Got my EVO - unboxing & assembly photos- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Got my EVO - unboxing & assembly photos

Here are a bunch of unboxing and assembly photos. Only a few small gotchas. First, the stem is backwards, so flip it around. Second, thankfully, there's a spacer in the front caliper to make sure you don't squeeze it shut before you put the wheel on. Just pull it out. The cables/hoses seem a little long. Can anyone look at my front photos and let me know if I got it on there correctly? Other thing I noticed was that there is oil that looks like it's dripping from the left brake reservoir. I guess it could be that they spilled it when filling, but I'm thinking it's a leak. If the shop can't fix it on Thursday I guess I'll contact Airborne.

Everything seems to work ok, but the gear shifting isn't quit dialed. I'm taking it to a local guy (only works on bikes, doesn't sell them) to go over the whole thing for me on Thursday. I did take it for a spin around the block and it felt nice. In some of the photos you might see my old bike, a Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc, which has mechanical disc brakes (which are fine), but a crappy fork. Haven't really had any problems with it other than breaking a derailleur hanger.

The EVO, with the 29" tires, seems really really big. Once I'm on it, it feels fine. The tires are just so much bigger. I thought... well a few inches, how much difference could it make?

I'll post more info once I get some rides on it, but thought maybe people would be interested in some photos.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/7jz9k1c3f...-6mT6ooz19Czwa

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Got it back from the shop. He said the brake fluid was weeping because the reservoir cap wasn't screwed on tight. Tightened it, added fluid, re-bled. Seems fine now. He also tuned it up, did some adjustments on the wheels and gears so it would shift right. I've only ridden it around the block and it rides really nice. Brakes are really strong and quiet. Shifts easy. The low gear is really low compared to my specialized hardrock. That will be nice because I do a lot of climbing. Probably not going to get any real trail riding in until this weekend or next, but so far so good. Tires still seem really big

mtbr member
    Have fun with the Evo - welcome to the family!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Enjoy! I second the welcome!

mtbr member
    Great pics! Tell us about your first ride when it happens!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....