go. Shouldíve thought about it sooner...

mtbr member
    Dec 2017

One thing you might try...it works sometimes for me depending on tire...once you have the bead on one side take a tire tool and and run it around the other side pulling the tire onto the bead..you will know if its working because as you go around the tire it will get harder to move the tire tool...once you get back to where you started it will be tight on the tool...like I said it works sometimes for me depending on the tire you are trying to set up...another thing I do sometimes on stubborn tires is put an inner tube in the tire...inflate it until the bead sets and either leave it sitting for a day or so or ride it...then I undo one side and pull the inner tube out..put the valve stem in and re set the bead...that has worked several times for me on stubborn tires...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Got the XT brakes on and got a good deal on a 50mm Thomson Stem locally! No more brake rub and definitely responds better on on the trails. Still need to shorten the cables a little more and get the steerer tube cut. Knocked out 11 miles this morning out in Blue Diamond.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Did you also change the rotors or kept the stock ones?

mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Griffin vs Goblin Evo

For those who have the Griffin and the Goblin Evo, I have a Goblin Evo and wondering if you can fit 27.5+ tires on it. Also wondering if it'd drop the bottom bracket too much for decent riding.
    Last edited by Riggzola; 02-26-2018 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Missed some words.
    Ride you must

Pinehurst NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Riggzola View Post
    For those who have the Griffin and the Goblin Evo, I have a Goblin Evo and wondering if you can fit 27.5+ tires on it. Also wondering if it'd drop the bottom bracket too much for decent riding.
    Probably not the Goblin Evo with 3" tires, it's 142 x 12mm rear so it might be tighter, but most bikes that ran a 2.4" 29 can run a 2.8" 27.5. Not sure what fork your goblin came with either, however every 29 Rock Shox boost fork I've seen fits up to 29+... Not sure on older Reba though
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ended up keeping the stock rotors for now. Might change them out down the road but they work good enough for now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    shimano XT brakes on the way... haven't installed bike brakes before, so hoping it's not too difficult.

mtbr member
    shimano XT brakes on the way... haven't installed bike brakes before, so hoping it's not too difficult.
    It will be a breeze to install the new shoes, and you will really enjoy the extra stopping power the XT's give you.

mtbr member

Back on the trail

It has been a long road (trail?) to recovery, with my left wrist still really bothering me. I saw the Ortho doc yesterday and he suggests an MRI, but need to wait for prior approval from the insurance company - it bugs me they can dictate my care. Anywho, I got a few miles in last night before I couldn't take the pain anymore, but it felt really good to be back out there, even if I am just rolling on the bunny hill.

Newest updates to the steed are Schwalbe Nobby Nic's, 3.0 front and 2.8 rear. A pretty aggressive tire, but they setup very easily tubeless, and they feel good on the trail.

Let's see those Griffins!!-20180314_183842.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    Love the Nics- my favorite fall and spring tire! Buzzy on the Griffin on hardpack though.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Hey fellas. Gearing up for my season of mixed downhill (Utah) on the griffin. I've ordered some new XT brakes, and will be trying out the 140mm fork conversion, along with an extender. Overall, feeling like i have outgrown the bike and want a full suspension, plus size bike with at least 150 of travel... wandering eye...

Pinehurst NC
    You planning on changing the air spring too? Makes a nice difference.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Any info on where to order the air spring assembly? Checked CRC recently and doesnít look like its available.

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    tell me more!

mtbr member
    Jul 2016
    Any info on where to order the air spring assembly? Checked CRC recently and doesnít look like its available.
    I feel like I missed a whole thread on this... What does it do? What are the benefits?

mtbr member
    The part number for the 140mm spring is 141-32156-K021, however, I cannot find one anywhere ATM. The benefit is an extra 20+ mm of travel from the fork, just a bit more squish to play with on the trail. It will also change the head tube angle at full compression, something else to be aware of if you get too gnarly in your riding.

Here is the breakdown sheet:

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture4.jpg

There are two 20mm plastic bumpstops (at least that is what I think they are), one on each leg when you remove the casting. These two pieces are not listed or shown on any parts breakdown sheet that I have found, nor can I find any literature/material that explains their purpose. The airspring upgrade will ensure you will get the full 140mm of travel with the two plastic spacers removed, that is, if you can find one.

Let's see those Griffins!!-120_2970.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    Bad news.....I think I'm reframing the Griffin for something slacker, shorter and darker.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Bad news.....I think I'm reframing the Griffin for something slacker, shorter and darker.
    What did you end up picking out for a new steed?

