Griffin- Mtbr.com

Thread: Griffin

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Griffin

Getting the thread ready for Thursday!

https://www.facebook.com/Airborne.bi...type=1&theater

mtbr member
    Very excited for this announcement. Hard to tell if it is the 650b Enduro bike or something else. Like a carbon bike maybe? Looking forward to Thursday!

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Does my Evo need a companion already? I've only had it for 60 miles of riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by VCaddy View Post
    Does my Evo need a companion already? I've only had it for 60 miles of riding.
    That's what I was thinking...

ele
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Suscribed

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Going to be fun.

mtbr member
    So its a 650b...650b+ hardtail. Interesting. This is probably going to be a fun bike but I'll wait to see the 650b enduro later in the year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I think the Griffin looks sweet. So it is a 650b+ size. I wonder how wide those tires are and the overall weight. Might have to put the Goblin up for sale.

mtbr member
    So it is going to come with the new SRAM GX drivetrain and that is cool. Looks like Vee Rubber Trax Fatty tires too. Great paint scheme. Griffin-griffin.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No front derailleur.... I'm liking it more and more.

mtbr member
    Do not know the price or complete spec but I would ride this. I just don't have the money for this and a full squish. Hardtails are a lot of fun to ride. The Griffin looks great though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The more I look, the more I'm interested. I'm pleasantly surprised. Nice job Airborne.

Reminds of the Raleigh Tokul, a little.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    So what's the price.

This has the new low cost GX drivetrain. Manitou Magnum fork I'm not familiar with, but I see it compared against entry level against Suntour.

Is this a Guardian replacement at the 600-700 level?

mtbr member
    Looks good.
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Menel View Post
    So what's the price.

This has the new low cost GX drivetrain. Manitou Magnum fork I'm not familiar with, but I see it compared against entry level against Suntour.

Is this a Guardian replacement at the 600-700 level?
    I don't think it's the same Manitou Magnum. The original was a coil shock.
    Last edited by Westorbust; 04-16-2015 at 09:47 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    I don't think it's same Manitou Magnum. The original was a coil shock.
    Agreed. Manitou is supposed to release a new M+ fork at Sea Otter. This probably just coincides with the Airborne release of the 27.5+ bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    So what category is this bike going into? XC, Trail, Fun/Pump Track/DJ

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    So what category is this bike going into? XC, Trail, Fun/Pump Track/DJ
    It looks "trail" oriented with added fatty tires.

mtbr member
    "Today we're proud to announce a brand new model! We welcome the "Griffin" to the Airborne family. With a brand new tire size of 650+, the Griffin ready for fun, anywhere, year round. We're spec'ing this busty beaut with SRAM GX1 drivetrain, Manitou's brand new 650+ fork, Sun Wheelset, Hayes brakes, and Vee tires- the Griffin is ready for fun. With a retail price of $1,999 these will be available June! More info coming soon to Airbornebicycles.com"

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    That's priced a good bit higher then I was expecting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    That's priced a good bit higher then I was expecting.
    Agreed.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Unless they go up on all their prices across the board, I'm not sure how they'll justify $2K for this bike. I could never spend that much on a hardtail. $2K can get you a very nice full suspension in the used market.

Sir crash-a-lot
    Just going off the way all their old line up was spec'd vs priced, I was really hoping this was the enduro being released.

Welllllll crap. More than a little disappointed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt n Dust View Post
    ... With a retail price of $1,999 these will be available June! More info coming soon to Airbornebicycles.com"
    Well, count me out.

Way too expensive considering their other offerings.

Sub $1500 I might consider it, but not at that price.

EDIT, scratch that, I forgot the Evo is priced a shade under $1300. What are they thinking?

It's an aluminum frame hard tail with fatty tires. Kind of cool, but not $2k cool for me.

mtbr member
    The Evo is the best deal they have and pretty much the obvious choice over this. The Griffin is cool but I'll save my pennies for a full squish.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

650bummer

Baby fat bike/dirty jumper? Come on. Seriously, how many people are going to by this bike. I have a baby fat 26er w 2.5s that i put together with spare parts, but i wouldn't buy one new. Griffin-20141230_014352.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    wait.....2000 for a niche tweener hardtail? airborne you've lost ground!

mtbr member
    Should of been a full fat 5" tire bike.....
    Salsa Carbon Bucksaw- Trek Farley 8

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The Evo is the best deal they have and pretty much the obvious choice over this. The Griffin is cool but I'll save my pennies for a full squish.
    Agreed. For that price, I don't get it. Oh well.

