I have a tire issue with my Seeker- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

I have a tire issue with my Seeker

I have only put about 40 or so miles on my new seeker. Butt hurts but I have enjoyed every minute. I noticed today while cleaning up that there seems to be two spots now where the center of the tire has gone bald. I did have to occasions on the way to the trail where I had to stop very abruptly. (Breaks worked flawlessly)

Is it normal to have the center have bald spots? Did i get a bad tire? Am i just a fat ass rider that just cant hit the breaks hard?

If i do need to replace the tires what are some more budget suggestions that will be used 50/50 street/single track.

Thanks in advance,
    Jason

mtbr member
    Can you post some pics of the tire?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I have a tire issue with my Seeker-20150322_233504.jpgI have a tire issue with my Seeker-20150322_233518.jpgI have a tire issue with my Seeker-1.jpg

First and second have the damage and the 3rd is a normal spot. Sorry for the crappy pics phone was almost dead.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I have ridden one season so far on my seeker. The rear tire is pretty worn in the center, the edges look good. The front tire looks very good. No bald spots, but I haven't locked up the brakes on the road, either.

If I were you, wouldn't worry about it unless its all around on the tire.

mtbr member
    Wow thats pretty bad! I was picturing just a few knobs missing, that's definitely not normal. Were you skidding for an extended period of time?

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That looks weird, not sure what to say?? Maybe it was caused by a long skid, seems hard to believe??

Do you own a large dog?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I had a car back out of a driveway. I was about full speed down hill. was about a 3 foot skid. Was that or eat a car.

And just a small beagle.

RAKC
    Dude USE YOUR FRONT BRAKES TOO lol. Ive been spun out down a hill and been able to stop faster by not skidding by sliding back on the seat and nailing both brakes. Rear brake at speed is speed control not for stopping alone lol.

Not trying to be harsh or anything but rear tires regardless, on pavement a hard skid with a big guy on the bike equals shredded tread. Practice full speed stops controlling the brakes not to skid ull find you stop faster and have more control. Takes some getting used to (trust me I know lol) but its safer and tires last longer if mixing payment and dirt.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I would suggest taking a better pic and sending it to Geax customer service and see if they will send you a new tire. You can still ride it like that. The tires are very inexpensive to buy since they are not a real popular style (the Geax AKA's). If you want to change, maybe Racing Ralphs seem popular for XC racing. I actually think the AKA are pretty good for mixed street and dirt work. If more dirt, I would suggest 2015 Nobby Nics. I just got a pair and they look nice on the bike, waiting for snowpack to melt to try them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    A good long skid will do that, especially on the street. I see it all the time, especially with good soft rubber tires. Also running higher pressure, 40+psi, and road riding will eat up the center of tires like that. Not as abnormal as you might think.
    Last edited by RSDSav; 03-23-2015 at 05:15 AM. Reason: number typo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Dude USE YOUR FRONT BRAKES TOO lol. Ive been spun out down a hill and been able to stop faster by not skidding by sliding back on the seat and nailing both brakes. Rear brake at speed is speed control not for stopping alone lol.

Not trying to be harsh or anything but rear tires regardless, on pavement a hard skid with a big guy on the bike equals shredded tread. Practice full speed stops controlling the brakes not to skid ull find you stop faster and have more control. Takes some getting used to (trust me I know lol) but its safer and tires last longer if mixing payment and dirt.
    What this guy said. You'll stop much faster by not skidding....think ABS on a car. Locking up the rear tire on the pavement will do that to a tire, looks like you're SOL