Huanglung/van-nichols/airborne? "cheap" Ti hard tails.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Huanglung/van-nichols/airborne? "cheap" Ti hard tails.

there is a guy on ebay in Taiwan selling these frames for 599. 4lb at 20 inch.

599 is CHEAP.

the pics look ok. "bullet" ends on the chain and seat stays. nice drop outs. it even has rack mounts (why not?)

by only question, i saw a mag review of the base level van-nichols that said that at the rear it only had clearance for a 1.9 inch tyre. and while most of the time im planning to have this thing built super light as my weight obsessive climbing bike... so i was thinking of a 1.9 at the back anyway. but all the same. 2.1's are nice. and never being able to bung 2.3's in the back would bassiclaly rule the bike out for me.

id rather pay the 500-1000 for a second had titus or something... as a ti frame does kind of last forever at XC stuff?

what do you think? a quality second hand Ti frame from Titus, Dean, Lightspeed?

the real Gucci brands like Ibis, Seven and Merlin seem to get about 1500 second hand on ebay...

but the money isnt my primary concern???

what to do what to do?
    i sold my Foes fly for 99p!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I bought one on Ebay and the actual tire clearance is 2.75" So you could easily run a 2.2

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The main problem that I see with a lot of the cheaper titanium frames is weight. Most weigh around 4 pounds like the one you saw. You can get a lot of nice steel frames that weigh about 4.5 for a lot less money. If you are going to build a frame out of titanium why not make it light? If it were me I would look for a used, lighter frame.

Five is right out
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ljsmith
    The main problem that I see with a lot of the cheaper titanium frames is weight. Most weigh around 4 pounds like the one you saw. You can get a lot of nice steel frames that weigh about 4.5 for a lot less money. If you are going to build a frame out of titanium why not make it light? If it were me I would look for a used, lighter frame.
    I weighed one of the 18" frames a year ago. Off memory, it came out to 1600g.
    Since when did the phrase "invest in" come to mean the same as "buy"?

Members who have read this thread: 0