If Airborne were smart..............- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

If Airborne were smart..............

They'd offer the Goblin EVO as a Frame only option.............just sayin..................

Anyone else think that would be a smart move?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MMcG View Post
    They'd offer the Goblin EVO as a Frame only option.............just sayin..................

Anyone else think that would be a smart move?
    It's hard to say. Having a frame option increases SKU quantities. That makes inventory a little harder and increase costs. If they are getting enough requests I can see them offer it. Maybe offer a less expensive version of the Evo for people to start with and build from if money is the problem. Depends on how many and what requests they are getting. I know I love my Evo that I bought last year! The Evo is a great bike in a category that I think is not getting much play from the big companies. (29er hardtail trail bike, except for one Specialized model and a couple of the Trek Staches) Putting it out there definitely lets them know how many people would be looking for that frame. I know I tossed out my idea to bring back the Wingman in a geared version. I just don't know how many people have the same needs as us to make it worth running a whole SKU line.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    The Evo is a great bike in a category that I think is not getting much play from the big companies. (29er hardtail trail bike, except for one Specialized model and a couple of the Trek Staches)
    It's getting more common. You're forgetting the Kona Taro and Honzo, and Specialized now has a total of 3 models that fit the description (2 Rockhopper Evos and a Stumpjumper Evo). Of the top 5 US mountain bike manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Giant, Kona, Cannondale), 3 have at least two models that fall into the "29er trail hardtail" category, and one has pretty much dropped 29ers from its range entirely (so shouldn't be expected to have one).

Rocks belong
    Site doesn't mention the Goblin EVO's chainstay length... and the frame appears to be geared only. Not sure this one is up your alley MMcG.

But, yes, they have been asked several times when they're going to offer the Goblin EVO as a frame only. No real good response yet that I've read.
    I like 'em long, low, slack and playful

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by coleam View Post
    It's getting more common. You're forgetting the Kona Taro and Honzo, and Specialized now has a total of 3 models that fit the description (2 Rockhopper Evos and a Stumpjumper Evo). Of the top 5 US mountain bike manufacturers (Trek, Specialized, Giant, Kona, Cannondale), 3 have at least two models that fall into the "29er trail hardtail" category, and one has pretty much dropped 29ers from its range entirely (so shouldn't be expected to have one).
    Trust me, I am very happy to see the area expanding. I really like hardtails and to have a 29er with more than 100mm travel is really nice. I like that Airborne gives the Evo option and there are obviously many people who like this model too!