Guardian 2.0 Derailuers- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Guardian 2.0 Derailuers

Both of my stock 2.1inch tires got destroyed by a bush a few months ago.

I was looking to upgrade my front tire to a 2.4in Maxxis Ardent and the rear to the 2.2in Ardent. I read that you need different deraileurs tho since the x5's dont allow clearance.

What would be the best x7's to get for relatively cheap? Or should I just stick with the 2.1in kenda eight blocks

I have never changed anything on my bike yet, though I know I could do it (except for tubeless since I dont have a compressor)

mtbr member
    Aug 2014
    Not sure where you would have rear this. You will be fine. Going from a 2.1 to a 2.2 is a very small change. Plus the derailleur is no where near the actual tire and tire clearance has nothing to do with derailleurs.

When going up in tire size chainstay clearance is what you should be worried about not derailleur clearance. But a 2.2 should fit virtually any mtb bike. If for instance you wanted to run a 2.4 in the rear I would be concerned with clearance around the chainstays.
    '15 Niner Jet 9 Carbon
    '19 Karate Monkey
    Motobecane Boris
    Raleigh Willard 3, Furley & Militis 3 (SS)
    Nashbar Carbon Road

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by blkangel View Post
    Not sure where you would have rear this. You will be fine. Going from a 2.1 to a 2.2 is a very small change. Plus the derailleur is no where near the actual tire and tire clearance has nothing to do with derailleurs.

When going up in tire size chainstay clearance is what you should be worried about not derailleur clearance. But a 2.2 should fit virtually any mtb bike. If for instance you wanted to run a 2.4 in the rear I would be concerned with clearance around the chainstays.
    I was more worried because a site with the bike's specs say "max tire size 2.1in"

The ardent rear would be 2.25" and has massive nobs on it

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Gedemer View Post
    Both of my stock 2.1inch tires got destroyed by a bush a few months ago.

I was looking to upgrade my front tire to a 2.4in Maxxis Ardent and the rear to the 2.2in Ardent. I read that you need different deraileurs tho since the x5's dont allow clearance.

What would be the best x7's to get for relatively cheap? Or should I just stick with the 2.1in kenda eight blocks

I have never changed anything on my bike yet, though I know I could do it (except for tubeless since I dont have a compressor)
    I have Conti Trail King 2.4 front/2.2 back and have no issues with clearance.

Your derailleur has nothing to do with with tire clearance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    I have Conti Trail King 2.4 front/2.2 back and have no issues with clearance.

Your derailleur has nothing to do with with tire clearance.
    Thanks ya'll...just got the Maxxis Ardents ordered

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Good deal. The stock tires that came on the Guardian were pretty useless to me, and I bumped up to their limitations pretty quickly. Their fine for gravel roads, pavement, and flat trail riding, but as soon as you push it they wash right out.

mtbr member
    I love my Ardents! I'm running the same setup, 2.4 front and 2.25 rear. I switched to 1x10 (no front derailleur), but i'm looking where it would sit and i can't see that it would be an issue. A 2.4 definitely wouldn't fit in the back, but that's just because of the chainstays i think.

Also, did you get the tires with EXO protection or just the standard compound?