Help with Airborne Taka Formula brake conversion- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Help with Airborne Taka Formula brake conversion

I am getting tired of bringing 6' trail bikes to Platty, and tired of searching around for a cheapish DH bike so I am looking at buying the Airborne Take. I currently use Formula The One brakes on my trail bike and would obviously put these brakes on the Taka, seeing as how the Avid Juicy 3's suck. The bike comes stock with 203 mm Avid rotors

Will I need to buy the formula specific adapters to fit the 203mm rotors or can I use the Avid ones it comes with? Is it worth buying formula rotors?

Thanks for the help

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What size rotors your using with the formula brakes?
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Currently running a 180 in front and a 160 in back on my trail bike

Wait for me!
    Not sure about Formulas but most calipers just use different post mount adapters based on the size of the rotor

bike rider
    You can bolt the Formula calipers to the Avid adapters. The Avid rotors will be fine. The Formula rotors are quite a bit lighter but like $40 each. While you're improving the Taka you should ditch the stem it comes with. I assume its 888 has a normal 888 top crown so I don't know why they don't use a direct mount stem. I'll sell you a stock 888 direct mount stem for $10+shipping.
    Keep the Country country.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well my post count isn't high enough to send you a pm, weird it's not like this at the serotta forum I use to get road stuff on. But yeah I will take that stem for sure, just pm me or email. Because I am new to dh, what makes the direct mount better? I am a wrench/science kinda guy so I like to know these things. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by whoopwhoop View Post
    Not sure about Formulas but most calipers just use different post mount adapters based on the size of the rotor

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bkboom123 View Post
    Well my post count isn't high enough to send you a pm, weird it's not like this at the serotta forum I use to get road stuff on. But yeah I will take that stem for sure, just pm me or email. Because I am new to dh, what makes the direct mount better? I am a wrench/science kinda guy so I like to know these things. Thanks
    Direct mount stems like anything have their pros and cons. One is not better than the other.
    Some direct mounts are lighter than traditional stems, most will lower your bars. If you're overly tall this may not be a good thing. Direct mount stems do not rotate should you crash hard. Not a pro or a con, just know that a traditional stem may rotate enough during a crash to not break other stuff (bars, stem, crown, etc).

If you switch, don't cut your steer tube right away. Get a few runs on it to make sure that's what you want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the help. It will be a bit of a learning curve. I am still trying to lock down what size to get. They only offer 15, 17, and 19. I am 6' 175pounds but I am ALL legs, short torso. So I am leaning towards the 17.

Appreciate all the info guys.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    if i where you i would deff get the 17
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Defiantly go for the 17" frame, I have a 2007 Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho (Airborne bought up the old Iron Horse Yakuza frames) and mine is a 19", I am 6'2 and around 200 pounds. The 19" has a tall stand over, you will be more comfortable on the 17" for your first downhill bike, then you can begin to build your preferences.

Direct mount is the way to go, especially if you have a short torso as you wont need the extra reach.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    17 it is. Thanks everyone

bike rider
    I'm at the Telluride race now but I'll PM you monday. Takas I've seen have really tall bars, that's why I offered you the direct mount. You'll get a better position and drop 1/4lb+.

mtbr member
    And before you consider the brake swap, give the Juicy's a chance by using better brake pads. I use the EBC reds on mine and they are phenomenally better than stock (Universal Cycles sells them cheap). I heard the Porterfields are marginally better but cost much more. Again, make sure you break it in correctly before you feel its benefits.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bkboom123 View Post
    17 it is. Thanks everyone
    I'm 6'0 too and went with the 17". It should work well for you.
    Have fun with it!

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lelandjt View Post
    I'm at the Telluride race now but I'll PM you monday. Takas I've seen have really tall bars, that's why I offered you the direct mount. You'll get a better position and drop 1/4lb+.
    I can attest to this. I use a direct mount on my Taka to keep the bars lower - along with a set of low-rise Race Face Atlas bars.

Have not had any issues with my Avid Juicy's...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    You could try 7 or 8 inch rotors. I don't know how fast or what you ride, but I've used both of them an felt pretty good. That fork also dosnt have really any adjustments so it's gonna most likely have tons of pedal bob.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1 View Post
    You could try 7 or 8 inch rotors. I don't know how fast or what you ride, but I've used both of them an felt pretty good. That fork also dosnt have really any adjustments so it's gonna most likely have tons of pedal bob.
    Pedal bob is not such an issue on a dh bike... Not at this price anyhow. During the races I have done, when cranking flat out, pedal bob is the last thing I'm noticing.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Ok when did people start racing a taka? This bike is full of brake jack an pedal bob. A friend bought this bike and everything about it sucks. No tuning on the fork, bob, crap brakes, crap dérailleur. Have you ever road one? Of corse not so shut your mouth.
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Haha! His sig says he's on the Flight Crew. And if you saw the earlier IH Yakuzas (same exact frame), they were stamped with 2004 UCI World Cup Junior Championship sticker (at the very least, kids are fast on them).

The bike may not be as good as the newer designs and not equipped with the best components, but they're good relative to the value (I think it's still the most affordable new DH bike around).

bike rider
    Hey bkboom123, I sent you a PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Leland, money is sent. I can't message you until I get my 15th post