I hope they aren't discontinuing the Goblin Evo and having this replace it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Airborne could not have seen the lack of interest/back lash over this bike. I just don't see why they are even releasing such a comical niche bike. I am one of their biggest supporters and I'm really scratching my head. Especially since they have been teasing the 650 dualie and a carbon 29er. This is way out of left field, and probably should have been left there...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    Airborne could not have seen the lack of interest/back lash over this bike. I just don't see why they are even releasing such a comical niche bike. I am one of their biggest supporters and I'm really scratching my head. Especially since they have been teasing the 650 dualie and a carbon 29er. This is way out of left field, and probably should have been left there...
    Airborne isn't the only one coming out with these + bikes, however.

There's always a "next best thing". Apparently we're being told, once again, that this one of those "next best things".

27+ Bikes - Innovation or Industry Scam? - BIKE Magazine

I like it, I just don't $2K like it.

My guess is that when the other newer models come out, like the redesigned Goblin Evo, we'll see similar prices as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I like it, I just don't $2K like it.
    I think I'm in that some boat. Especially since I already have an Evo.

like the redesigned Goblin Evo
    Does anyone know yet what is being redesigned on the Evo?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So I just read that Specialized is releasing their 650b+ bike with the manitou fork, sram gx drivetrain, and only $100 more. I like Airborne for their value, but for that little more I can test ride, have it built, support local, and get free follow up service, I think they may have bit off more than they can chew here.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fattty View Post
    Does anyone know yet what is being redesigned on the Evo?
    Frame tweak/redesign I believe. I don't know if the component specs change.

So I just read that Specialized is releasing their 650b+ bike with the manitou fork, sram gx drivetrain, and only $100 more. I like Airborne for their value, but for that little more I can test ride, have it built, support local, and get free follow up service, I think they may have bit off more than they can chew here.
    Yeah, I'm not impressed with their price on this model. If that's a harbinger of what's to come, I don't see the point of buying "direct". I can get a bike's direct fatty with front suspension for $1400.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    More power to Airborne for trying to get ahead of the curve on the supposed "next best thing" but I don't understand the pricing which is counter to their whole value proposition. Seems like marketing/product development might have fumbled on this one... $100 more for a name brand equivalent available at my lbs to try/fit/etc?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    2k for the griffin? Where is the direct to consumer savings? At that price you are competing with specialized which is sold in every city around the usa. So why would anyone buy the griffin for almost the same cost when they can't ride it or see it first? I hate to sound like a dick. But I miss having jeremy at airborne. Seems like everything has gone down hill since he left.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by iluvny081 View Post
    2k for the griffin? Where is the direct to consumer savings? At that price you are competing with specialized which is sold in every city around the usa. So why would anyone buy the griffin for almost the same cost when they can't ride it or see it first? I hate to sound like a dick. But I miss having jeremy at airborne. Seems like everything has gone down hill since he left.
    Well, this was probably in the development pipe when he was still working there, so you'd be getting it either way.

As for the price...who knows? If this bike is at $2k, where is the enduro going to be priced? Are the prices going to rise across the board? Maybe Airborne figures that, since they are gaining in some popularity, they can capitalize and charge more for their bikes?

Either way, it seems like a cool bike, I just don't think I can justify that price for my needs or wants. The Kona Precept, an ok spec'd entry level enduro starts at $1500, the DL version is $1900.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Specialized could be taking a hit to try and drive a company like Airborne out. Who knows, but if you don't like it then don't buy it and wait for the bike you want. Quarterback is awfully easy from a desk.

On wuss patrol
    Lots of folks trying the plussers, figuring they are more for fun, year round trail type use. The extra tire cush easing the ride a little. Might even be a decent beach bike.