Pinehurst NC
    18' Nukeproof Scout 27.5 frame, 27.5+/29 2.6" 65* HTA...
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    18' Nukeproof Scout 27.5 frame, 27.5+/29 2.6" 65* HTA...
    Nice! Been eyeing bikes for a while now. Was considering getting that, the Vitus Sentier VRS, or Commencal. Similar price points from what I remember. Although just got the Griffin. Hopefully I can get something decent for it locally.

CoolArrow
    I eyeballed that Nuke Proof too, but ended up on a Dartmoor Hornet.

65* head angle, 420mm chainstays, and accepts 180mm (or more!) forks.

Takes up to 2.8" tire in the frame and has a 142mm rear, no boost. I have 170mm RS Yari and 2.6 tires. I gave the 3.0's an honest run but that's just too much volume for me. The 2.6 seems a good balance, though next time i may give 2.8's another go.

Rides very different from the Griffin, obvious I guess, given the numbers, but it's just as fun, in a different way I guess

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard Ė website

Pinehurst NC
    Yeah, same overall HT concept between all the frames mentioned. I'm looking forward to it, over been overriding the Griffin's trail abilities for a while, we'll see if the long/low/slack is really where its at. I'll be 27.5+/2.8 and 29 2.4-2.6 on the new setup with the 140mm/48mm offset. I've found real speed with the 2.8 and sidewall flex get scary sometimes....2.4 just hooks
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Sooo got the XT brakes mounted and theyíre definitely better than stock.

I still feel like I canít dominate this bike. I must need to work on sharp turning. I kinda wish it was a bit shorter maybe.

I also canít pick up the front as easy as Iíd like. I feel like I may need a riser bar and a shorter stem. My arms are fully stretched out right now. I have pretty good upper body strength, itís a leverage issue. And I think a dropper could help too. On sharper high speed turns the bike has so much grip I want to lean it but the seat gets in the way a bit. Maybe a mod in the future.

CoolArrow
    What size and how tall are you?

Love my xt brakes, quite a grip and stopping power.

While a good rider can get by on most any bike, the geometry on the Griffin can make you work for it (im not judging your ability as a rider ).

On mine, i immediately swapped to 50mm stem, and it made a huge difference. Decent pedals also help a lot. Droppers are a godsend, and while it didnt make me a better rider, itcsure makes things easier and smoother. Also, braking - a little bit - before your turn will allow better control of the bike before you hit the apex, and you can exit faster than if you just try to blast the entire turn.

The steep-ish head angle and longer back end indeed make you work a bit to really get it to handle, but it is fairly stable at speed, and does pretty well at medium paced tech stuff...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard Ė website

CoolArrow
    Yeah, same overall HT concept between all the frames mentioned. I'm looking forward to it, over been overriding the Griffin's trail abilities for a while, we'll see if the long/low/slack is really where its at. I'll be 27.5+/2.8 and 29 2.4-2.6 on the new setup with the 140mm/48mm offset. I've found real speed with the 2.8 and sidewall flex get scary sometimes....2.4 just hooks
    For me, long-slack-low is where its at no doubt about it. holds the line i put it in, and it moves with confidence when you need to change course, sometimes abruptly. The short rear end lets the front get up with ease (manuals, bunny hops, tech moves) and low standover keeps it comfy.

If Airborne did a 65* head angle, short rear end hard tail, I'd be all over it, especially if it were titanium (hint?)

None of that is to deride the Griffin, btw. Its a great bike for its target. If hadnt been for it, I'd not even consider a hard tail at my age

https://youtu.be/uLW2iHmUtIY
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard Ė website

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    What size and how tall are you?

Love my xt brakes, quite a grip and stopping power.

While a good rider can get by on most any bike, the geometry on the Griffin can make you work for it (im not judging your ability as a rider ).

On mine, i immediately swapped to 50mm stem, and it made a huge difference. Decent pedals also help a lot. Droppers are a godsend, and while it didnt make me a better rider, itcsure makes things easier and smoother. Also, braking - a little bit - before your turn will allow better control of the bike before you hit the apex, and you can exit faster than if you just try to blast the entire turn.

The steep-ish head angle and longer back end indeed make you work a bit to really get it to handle, but it is fairly stable at speed, and does pretty well at medium paced tech stuff...
    I got the small frame and Iím 5í7.

