Hardrock to Evo- Mtbr.com

Thread: Hardrock to Evo

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

Hardrock to Evo

I'm pretty new to riding, started in 2013 and really started to enjoy it all of 2014. I currently own a Specialized Hardrock Sport (26" Wheels/vbrakes/17.5") and it get's the job done, but I'm really looking to sell that and purchase something that would fit me a bit better.

I ride anything from technical roots/rocks, climbing with tight switchbacks, to fast and flowy singletrack. If anyone is from WI, here's some examples of the types of trails.

Baird Creek Mountain Bike Trail in Green Bay, Wisconsin || SINGLETRACKS.COM
    Mountain Biking | Nordic Mountain

Worried that going from a 26" to a 29", will make a lot of those switchbacks more difficult and not be able to toss the bike around like I currently do. Can any Evo owners comment on this?
    Also on the climbs, worried that the larger diameter of the tires will make it that much more noticeable compared to my current bike.

For my skill of riding, and to match it to my current bike, the Seeker or Goblin would probably be better choices, but I feel that the Evo geo and 120mm fork will make any trails, that much more enjoyable....just feel that if I go with the Goblin, I'll just regret I didn't get the Evo...seems like a fun bike that can do it all- technical, climbing, & bombing down trails.

So can anyone that went from a basic 26" to the Evo comment on any of this?

Thank you!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    My son has a hardrock which I have ridden and I own a seeker. First off, I agree with buying the EVO, it is set up for trail really well compared to a seeker, and the price is not that much more.

The fork on the EVO compared to the hardrock is night and day better. Climbing with the EVO should be just as good if not better. You will notice the difference in being able to toss the bike around, but the EVO is supposed to be one of the better 29ers in that regard. I felt my seeker was not tossable when I first got it, but after a while and some cockpit mod's to make it fit me better, I began to feel real comfortable with it. I think the EVO will be even better in that regard. You gain a lot with 29 inch wheels and you give up a little too. Thats life.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    You give and you get. What you get is much more in the case of the Evo. As someone who held out on 29ers for over a decade because I love to whip my bike around I now love my Evo. I can't flick it around like I did my old 26ers but I gained so much more flow and smoothness on the trail. I found I was not "flicking" around some rocks etc and going over them instead. The difference between a Hardrock and Evo in parts is like a Focus and a Mustang. Nothing wrong with a Hardrock but the Evo has it beat at every point, and many of them by long shots. Climbing is good, even with the 29er tires. Remember, climbing is about keeping traction and 29er tires have a larger contact patch than 26's. This leads to more power to the ground, better overall traction. You always give a little when you change styles of bike (26 XC style to 29er trail bike) but in the long run if you look at the big picture I think you will enjoy the Evo more. The Seeker and Goblin are great too, my wife has a custom built Goblin. It just depends on how much you have to spend and if you are looking for XC or Trail. (oh I remember when we called "trail" just mountain biking... I digress) Oh, ask whatever questions you have, we all around here love to help!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah what they said. Seriously get the bike that is going to meet your needs and allow you to get better. The EVO is definitely the better value and it is a fun bike to ride. I have a Scott Scale as well and it is a great XC bike, but the EVO is more nimble and "fun" to ride. I don't have a Goblin, but from all accounts it is a great bike as well, but with the small price difference I would vote EVO. You can still do some good XC with it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I actually went from exactly the same bike you had to the Evo about 2 months ago. Mine was an 07 Hardrock Sport with V-brakes too. What a night and day difference in the 2 bikes. I was instantly a much faster rider when I got my new bike...

The evo is much more stable and makes you feel confident taking obstacles faster/more aggressive. Stopping power and grip were the 2 areas that were shockingly different between the 2 bikes. The 29 inch wheels actually roll faster when you get going and you can plow through roots and rocks without worrying as much about your lines. IMHO, go for the evo, it is a steal!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Thanks for the replies everyone! How does everyone like their evo on easier flow trails versus the roots and rocks, still a blast?
    And smaller drops aren't an issue with the 29 wheels?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Hardrock to Evo

Had my first ride on my evo today. Compared to my trek 4300 the evo is amazing. Feels more agile, smoother, and lighter. Smooth trails, rocks and roots, or climbing is so much better on my evo. Literally night and day from my trek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Hardrock to Evo

Quote Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone! How does everyone like their evo on easier flow trails versus the roots and rocks, still a blast?
    And smaller drops aren't an issue with the 29 wheels?
    Being in Houston most of our trails are pretty mild single track XC style stuff. The evo flies. I find myself keeping up with and passing much more experienced riders on my evo with relative ease. The evo has handled everything I've thrown at it. It's a great bike and a LOT of fun to ride. I've even hit 30mph on the flats with it so its def got some speed in it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk