Hobgoblin Front Der- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Upset Hobgoblin Front Der

I'm having a helluva time adjusting my front der on my HobGoblin. I can't seem to keep it from jumping off the big ring when I shift. It jumps to the outside and lands on the crank arm.
    I've played with the limit screws to infinity. I've attempted to adjust the height of the der and nothing brings any satisfaction.
    It's a replacement der X9. It appears when I have Der mounted properly that the FD motion was limited by the mounting plate and the bottom limit screw wasn't even hitting the stop when screwed all the way in.
    Any ideas? suggestion? any help appreciated. I've contacted Airborne but have not heard back (big surprise...)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I found this video the most helpful in adjusting my front der.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQk29enhRQ

But if it's jumping off the big ring then it sounds like your outer limit screw is too far out.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It probably isn't angled correctly. Sounds like it is straight with the chain ring, not the chain line. Swing the back end of the derailleur towards the bottom bracket a little bit and try that.

This is assuming it is a clamp on FD. If it is braze on, it should center itself correctly with only minor adjustment at the mount.

mtbr member
    Thank God for 1X - I couldn't ditch the front derailleur fast enough.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    I found this video the most helpful in adjusting my front der.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLQk29enhRQ

But if it's jumping off the big ring then it sounds like your outer limit screw is too far out.
    I've adjusted both screws to infinity.... as I mentioned before. I've had two mechanics adjust the limit screws as well. no love. I will check out the video though. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I'm not interested in 1x for a variety of reasons. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrozz View Post
    I've adjusted both screws to infinity.... as I mentioned before. I've had two mechanics adjust the limit screws as well. no love. I will check out the video though. Thanks.
    Did you adjust cable tension as well? The limit screws adjust high/low movement at either end, but cable tension determines how far it jumps with each shift. I would assume if you had mechanics look at it, then yes, but just covering all the bases.

mtbr member
    Agreed with the angle suggestion. Try it just a smudge. Also, double check that it's a 2X der. Wound shift correctly if it's not (I've tried before)

mtbr member
    Agreed with the angle suggestion. Try it just a smidge. Also, double check that it's a 2X der. Woundnt shift correctly if it's not (I've tried before)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrozz View Post
    I'm not interested in 1x for a variety of reasons. Thanks.
    I wasn't suggesting you do switch, I am just saying I am glad I did since I hate messing with FD's.

mtbr member
    Tom I shot you a text. I'm still in Chicago but will be at the 6hour on Saturday all day. If you bring the bike I'll bring my stand and tools and we can find some time to go over it then.

It may not just be the FD; there are several things I want to check that I've mentioned to you, but for the sake of completeness I'll put it down here.

1. Chain - not bent, worn out, or damaged
    2. Front Ring - not bent, no bent teeth, not worn out.
    3. FD clearance to the chainring - make certain the gap is correct
    4. Suspension bushings/bearings - extreme slop could cause the back end to be out of alignment which could be contributory
    5. BB installment and condition

Let me know if you will be there and I will bring my stuff, thanks!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    enjoy your 1x man! Thanks guys. Yep. I've tried barrel adjusters for cable tension. Most of the obvious stuff. The FD that's on there now is the correct X9 for the frame. Chain, FD, Big ring are not all that old - doesn't mean they're not worn out, or damaged, just no obvious signs. We'll go through those next.
    Jeremy, I'll get with you after this afternoon. Thanks for the help man!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Just adjusted my derailleurs today after a solid 100 mile break in period. Turns out, although it shifted fine at first, that Airborne had mounted the FD way too high initially. Ultimately, I ended up using the parts guide on the SRAM website to adjust mine, but it's pretty easy once you tinker with everything for a bit. Here's the Sram guide for x9:

https://sram-cdn-pull-zone-gsdesign....rs_emanual.pdf

Best tip I can give is focus on largest cog first. Screw in your barrel adjuster all the way and tighten cable once large cog is dialed in (chain is centered with cage crossmember and cage is rougly 2mm from large cog vertically). Tighten cable once cage us close, then use adjustment screw to fine tune.

Then jump down to small cog once cable is tightened. If the guide is too close to chain, you can use barrel adjuster to move away from chain, if it's too far, use high adjustment screw. If it is backing out far enough to not be touching the FD, you may have your little cog adjustment set too far toward large cog. Ideally your low screw won't be too far out as it stops high screw adjustment from working as well...
    Last edited by XxSeekLifexX; 09-15-2015 at 07:38 PM.

mtbr member
    I spoke with Chris from Black Pug Bikes at the race on Saturday, and went over all of the areas to check. He didn't bring the bike on Sat but he's got a pretty good idea now of what to look at exactly.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Put a new x7 Front Der on and problem solved! I don't think the x9 was the right one or was a little off somewhere. who knows! I railed BCSP all weekend this weekend and the Der didn't fail me once!

mtbr member
    Tom, do you have a Goblin and a Hobgoblin?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I have one of each. It was the Hobgoblin I was having issues with.