Iím not a great rider but Iím not terrible I donít think. I suck at climbing but thatís a lot more on my engine. I just really want to be able to whip it around. And Iím sure that may take some practice.

What dropper is recommended?

Doesnít a steep head angle mean sharper turn in? Like a XC bike. I honestly donít know much about how geo really translates to ride feel. But, I figure slacker means a bit slower but better for downhill high speed stability and taking bumps.

I do want a shorter stem. I ordered one already but got the wrong clamp size. Opened it so didnít even bother asking jenson

Stone Jack Baller
    Let's see those Griffins!!-c6ee1d06-7e3e-422a-9c9d-47be477ffee8.jpeg

Pinehurst NC
    I'll shoot some pics of my Griffin as is right now. 140mm mod, 50mm stem, Ascent 2 120mm dropper, 1" riser bars, XT brakes, and DT wheels.
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

CoolArrow
    I got the small frame and Iím 5í7.

Iím not a great rider but Iím not terrible I donít think. I suck at climbing but thatís a lot more on my engine. I just really want to be able to whip it around. And Iím sure that may take some practice.

What dropper is recommended?

Doesnít a steep head angle mean sharper turn in? Like a XC bike. I honestly donít know much about how geo really translates to ride feel. But, I figure slacker means a bit slower but better for downhill high speed stability and taking bumps.

I do want a shorter stem. I ordered one already but got the wrong clamp size. Opened it so didnít even bother asking jenson
    (Sounds like you have the right size bike) The bike will just take some time getting used to. Flow, control and dominance will come after while. At first, you feel like you're a rider ON the bike, and you're doing what you can to coax it along. There's a point where you feel like you and the bike are operating as one unit, where you are deciding everything that happens. Takes a while, keep with it, you'll get there!

I'm not a fan of the Reverb droppers... I'm using one from KS. There's also a budget friendly dropper from a company called Brand-X. If you do a forum search, there's a good discussion about that one in particular.

A lot of factors affect how fast/slow a bike will turn and feel; the main one being the head tube angle. Yes, steeper will be quicker like an XC, but at higher speeds it will feel "twitchy", expecially over rougher terrain. Honestly I had no problems railing the Griffin very fast, (same for the Hobgoblin/Goblins that I had), especially on smoother trails. You're correct about slacker - it's slower turning, so when you're really trying to make a tight turn, it's trickier to put the bike where you want it. Also on climbs it behaves differently (not worse - just different) as well.

The fat tires on the Griffin do help give a more stable ride, also a wider bar might help too. (I run 780mm on my trail bike and 800mm wide on my DH).

I'd email Jenson about your stem, as long as you haven't ridden the stem, they're usually great about returns/exchanges.
    Last edited by jhazard; 04-29-2018 at 08:35 AM. Reason: I'm old
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard Ė website

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yeah I'm sure it will take more riding. You're right I do feel for the most part like I'm on the back rather than in it.

The bike has soooo much grip.

I'll look into droppers. I honestly didn't feel too much twitchyness in any of my riding. So I think fast steering is good to me... could be a little faster even, but maybe I'm not leaning enough or maybe I'm not trusting enough of the grip. I feel like on sweeping turns it's mostly taking a longer arc, again and sometimes too wide, leading to me having to brake sometimes on the exit of a turn because I could be going off path... I didn't think I was going 'too fast'.... this could be a rider issue (most likely!).

I will look into replacing that stem with a shorter one and I think a wider bar with some rise may be good too. I definitely want adjust the cockpit, as I think perhaps my arms being stretched out too much may mean that it may be making it a bit difficult to steer as comfortably as I'd like as I'm stretched out.

CoolArrow
    @Soulchicken: was this you? You parked right next to me at peformance... I had driven off before I put two and two together, when I returned you guys had left... next time...

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard Ė website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    @Soulchicken: was this you? You parked right next to me at peformance... I had driven off before I put two and two together, when I returned you guys had left... next time...
    Yep that was us! The Mrs. had a doctors appt. in Alb, so we loaded up the Griffins and took our first shot at White Ridge before the winds kicked up. A great trail, but all the fun is at the beginning, with a long climb back to the truck to finish the ride. I am glad we gave it a shot, the Griffin rode well there on Saturday morning.
    I like hitting up Performance Bike when I am in Alb, they usually have some really good deals on gear. I walked out there with three jerseys and only paid 35 bucks. Nice!