However, this pricing model is a departure for Airborne. It is priced too high by about $400. Likely a sign of things to come at this once very consumer connected and communicative bike company. Sucks when products like Airborne's offering get popular, the company gets bigger, decision makers are out of touch, etc.
    Sometimes, you need to go fast enough that the trail is a blur to find clarity. -- Wild Bill

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Well, this was probably in the development pipe when he was still working there, so you'd be getting it either way.

As for the price...who knows? If this bike is at $2k, where is the enduro going to be priced? Are the prices going to rise across the board? Maybe Airborne figures that, since they are gaining in some popularity, they can capitalize and charge more for their bikes?

Either way, it seems like a cool bike, I just don't think I can justify that price for my needs or wants. The Kona Precept, an ok spec'd entry level enduro starts at $1500, the DL version is $1900.
    I forgot to mention that i love my guardian and silver goblin. That being said If airborne was in local bike shops I would not mind paying closer to what their competitors charge if I could see it/ride it first. But until then. A lower price is the only thing that will keep them in business. I MO at least.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by opivy View Post
    Specialized could be taking a hit to try and drive a company like Airborne out. Who knows, but if you don't like it then don't buy it and wait for the bike you want. Quarterback is awfully easy from a desk.
    Sure. I like buying the best bike for the money. If it's Airborne, it's Airborne, if it isn't, it isn't. I don't care. Regardless, it seems that the price is out of whack with what is currently available, and in light of their history. It's a cool bike, but I think the price misses the mark, considering they are "direct to consumer". Bikes are a sizable luxury purchase these days, so armchair quarterbacking is what you're going to get. I think it's completely fair to do so.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I'm wondering how the brakes (which Hayes vs which Guide), cockpit parts, and wheelset will compare with the Specialized.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Hardtails, Helmets, and More - Sea Otter 2015 - Pinkbike
    "The bike's 69 head angle and 450mm chainstays are on the steep and long side of things, but maybe the fact that Airborne is based in Ohio, a state without any true mountains, has something to do with this..."

Griffin-griffin.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    "The bike's 69 head angle and 450mm chainstays are on the steep and long side of things, but maybe the fact that Airborne is based in Ohio, a state without any true mountains, has something to do with this..."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griffin.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	982869
    69 is steep now? Gimme a break, I've ridden on plenty of "true mountain" trails on a 71 HTA hardtail. I'm so annoyed with this new notion that you NEED a super slack bike to ride "real" trails. Just more bike industry nonsense to make us feel that the bikes we already have are inferior.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Trek's Stache setup 27.5 like this bike is 67.5 with a 420 or less chainstay length.
    Trek rolls out 29+ Stache hardtail - BikeRadar
    This isn't a bike anyone already has. It's new.

mtbr member
    Trek's Stache setup 27.5 like this bike is 67.5 with a 420 or less chainstay length.
    Trek rolls out 29+ Stache hardtail - BikeRadar
    This isn't a bike anyone already has. It's new.
    Whos to say that shorter and slacker are always better?

mtbr member
    I've been really happy with my Airborne bikes and I would love to throw my leg over a Griffin and see what it feels like.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 8iking VIIking View Post
    Whos to say that shorter and slacker are always better?
    It shouldn't be something you worry about.
    You're happy with what you have.
    For your main terrain in Minnesota or riding style this may be ok.
    It matters if you're making something to sell to as many riders as possible and make money at it. Limiting your market cuts your success.
    Lotsa guys would look at this bike to extend a hardtail into more AM terrain with longer downhills and faster speed. They don't need a XC bike. The fork and tire size go there right off. The geo doesn't get there for a lot of riders. Remember, you can't demo this bike. You go by the stuff on paper.
    It looks like more engineering work was needed like Trek and Spec had to do to get the rear short when using wider tires. When they didn't find a way to do that they couldn't slacken the head tube angle any more than they did or the steering would have been too slow.

Trek had to raise the chainstay.

Griffin-stache-plus.jpg

Spec had to split it on their new 27.5+

Griffin-2016-specialized-fuse.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yea, I think 450mm chainstay length is gonna be long for this type of bike. My Goblin has 450mm chainstays and if the Griffin handles like my Goblin it's not gonna make for a very fun bike. I don't think the Goblin's geometry was designed to be fun, but this type of bike is meant to be thrown around.

