Guardian Tire Swap- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2015

Guardian Tire Swap

Anyone have reccos on new tires for the guardian? Currently running the kenda small block 8's that came with, but in multiple situations have lost confidence in grip, both going uphill on loose stuff, and downhill on just about anything other than hardpack.

Just wondering what all you've swapped out for and whether or not you were happy with the swap.

CoolArrow
    I used Kenda Nevegals with good results. Contintental Trail Kings also. Loved them both, the Nevegals seems maybe a bit heavy, if that's a concern. I'd run either one again though.

Others may suggest Schwalbe, I have no personal experience. Friends have run them, and durability has been in question...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I changed my Seeker's tires from the 2.2" AKA Geax (similar to the small blocks) to 2.35" Nobby Nics (2015 model, very different from previous version). The Geax measure about 2.25 and the NN's measure about 2.30" so they fit fine on the bike. The tires transformed the bike into a hugely more capable trail machine. I can run around 20 psi presssure compared to more like 30 psi before. For the pavement, I like the Geax's better, but its a whole other world in the dirt. Not to be too critical of Airborne, as my experience has been great with the Seeker, but they advised against the tire swap and were completely wrong. Not sure if I am faster on the new tires, but I am sure having a lot more comfort, traction, and fun on the trails I ride.

Another tire that gets good reviews is the Maxis Ardent. Check out Dirt Merchant Bikes website. He has several back to back tire comparison tests on his site. That is where I got the NN's from.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post

Another tire that gets good reviews is the Maxis Ardent. Check out Dirt Merchant Bikes website. He has several back to back tire comparison tests on his site. That is where I got the NN's from.
    +1 there on Maxxis - out here in the desert southwest I run an Ardent 2.25 up front with and a 2.1 EXO Ignitor in back, and love the traction.

mtbr member
    Specy Purgatory 2.3 2Bliss up front. Maxxis Ikon 2.2 on back. Love this setup.
    www.getbusylivin.org
    Salsa El Mariachi--SS
    Gone-
    Trek SuperFly FS 7
    Airborne Guardian
    Redline Monocog Flight

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Awesome, thanks all. Appreciate the input, will definitely consider. Glad I'm not the only one. . . plus can maybe swap to tubeless at the same time and kill a several birds with a slightly fewer number of stones.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    That is my plan, swap tires and go tubeless, no reason not to. Stans tape, valves, and orange seal.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yeah, those small block 8 tires are only good for hard pack, gravel or pavement.

Conti Trail Kings all the way.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    Yeah, those small block 8 tires are only good for hard pack, gravel or pavement.
    Reaffirmed this the hard way today, washed out the front tire in some scree this morning and laid er down. Not naive enough to blame it 100% on the tire, as I'm still a beginner, but it was just another example of thinking/hoping I'd have more grip than I did.

mtbr member
    I loved my Small Block 8's that came on my Goblin. Where I ride (Ohio) they are fantastic on everything but wet roots and greasy climbs. I bought some GEAX AKAs off of a member on here and liked those as well. But the Maxxis Ikons that came on my HGXO have treated me well. When the AKAs need replaced I'll have Ikons on both bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by hadley.michael View Post
    Reaffirmed this the hard way today, washed out the front tire in some scree this morning and laid er down. Not naive enough to blame it 100% on the tire, as I'm still a beginner, but it was just another example of thinking/hoping I'd have more grip than I did.
    True, not always the tire. The Small block 8's didn't suit my riding at all. Between traction uphill and turns, it was pretty sketchy, but I've been told I ride pretty aggressively.

On another note, having just moved to WA state, I completely ate it on a corner with the Trail Kings, mostly because of dry/drought hard ground underneath a light sprinkling of dead pine needles, so obviously skill/bad decisions can outweigh a tire choice. I have the bloody elbows and knees to prove it.

mtbr member
    I have CST Critter 2.1 rear, CST Rock Hawk 2.25 front. It's a bit of overkill but I like a lot of grip and this works GREAT.