Griffin: replace brakes....are the rotors worth keeping?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Griffin: replace brakes....are the rotors worth keeping?

I plan on getting the sram guide brakes. But, are the rotors on the Griffin good or should I replace them, too? MilkThistle, what rotors did you get with your guides?
    Last edited by joevdenne; 04-26-2016 at 01:36 AM. Reason: addition

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    I plan on getting the sram guide brakes. But, are the rotors on the Griffin good or should I replace them, too? MilkThistle, what rotors did you get with your guides?
    I am not sure which rotors MT got, mine came with Avid HS1's, I have one of those on the rear, and an old CS1 in the front. Any rotor will work, but for "optimal braking" the Centerlines are recommended with the Guides, according to SRAM. The Hayes rotors are a little thinner than the Avids, not sure what the thickness of the Centerlines are.

mtbr member
    I got the Sram Centerlines 180mm front and 160mm rear. I have yet to install my Guide "RS" on the Griffin, but I have the Guide "RS" with 2x180mm Centerlines on my 29'er and I am very, very happy with them.

My stock Hayes Radar rear brake went totally limp but came back to life so I have delayed the install due to being so busy with work.

Eric

mtbr member
    About the Hayes Radar rear brake going limp on my Griffin - I turned the bike upside down to do the Fork "Reset". I don't think that is necessary. Also, a small amount of oil did come out of the inflation valve and I was careful to avoid getting that into my shock pump thanks to someone on this forum warning of that possibility. I think this caused an air bubble to migrate down the hydraulic hose and make it squishy. Now that has somehow reversed itself an it feels stronger than before.

That being said, I turn my 29'er upside down for 30 minutes or so before each ride as I have been told that the oil bath in the lowers flows toward the crown and lubricates the stancions on my Rock Shox SID. Not once have the Guide brakes gone limp or felt squishy. The Guides are just solid and dependable, with power and modulation.

One last thing to consider is going with the Guide "R" like s0ul did. From what I have read, they are just as good and less money.

Let us know how it works out! And listen to s0ul as he has WAY more experience with the mechanical stuff than I do. I'm just starting to re-learn after a 15 year break in riding and SO much has changed!

Glad to see you you joined the "Griffin FlightCrew!"

Eric