Now that I see it from a complete side view, it looks pretty awkward with the long chainstays. It looks like they took the Goblin frame, repainted it yellow and stuck the 27.5 tires on it. I wonder if this bike was a last minute decision so that they would have something to release at Sea Otter, since they had already announced they would be releasing the All-Mountain bike at Sea Otter.

mtbr member
    It looks like they took the Goblin frame, repainted it yellow and stuck the 27.5 tires on it.
    According to the PinkBike article, that is almost exactly what they did but with the EVO.

"Airborne's Griffin 27.5+ hardtail is based on the consumer-direct company's Goblin EVO frame, but uses 12x148 rear and 15x110 front spacing to fit the wider tires."

Shorter chainstays than the rest of the Airborne hardtails would have been great but sometimes numbers are just numbers. It would be nice to be able to demo this bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Complete arrogance. How many "true" mountains are in Waterloo, Wi?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griffin.jpg 
Views:	827 
Size:	171.4 KB 
ID:	982869

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    According to the PinkBike article, that is almost exactly what they did but with the EVO.

"Airborne's Griffin 27.5+ hardtail is based on the consumer-direct company's Goblin EVO frame, but uses 12x148 rear and 15x110 front spacing to fit the wider tires."

Shorter chainstays than the rest of the Airborne hardtails would have been great but sometimes numbers are just numbers. It would be nice to be able to demo this bike.
    You can't demo when it's direct sales. That's w h y the numbers are so important. These guys may want to start working a little harder.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can't demo when it's direct sales. That's w h y the numbers are so important. These guys may want to start working a little harder.
    I fail to see how working harder has anything to do with this. While I agree without direct sales it is difficult to get people to buy in to something that is not the flavor of the week but I doubt it's for lack of hard work.

You should go start a small business with minimal staff so you can see how easy it is to run one. I've done it and it takes every ounce of your life and ruins relationships just to get the ball rolling let alone keep it going.

I can't vouch for good design or decision making on their part but I can vouch for the amount of effort that any small business takes. Just slow down before making such nasty comments about other peoples hard work and you'll appreciate it that much more.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    If I had the money, I would have purchased the griffin instead of a goblin evo...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I fail to see how working harder has anything to do with this. While I agree without direct sales it is difficult to get people to buy in to something that is not the flavor of the week but I doubt it's for lack of hard work.

You should go start a small business with minimal staff so you can see how easy it is to run one. I've done it and it takes every ounce of your life and ruins relationships just to get the ball rolling let alone keep it going.

I can't vouch for good design or decision making on their part but I can vouch for the amount of effort that any small business takes. Just slow down before making such nasty comments about other peoples hard work and you'll appreciate it that much more.
    You're right. I apologize for the wording tone of the comment. I look at these bikes and see potential that seems obvious but I don't know the back story.
    The Evo frame has 438 chainstays with the seat tube kinked a little for clearance like other manufacturers. I don't think this is an Evo frame.
    Possibly with a portion of the drive side chainstay flattened or replaced with bar stock for added clearance it could be used. Like a running change.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It's funny that they wrote about the changes in the article since the Evo already has both of those axle sizes. So it's actually no different than the Evo, just smaller tires. I wonder where they got their information. So if there are any Evo owners that want a Griffin, just go get 27.5+ wheels and tires...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My error, those are SRAMs boost hub sizes on the Griffin, but still close...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Yea, I think 450mm chainstay length is gonna be long for this type of bike. My Goblin has 450mm chainstays and if the Griffin handles like my Goblin it's not gonna make for a very fun bike. I don't think the Goblin's geometry was designed to be fun, but this type of bike is meant to be thrown around.

