Griffin tire size and price thoughts- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm Griffin tire size and price thoughts

Why are there two different tire widths on the Griffin? Why 3" in back and 3.25" up front? Is there room in the back for a 3.25 inch? I am considering ordering one. I have been looking at the Stache 7 (29+ hardtail at $2400, Cannondale Beast from the East (27.5+ hardtail at $2100), and the Specialized Fuse Expert (27.5+ hardtail at $2100). I favor the Stache 7. It's a beautiful bike. The Griffin, though, has the same fork and drive train as the stache but is $1000 less. I do prefer trying a 29+ and I think the brakes on the griffin are its only weakness. But, $1000 is a huge price difference. I could probably swing XT brakes for with rotors for about $300 (quick estimate) and still have $700 in savings. The Griffin seems very much on par with the Fuse and Cannondale but it is, still, $700 cheaper. But, I am hesitant to order because I have never seen an Airbourne bike; only heard of them via the internet.

mtbr member
    I will try my best to answer, but I'm sure others more qualified will chime in.

The front tire gets "Pushed" over obstacles whereas the rear tire gets "Pulled" over. The fatter front allows easier push over but the rear can be smaller width and easily keep up and give less rolling resistance by being narrower.

Also, the chainstays & seatstays don't allow as much room as the the front fork that is designed specifically for nice & fat Plus tires. I think that it is a perfect setup (I own a Griffin and absolutely LOVE it.)

The frame is truly a work of art. I have a made in USA cannondale Fifty Fifty and the welds & hydroformed tubes on the Griffin look superior in every single way. Don't worry about this being a "cheap" frame. It is truly a thing of Beauty.

The brakes are most definitely the weak spot, but they are good enough to get going and worry about upgrade later.

I've got size 13 (euro size 47) feet and have less heel strikes on the Griffin than any of my other bikes including my Fantom29 with 135mm rear hub (The Griffin has Boost 148). They really did a remarkable job on this baby. Thru axles front & rear make for a solid ride.

The color is also off the hook. Pictures do not do it justice. It "shimmers" with a Gold/Green glow.

I would never consider the higher priced options unless money was no object.

Hope this helps.

Eric

mtbr member
    One last thought.

Don't get the Shimano XT brakes (as awesome as they may be). Go for the new SRAM Guide RS. Way superior modulation. No "On -Off" feeling like the XT's.

I have the Guide RS on my Fantom29 and Everyone that tests it can't believe the new SRAM Guides. Power AND modulation. These are the disc brakes that the MTB community has been waiting for. (And nothing like the SRAM "AVID ELIXIR" junk that gave SRAM brakes a bad name in the past.)

Keep reading and asking questions. And s0ul_chicken will probably be around with his opinions (and superior Knowlege) pretty soon.

Ride On!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Just purchased an 18" inch Griffin today at noon. I was at my LBS this morning looking at the Specialized Fuse and that thing was gorgeous. I wanted to buy it right there...ha ha. The "sale price" was $1999. With tax that's about $2140. That is $600 more than the Griffin with shipping and the Griffin has overall better components in my opinion. I hope the Griffin is a nice bike. I will be moving to the north Georgia mountains from Florida in May. Orlando is getting to crazy for me. So if you see a Griffin in Ellijay, Ga this summer it will probably be me.

mtbr member
    Nice Move!

Yes, the Fuse is a gorgeous bike. But wait until you see your new Griffin!

Eric

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    Why are there two different tire widths on the Griffin?
    MarkThistle nailed it right on the head - and I second the brakes motion on the table.

Be sure to post up lots of pics on the new n+1!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    So, I arrived home from work and the bike was waiting in a large box. I last rode MTB's in the late nineties in Georgia. So, it has been a long time. But, I was able to put the bike together pretty well. Man, these tires are huge! They did not have tires like this when I use to ride. The Griffin looks great. The color does look way better in person than in the photos online. In person, it is a much deeper green. It looks great. Two problems were discovered, though. One, the front tire does not hold air. So, I guess the tube is leaking. Two there is no seat post clamp any where to be found. It either fell off in transport and then could have fallen out of the hand holes cut out of the box. Or, they were never put on the bike. Two minor problems that are not a big deal. Overall, the bike looks like a great deal for the money. But, I won't be able to ride it until I move to Georgia in May. So, time will tell. Griffin tire size and price thoughts-20160406_205035.jpgGriffin tire size and price thoughts-20160406_205024.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I see the seat post size on the airbourne website says 31.6mm. So, what size seat post clamp should I get? Also, the clips that hold on the brake lines are already popping off. Zip ties will do a much better job.
    Last edited by joevdenne; 04-06-2016 at 07:49 PM. Reason: addition

mtbr member
    I see the seat post size on the airbourne website says 31.6mm. So, what size seat post clamp should I get? Also, the clips that hold on the brake lines are already popping off. Zip ties will do a much better job.
    The clips you have are the same clips that come on every bike from just about every bike manufacturer. They are junk - just use some zip-ties to secure the cables to the frame and fork. As far as the seat clamp, you will need a 35mm.

Welcome to the Griffin club! Be sure to post up lots of pics where you ride.

mtbr member
    Send me a PM with your address and we will get one out to you ASAP!
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Send me out the spare derailleur hangar you promised me too... Will PM info.

Finally got the front to go tubeless. Still working on the rear. I think the Radar brakes are ok just the rotors are bad.