Hobgoblin suspension rebuild. Pivot bolt question.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2013

New question here. Hobgoblin suspension rebuild. Pivot bolt question.

I've started the process of rebuilding my Hobgoblin's suspension and ran into a question hopefully somebody here can help answer. I have the rear triangle removed and the bearings there already swapped out, but I'm at a bit of a loss as to how to remove the connecting bolts on the two pivot linkages. It looks like it's just an M6 hex on one side and a 17mm nut on the other, but I can't get them to come apart. Do I just need to apply some more mechanical persuasion?Maybe some PB blaster or liquid wrench? Am I'm missing simple?

Pictured: one of the two pivot connections in question:Hobgoblin suspension rebuild. Pivot bolt question.-img_20160922_175543.jpgHobgoblin suspension rebuild. Pivot bolt question.-img_20160922_175556.jpg

mtbr member
    You are correct - it should be that simple. The bolts are aluminum and have loctite on them from the factory. It may require a little bit of effort to remove, especially if its not been undone in a few seasons of dirt and riding. Be certain you have a 17mm wrench that only has 6 points on it for best fit, the 12 tend to not have as much purchase area and are more prone to rounding the head off.

Hope that helps,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Thanks Jeremy! I ended up figuring it out late yesterday evening, the answer was indeed the careful application of more force. I applied a some more more leverage (thanks old seat post!) and the fasteners finally budged.

Now that the frame has been disassembled it's time for a deep clean and some fresh bearings!