Goblin wheelset- Mtbr.com

Thread: Goblin wheelset

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Goblin wheelset

Can anyone offer advice on upgrading the Goblin wheelset on a budget? I'm 175 lb and go over rocky areas fairly regularly. Looking to shave weight, tubeless compatible, and go wider. I'm looking at Stans due to price/availability. Main question is what specs to look for used so they fit. I have the 2015 black Goblin (release before current). It looks like both wheels are quick release? So I can buy a used wheelset where both are quick release, 10 speed, disc brake? Also, any other tips?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieTreehorn8 View Post
    Can anyone offer advice on upgrading the Goblin wheelset on a budget? I'm 175 lb and go over rocky areas fairly regularly. Looking to shave weight, tubeless compatible, and go wider. I'm looking at Stans due to price/availability. Main question is what specs to look for used so they fit. I have the 2015 black Goblin (release before current). It looks like both wheels are quick release? So I can buy a used wheelset where both are quick release, 10 speed, disc brake? Also, any other tips?
    What is your budget?

I roll Stans wheels on my Goblin, I have been on them now just over a few years and haven't had any issues. You are correct, you just need a QR wheelset, with SRAM/Shimano freehub, 6-bolt disc. Looking at PinkBike I see some nice take off wheels, but it will depend on your overall budget. I hope that gets you started in the right direction!

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Thanks for the help! That looks pretty nice. I may also look at wider rims. Does anyone know if a 30 mm internal width rim causes any clearance problems w the Goblin on 2.25-2.35" tires?