Goblin Hub Issues? Troubleshooting- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

New question here. Goblin Hub Issues? Troubleshooting

Hey guys haven't been here in awhile and haven't been able to ride in over 5 months due to an injury. I been having this long going issue with my Goblin that 2 bike shops have not been able to figure out and 1 of them was definitely reputable. As I ride out lets say a 10 mile ride out of nowhere I get this disengage feeling. So lets say I am standing up peddling hard the bike makes a loud clank and gives out feeling like it was disengaged.. As I was riding last night I was going and all of sudden it did it and literally almost lost my footing and went down. The chain doesn't come off or anything but its definitely dangerous. Bottom bracket seems good to bike shops I was wondering if it could be the hub. Maybe a lazy pawl not engaging. It has never happened in the hard to pedal gears.Had this issue for awhile now with no fix almost ready to sell it cause of this its no longer fun to ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyhill View Post
    Hey guys haven't been here in awhile and haven't been able to ride in over 5 months due to an injury. I been having this long going issue with my Goblin that 2 bike shops have not been able to figure out and 1 of them was definitely reputable. As I ride out lets say a 10 mile ride out of nowhere I get this disengage feeling. So lets say I am standing up peddling hard the bike makes a loud clank and gives out feeling like it was disengaged.. As I was riding last night I was going and all of sudden it did it and literally almost lost my footing and went down. The chain doesn't come off or anything but its definitely dangerous. Bottom bracket seems good to bike shops I was wondering if it could be the hub. Maybe a lazy pawl not engaging. It has never happened in the hard to pedal gears.Had this issue for awhile now with no fix almost ready to sell it cause of this its no longer fun to ride.
    I would take it apart and see what is going on with the pawls. It really sounds like the pawls are not engaging correctly, and I would only assume the bike shop didn't take it apart due to lack of replacement parts for Quanta hubs. It's one of those things like finding a broken axle - it's ok until you take the wheel out. Second option is to start sourcing out a new wheel. This might be easier than trying to find replacement parts for the hub if that is what is going on.

mtbr member
    mikeyhill, I feel your pain, going on two months without being able to ride, and its killing me!

May just need a good cleaning. Sometimes old grease and dirt can cause the pawls to not snap back as well.

Since you mentioned it doesn't happen in the hardest gear, just to rule things out, does it only happen in one particular gear? Reading that made me think, is the derailleur out of adjustment? If it only happens in the largest gear in the back could the derailleur be pushing the chain off in between the cassette and the wheel?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse4130 View Post
    mikeyhill, I feel your pain, going on two months without being able to ride, and its killing me!

May just need a good cleaning. Sometimes old grease and dirt can cause the pawls to not snap back as well.
    Hang in there Jesse!

For what it is worth, just a generic search I found a site selling both front and rear hubs for 50 bucks. You could pick up a set and have the wheel re-laced, but I am not sure how much that would cost in your neck of the woods.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jesse4130 View Post

Since you mentioned it doesn't happen in the hardest gear, just to rule things out, does it only happen in one particular gear? Reading that made me think, is the derailleur out of adjustment? If it only happens in the largest gear in the back could the derailleur be pushing the chain off in between the cassette and the wheel?
    Thanks for your response. It happens so rarely that's its hard to pin it down to a certain gear but I'm going to make sure I take note for now on of which gears its doing it in.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    The bike shop I had originally bought is to did said it was not a serviceable hub which leaves me to question if he knew what he was talking about. I myself don't either lol but than again I don't own a bike shop lol. He had replaced washers in bottom bracket that were stripped I think what caused that I do not know. He definitely did not open the hub up I'm debating on having another shop take a look at it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    How difficult would it be to check out the pawls myself?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyhill View Post
    How difficult would it be to check out the pawls myself?
    It isn't that bad, you only need a pair of snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring holding the freehub, behind the axle dust cap. You can then remove and inspect/clean the cartridge bearings as well if you wanted to.