Goblin XO brake and shifter cable housing length- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2015

Goblin XO brake and shifter cable housing length

I consider myself fairly mechanical, but I'm not sure I want to tackle shortening my housings. I just received the bike on Friday (it's purdy!!!) and started putting it together on Saturday. Is this something I should try myself or should I farm it out to my lbs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Cool-blue Rhythm

That really depends on how independent you want to be with your bike maintenance in the future.

Here are the things to consider:

Do it yourself:

Spend about $35 on a good set of cable cutters (cheap ones will only give you a headache)
    Spend about $40 on a brake bleed kit (make sure it includes new barbs and olives)
    Spend about an hour reading the Park Tool website
    Spend about 2-3 hours shortening hoses, cables, bleeding your brakes, and setting up your derailleurs
    Spend about 30 minutes drinking beer and admiring your accomplishment

Have the bike shop do it:

Spend about the same amount of money for every time you need it done (upgrades, replacements, or new bikes).

Spend a day or two waiting for the LBS to get to fixing your mail-order bike.

I chose the first option.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I talked to the guy that does brakes at one of Omaha's lbs. He said he would charge $60 per brake to shorten them and $35 per dérailleur. He started going into a long dissertation about how bad Avid brakes are. I got the feeling he just didn't want to deal with the Elixir 9's. Does that price seem a little high?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Almost $200 to shorten cables and brake lines!?

Seems high to me, but I've never paid a shop to do it. I spent $75 on tools and learned how to do it myself and I never have to spend any more money for cable/hose length adjustment or derailleur adjustment as I can knock it out myself in an afternoon.

CoolArrow
    It's worth it to spend a little extra $$$ at first to figure out how to do it.

Being able to work on your own bike is worth the effort, and sometimes headaches.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    I just did my HG from scratch, it really wasn't that difficult. Like Bradley said, just get a decent set of tools, pull up youtube and have at it. ( don't forget the beer )

I started doing all my own repairs last year because everyone at the 6 lbs's around here are snobbish and look down at you because you didn't buy their bikes... f-them, I'm saving tons of $ lol
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I just went to a lbs across the river. They said they'd do a full setup, including shortening the brake housings, for $70. I'm going to have them do it, since I want to ride this weekend. In the meantime, I'm going to order the tools and bleed kit so that in the future I can do it. I agree, most lbs mechanics look at you funny when you mention Airborne or buying your bike off the internet.