Let's see those Griffins!!-wrgriffin.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-20180512_120332.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-20180512_120408.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Glad to hear the wrists are OK, or at least ride-able. I've got a buddy here who broke both of his in a motorcycle accident and while he's about as healed as he's going to be, his riding days are over due to limited range of motion and strength in both wrists.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
    Glad to hear the wrists are OK, or at least ride-able. I've got a buddy here who broke both of his in a motorcycle accident and while he's about as healed as he's going to be, his riding days are over due to limited range of motion and strength in both wrists.
    That is terrible! My riding ability has changed, I am not nearly at the level I used to be, and White Ridge confirmed that. I got lucky as I can still ride, although my left wrist is still giving me a lot of trouble. I saw a hand specialist yesterday in Durango (I should have gone there to begin with...) who viewed my MRI. He showed me a section of my wrist where there is bone that isn't healing, it is just floating there, and my original ortho doc missed it. That floating piece is causing fluid to leak into the space between my ulna and radius, which causing all the pain. He was curious to see if I was Vitamin D deficient since it has been over five months since the injury, so he ordered a supplement test. My blood-work came back good, so the next step is a CT scan to get better detail so he can decide if microsurgery is an option. Here is a shot of the floating fragment - you can also see the radial break. Nasty!

Let's see those Griffins!!-capture.jpg

Brand Account
    Matte black Griffin's available soon...

Let's see those Griffins!!-img_2515.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornebicycles View Post
    Matte black Griffin's available soon...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2515.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	125.3 KB 
ID:	1199465
    Wait, what? That looks baaad-ass! Will we be able to order just the frame?

Brand Account
    Wait, what? That looks baaad-ass! Will we be able to order just the frame?
    We will be offering this as a complete, powder coated locally. We are not planning on offering the frame for sale on its own, but if you would like to get your hands on one, that could easily be arranged!

mtbr member
    So awesome, I will have to pass that along to the Mrs., the age of 48 is next month, and this would give me some nice separation from her Griffin! Twinsies isn't fun all the time... lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    oh man, I kinda wish that frame would have been available. Although I do like the bright green.

Brand Account
    If anyone is interested in a Griffin demo bike, we've got some up in our factory outlet store now. These bikes were only used for photo purposes and are in like-new condition for a highly discounted price.

Pinehurst NC
    They're already a steal, without any discounts. If mine was just a tad slacker for my riding style.....
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    and the deals keep coming! Wow, seriously how much better can they get!?

mtbr member
    Time for a fork service and some new seals from Real World Cycling, Enduro Seals. Easy enough to install and change out all the fluids.

Let's see those Griffins!!-griffin1.jpg

Let's see those Griffins!!-griffin2.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    how do you know when it's time to change out?

mtbr member
    how do you know when it's time to change out?
    What I was really setting out to accomplish was using a thinner oil than what I normally run, primarily due to my left wrist pain. Since I was changing out the fluid, I may as well go ahead and do the seals as well since I have been riding the bike for two and a half years. Since the wrist breaks, I haven't even come close to using full travel on the bike, and don't want to change air pressure due to brake dive. The seals haven't been leaking or anything, in fact, the fork has been flawless since day one. I am just one of those guys that like to keep it that way. Going with something thinner has made my wrist easier to live with, and I am getting more travel out of the fork.

For reference, here is a suspension oil chart that lists the viscosity of just about every oil used in fork suspensions. Maxima 5 oil isn't easy to find sometimes, so it is nice to be able to get something close to the viscosity numbers locally without having to order fluids online.

Pinehurst NC
    Haven't posted in a long while.... sold a house and building another (while living in our 32" RV) had really dampened my riding time. House is almost done, kids are back in school... so back to 30+ miles per week! My Griffin had went through a few phases, including the 140mm/ 35mm ID rims with 2.8 and pedal strikes and a steeper HTA really caused me some issues... so now its 120mm/29+ and my primary fun XC bike. Less suspension, no more dropper, lighter and climbs better... Let's see those Griffins!!-screenshot_20180902-204312.jpg
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    You lost me at "no more dropper," Charlie! Looking good, I really like the Eastons on there.

Took the Griffin north to Twin Buttes, Durango CO. Next mod for the bike will be the bars, going to try and give them a fresh coat of paint to better match the rest of the bike.

Let's see those Griffins!!-griffin.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    You lost me at "no more dropper," Charlie! Looking good, I really like the Eastons on there.

