Hard to put seat up and down- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Hard to put seat up and down

Hey guys. Has anyone had trouble putting the seat up and down on the Evo? I had got a different style seat clamp back when I got the bike and wonder if I didn't get one slightly too small. It's really hard to raise the seat. I have to sit there and twist it and pull up hard on it just to get it to come up.

mtbr member
    odd. I'd remove the clamp and make sure that the frame/seatpost move smoothly. If they do, it's the seat post clamp.

I had a problem on a brand new bike from BD. The assembler tightened down the seatpost clamp and actually bent the seattube. I had to bend it back out, cut off a litle and file the edge. I'd take a good look at the seattube to make sure it's not bent somehow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by watts888 View Post
    odd. I'd remove the clamp and make sure that the frame/seatpost move smoothly. If they do, it's the seat post clamp.

I had a problem on a brand new bike from BD. The assembler tightened down the seatpost clamp and actually bent the seattube. I had to bend it back out, cut off a litle and file the edge. I'd take a good look at the seattube to make sure it's not bent somehow.
    Even without the clamp its still extremely tight. How did you go about bending it back out?

mtbr member
    If it's just the end that's tight (if the seatpost cuts on the back are angled in), I'd just put the seat post in a litle bit and gently rock it some. The goal is just to loosen it a tiny bit, not bend it out.

If it's that tight, I can't help but wonder if your seatpost/seat tube diameter don't match well. Have you used any seatpost grease/lube?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The Airborne seat tubes have a thick coating on them. This is great for scratch resistance, not so great for seat adjustments.

Put some of your favorite chain lube on a rag and wipe the post down with it. This will make it slide easier.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I just put the post in and wriggled it around a bunch and it helped out. then i greased it up and now it slides no problem. I think maybe when I put the new clamp on a while back I may have tightened it up too much. Thanks guys!