Now that I see it from a complete side view, it looks pretty awkward with the long chainstays. It looks like they took the Goblin frame, repainted it yellow and stuck the 27.5 tires on it. I wonder if this bike was a last minute decision so that they would have something to release at Sea Otter, since they had already announced they would be releasing the All-Mountain bike at Sea Otter.
    That's exactly what it looks like now that I see it from the side. Those chainstays are awfully long. Strange decisions, not to mention the price. It looks exactly like they needed something to put out at Sea Otter since the enduro bike was a no go at the moment.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I bet that's right. Looks like a last ditch effort to show something at sea otter. They have been hyping a carbon 29er and dualie 27.5 for a year, then out of the blue this random bike. "Hey, take an Evo and put 27.5 wheels on it! We can release that!" I think it missed the boat when so far they have been doing great making new bikes.

mtbr member
    I thought one of the benefits of Boost148 was the ability to have shorter chainstays. Seems odd that the Griffin would use longer CS length than the Evo.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Well, they also get to piggy back off of Huffy to get quality frames at cheaper prices from overseas. That's a pretty unique situation, and one most people wanting to start a bike company in their garage wouldn't have. That's a pretty good head-start.

It makes you wonder, though. Huffy as a brand was quickly derided as a big box cheapo brand, even though they did make pro-level BMX bikes back in the 80's. My first BMX bike was a Huffy1983 Huffy Pro Thunder - BMXmuseum.com, and it was a great bike, though I eventually snapped it in half. Welds in those days weren't great. Personally I think it'd be awesome to rip by some guy on a "brand" name bike whilst sporting the Huffy name. No shame in that.

Would people buy a Huffy Griffin, or Huffy Goblin Evo? Sadly, probably not. The bike industry is a strange beast.

mtbr member
    I bet that's right. Looks like a last ditch effort to show something at sea otter. They have been hyping a carbon 29er and dualie 27.5 for a year, then out of the blue this random bike. "Hey, take an Evo and put 27.5 wheels on it! We can release that!" I think it missed the boat when so far they have been doing great making new bikes.
    Agreed. 27+ and 29+ are the "in" thing right now but overall they're still just a niche market. A carbon 29er or 6" 27.5 bike seems like it would appeal to a much broader audience.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    It's funny that they wrote about the changes in the article since the Evo already has both of those axle sizes. So it's actually no different than the Evo, just smaller tires. I wonder where they got their information. So if there are any Evo owners that want a Griffin, just go get 27.5+ wheels and tires...
    Are the components and fork trivial side grades compared to the evo?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    We don't have any info on this lower version of the fork. The Pro is the top version, this is the Comp used in the $2500 list Trek Stache 7 29+.
    With 20 off that is about the same price. 420mm chainstays with a 67.5* head tube angle.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Airborne Griffin 27+ |

"As Airborne puts it, the new Griffin was meant to be an aggressive XC hard tail with a bit of BMX influence to create a super fun and capable bike built around the mid-fat wheels and tires."

An aggressive XC hard tail with BMX influence? Where's the BMX?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Bmx bikes have wheels too! Haha I'm not seeing it either.

mtbr member
    Airborne Griffin 27+ |

"As Airborne puts it, the new Griffin was meant to be an aggressive XC hard tail with a bit of BMX influence to create a super fun and capable bike built around the mid-fat wheels and tires."

An aggressive XC hard tail with BMX influence? Where's the BMX?
    The article also explains that the 450mm chainstays will help accommodate 3.5" tires. The price and weight of plus size tires aren't very attractive. Over $100 and 1500 grams per tire?!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    The article also explains that the 450mm chainstays will help accommodate 3.5" tires. The price and weight of plus size tires aren't very attractive. Over $100 and 1500 grams per tire?!
    Well, it lines up with current mtn bike tire pricing, which is a little absurd.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Wouldn't the cranks be too low?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Anyone ride one of these yet? I see they have them in stock now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MT_Bear View Post
    Anyone ride one of these yet? I see they have them in stock now.
    I was going to go ride a Specialized Fuse to see how it felt since I see them here locally, but the numbers aren't the same. Slacker front end by 2 degrees with 20mm shorter chain stays, etc. but it should give me an idea of what it takes to get the bike moving. It would also be nice to have a ball park in weight as well, not sure if pushing a heavy bike with lots of rotational weight would be fun after a few hours of riding.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I was going to go ride a Specialized Fuse to see how it felt since I see them here locally, but the numbers aren't the same. Slacker front end by 2 degrees with 20mm shorter chain stays, etc. but it should give me an idea of what it takes to get the bike moving. It would also be nice to have a ball park in weight as well, not sure if pushing a heavy bike with lots of rotational weight would be fun after a few hours of riding.
    Agreed; id like to know the weight on this as well.