Took the Griffin north to Twin Buttes, Durango CO. Next mod for the bike will be the bars, going to try and give them a fresh coat of paint to better match the rest of the bike.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Griffin.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	1215205
    Truth is, since I'm 5'11.... and it's a 16" with a 50mm stem... I can get back past the seat and really low. Plus, this had really become my XC whip, not my trail whip.... with a 150mm dropper!
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Truth is, since I'm 5'11.... and it's a 16" with a 50mm stem... I can get back past the seat and really low. Plus, this had really become my XC whip, not my trail whip.... with a 150mm dropper!
    I tried a short stem on my 18" Goblin and it felt like I was going to go over the bars all the time. You being an inch taller than I, how do you not get the same sensation on a 16" frame?

Pinehurst NC
    How do you mean OTB, like crash OTB, or just odd feeling in the seat? I'm only a 32" inseam, seat is very pedal efficient (high/roadie style) and I run far back on the rails, which probably moves me more rearward. I swapped trail bikes the other day with a guy I met on a killer single track, he rode my 140mm B+ Stache and I rode his Fuel EX... his low seat position killed my quads.. and 80mm stem felt really, well, fuzzy and numb to steer and really floppy when I was standing and mashing up hills. I came to MTB from MX though and bikes always had 0 offset direct mount bars, so I think I'm really just used to that steering feel
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    How do you mean OTB, like crash OTB, or just odd feeling in the seat? I'm only a 32" inseam, seat is very pedal efficient (high/roadie style) and I run far back on the rails, which probably moves me more rearward. I swapped trail bikes the other day with a guy I met on a killer single track, he rode my 140mm B+ Stache and I rode his Fuel EX... his low seat position killed my quads.. and 80mm stem felt really, well, fuzzy and numb to steer and really floppy when I was standing and mashing up hills. I came to MTB from MX though and bikes always had 0 offset direct mount bars, so I think I'm really just used to that steering feel
    Odd feeling in the seat, very uncomfortable, and it felt too far forward for my liking. Then again, I was going off the sizing chart for height, and picked up a medium sized Goblin. With an inseam of 34 1/2", I should have gone with a large. It all worked out, I found a guy on here selling his large frame, so I picked it up and have a short stem on it like the Griffin and Plague. I would guess we like the same feel on our bikes going for a close cockpit like that, but it feels great.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    went riding yesterday, had a nice time! I still feel like I have to adjust my ergonomics some. I feel like I may be too far forward over the front wheel, as I had said before I find it difficult to pick up the front wheel and wheelie this thing. And I feel like I may be a bit over-reached when in the saddle (along with standard width of bars)

It's not that I'm looking to do wheelies but I'd like to be able to pick up the wheel sometimes so as avoid an obstacle or something or when taking a drop or something.

I actually bought a shorter stem, but it's the larger diameter clamp size so don't work with standard bars. I also think I may want to get a bar with some rise in it along with the short stem.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Let's see those Griffins!!-img_1037.jpg

My Griffin... Tandell carbon fork, Hope E4's with XT rotors, tires set up tubeless, opened up the cable stops and ran full length housing, 28t Sram DM ring, Saint flats, PNW dropper post, Salsa Rustler3 bar, still need to grab a shorter stem and find a more suitable saddle. Really having a blast on the bike, all of my others are gathering dust

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Anybody still riding their Griffins?

I'm still riding mine, however I am looking at maybe buying another frame in the near future. I'd like something with a shorter rear end and I'd like to try a slacker geometry. Possibly a steel frame. Also I'm thinking I may want to reduce to a 2.8 tire... not really sure 3.0+ is necessary for me.

Either way, the bike still is fun and I did a nice long ride last Sunday, I did slip off the bars and crash but thankfully all ok.

mtbr member
    I'm still riding mine. Old geometry and damn those chainstays are long!

I keep both tires on the ground so it is great for me. I had changed out the tires to 3.0 Rocket Rons but ended up putting that stock monster front tire back on. To heck with the weight - with that tire on I feel quite confident in what I can ride through and over.

It will start seeing less saddle time starting this spring. Getting a new bike but the Griffin will still have a place.

And one thing about the Griffin. It just looks awesome!

tatuowen - nice job! You got that thing blinged out!!!

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I still do think it's a looker. That long rear end fights me though.

Couple of pics from my most recent rides.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Members who have read this thread: 35