Goblin front brakes dragging- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Goblin front brakes dragging

My Goblin hasn't been ridden in 2 years sitting in my basement. I went to take it out today and the front brake is really dragging so that you cant spin the wheel. What should I check?

mtbr member
    How hot is it where you are at? If it has the SRAM brakes, they are known for locking up when it gets hot, and eventually seizing. One of the guys I work with had the DB5 brakes on his Niner, and they locked up just sitting in his garage.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The Goblin I just sold seemed to need to have the calipers re-centered on the rotor fairly frequently. Loosen the caliper bolts, spin the wheel to get smooth rotation and grip the brake lever. While holding the brake lever engaged, re-tighten the caliper bolts. If that doesn't help check for loose brake pads or a warped rotor.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by DCFarris View Post
    How hot is it where you are at? If it has the SRAM brakes, they are known for locking up when it gets hot, and eventually seizing. One of the guys I work with had the DB5 brakes on his Niner, and they locked up just sitting in his garage.

The bike has been in my basement probably 65 degrees.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks I did loosen the caliper mounting bolts but the pads are still holding the wheel tight. I can turn it by hand but it wont spin freely.
    Ill take the pads out and reinstall them.

I have only ridden this bike a few times on a bike path.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The pads are so tight again the rotor, something must have swelled, i cant push the pistons in.

mtbr member
    Are the levers locked up too?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    No the lever seems fine, i may just replace the while thing with an elixer avid 7 for 49$

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I took the pads out, hit the lever a few times and the pistons moved out, now they wont press back in and i put the pads back in they are closed together no.room for the rotor.

mtbr member
    I'm not an expert, but you may need to bleed the brakes. It definitely doesn't sound like the heat problem that people are having with Avid/SRAM brakes. I read in the brake forums that the brake fluid can pick up moisture which can cause problems.

mtbr member
    Good morning,

First, try to pry the pads apart. Your brakes should have come with a red spacer that was inserted as a space-holder wedge when the bike shipped to you. This is optimal for using to pry the pads apart. If you don't have that, try to use something plastic that won't scratch or damage things.

Once you've pried them apart with a fairly large gap between them, don't squeeze the lever again until you've mounted the caliper, inserted the wheel, and aligned the caliper to the rotor. If they don't retract back then and are stuck against the rotor again, then you need to do a bleed. Maybe even a full fluid replacement if there's water in the system (I think there may be).

If you don't have time for a bleed and need to get on it quickly, in a pinch you can release some of the fluid from the system which may help relieve the pressure. You can open the bleed valve on the caliper ever so slightly, and gently squeeze the lever to release a little bit I mean a very little bit, then close the valve as you still have pressure on the lever. This isn't optimal, but I know it works in systems with water contamination as I've done this in the past.

Best of luck,

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks

i took the pads out and tried to get the pistons to go in but it wouldn't move. I pumped the lever and it moves. I even used needle nosed pliers to get the pistons to go in but nothing.

I think i might just order this and swap it.https://www.amazon.com/ELIXIR-Hydrau...=elixir+avid+7

Name:  41worBPnYCL.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  17.7 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr1300 View Post
    Thanks

i took the pads out and tried to get the pistons to go in but it wouldn't move. I pumped the lever and it moves. I even used needle nosed pliers to get the pistons to go in but nothing.

I think i might just order this and swap it.https://www.amazon.com/ELIXIR-Hydrau...=elixir+avid+7

Name:  41worBPnYCL.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  17.7 KB
    Might I suggest an alternative solution?

Those brakes you are buying are old OEM that also have been sitting around for quite awhile. It's quite possible they will need a bleed as well.

Consider spending 1/2 the money you were going to spend, and order the bleed kit instead. It's not difficult to do, and once you learn the skill you'll save yourself time and hassle in the future if you can do this job yourself and have the tools to do so.

https://www.amazon.com/Brake-Bleed-F...avid+bleed+kit

Best of luck!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I had my rear Goblin brake seize up after a year. Read the many bad reports on SRAM brakes on here. Suggest you just buy shimano or hopes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Whats a good replacement model? Ive been reading reviews all day and cant decide lol

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I splurged on Hope E4 which are great mechanically speaking. Reliable which is what I wanted after the SRAM experience. If I did it again to Id go any Shimano though, probably the affordable Deore. Hope has a unique modulation that requires a decent lever pull for the power needed on steep hills. I realize I kinda like the on/off of Shimano. My other bike has SLX version which are great.