I wonder how many people who were turned off by the original estimated cost of $1999 know now that the bike is actually a lot less at $1350? The original cost estimate didnt help the marketing of this bike at all.

Other than the different wheel size, I dont see much upside to this bike over my EVO. I probably would have bought this bike instead of the EVO had it been out, however now that I have an EVO...

Hope they are still working on a newer GEO FS or a carbon offering..
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    Agreed; id like to know the weight on this as well.

I wonder how many people who were turned off by the original estimated cost of $1999 know now that the bike is actually a lot less at $1350? The original cost estimate didnt help the marketing of this bike at all.

Other than the different wheel size, I dont see much upside to this bike over my EVO. I probably would have bought this bike instead of the EVO had it been out, however now that I have an EVO...

Hope they are still working on a newer GEO FS or a carbon offering..
    They must have been paying attention to what people thought. I think the price is much better for what you're getting. That's over $600 less than what they announced it as. That's a big chunk of money.

mtbr member
    Nice to see they dropped the price on this one. I felt it was priced a bit high when it was announced. Hope to see one out and about in the woods soon, I've always liked the EVO, but never seen/ridden one.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by backcountryeti View Post
    Nice to see they dropped the price on this one. I felt it was priced a bit high when it was announced. Hope to see one out and about in the woods soon, I've always liked the EVO, but never seen/ridden one.
    I am thankful it isn't blue!!

mtbr member
    I am thankful it isn't blue!!
    A plus bike would be great in the sand out there eh? After riding the trails in the area I think something like the griffin would be ideal

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    A plus bike would be great in the sand out there eh? After riding the trails in the area I think something like the griffin would be ideal

Amen to that! Some great riding, and great fun! I am glad you made it out to our neck of the woods.
    Cottonwood cycles has a couple 6Fatties out on display, and seeing a 27.5+ up close makes me drool just a little bit. Add a dropper and I am on that bike! I dropped the hint to the Mrs. for Xmas, so fingers crossed.

mtbr member
    Amen to that! Some great riding, and great fun! I am glad you made it out to our neck of the woods.
    Cottonwood cycles has a couple 6Fatties out on display, and seeing a 27.5+ up close makes me drool just a little bit. Add a dropper and I am on that bike! I dropped the hint to the Mrs. for Xmas, so fingers crossed.
    Yeah it was awesome! I had a great time but was pretty wore out after 3 solid days of riding. Maybe we'll all have to meet up in Arizona next time, I've always wanted to check out Sedona!

The 6fatties are cool, for sure. I've been drooling over the stumpjumper 6fatties myself. I'm debating between those or just getting some wide rims and 2.5's for my bantam. Damn you upgradeitis...

mtbr member
    Yeah it was awesome! I had a great time but was pretty wore out after 3 solid days of riding. Maybe we'll all have to meet up in Arizona next time, I've always wanted to check out Sedona!

The 6fatties are cool, for sure. I've been drooling over the stumpjumper 6fatties myself. I'm debating between those or just getting some wide rims and 2.5's for my bantam. Damn you upgradeitis...

I keep wanting to build another bike for tougher terrain, but this would be a great go-to for out of state riding, and it would give me the benefit of a backup bike. Seems like a win-win.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    This might be a dumb question but...

Could you put a normal set of 27.5 rims on this and essentially have an EVO that might be a little heavier but still light enough for x country?

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Lovespicyfood View Post
    This might be a dumb question but...

Could you put a normal set of 27.5 rims on this and essentially have an EVO that might be a little heavier but still light enough for x country?
    I'm thinking you would want to run a set of 29er wheels on it since 27.5+ and 29s are very close in diameter. This would lighten things up for XC. I believe if you ran normal 27.5 tires you'd lower the BB too much. The 29er set up would be very close to a Goblin Evo though.

mtbr member
    This bike is pretty cool. It has the same fork and a better drivetrain than my Fuse Expert. Griffin