Goblin - Front Brake Rub- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

Goblin - Front Brake Rub

I'm having some issues with my front brake rotor rubbing intermittently. I can true it up perfectly while on the bike stand with no rubbing, but after I take it for a ride it will start to rub again.

I have changed out the rotor, brakes pads, bled the brakes with bleed block, torqued caliper bolts, cleaned and lubed the brake pistons.... with no luck.

If I turn the bike upside down and look through the caliper to see the rotor/brake pad gap... I can grab the rim and if I apply pressure back and forth while holding the handle bars in place I can make the rotor touch the brake pads on both sides with little pressure.

This led me start thinking the problem was with my hub bearings. Also, if I ride on pavement and lean the bike over and ride in circles I can make the rotor rub, which seemed like it confirmed my hub bearings were moving.

So I ordered some 6200 RS cartridge bearings and replaced them, but it did not fix the rubbing issue.

Will somebody else that owns the Goblin see if they can move the rim and make the rotor touch the brake pad. The only thing I can think to do now is to upgrade to a better front hub and switch to a 15mm thru axle fork.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Wish I could help but the wheels were one of the first things I swapped the day I got the bike.
    I'm guessing you already know avids are known for rubbing and being near impossible to fix the rubbing. I will say that the newer DB1's that came on my seeker have been problem free, to my pleasant surprise.

mtbr member
    My only 2 guesses are to make sure your wheel is still true and also make sure when you close your quick release skewer that it is nice and tight

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The rotor is connected to the hub so wheel trueness does not effect brake rub.. or so I've been told.

Skewer is very tight

Hopefully I can figure this out eventually

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    When I learn hard on a turn my Goblin brakes also rub. The rubbing hasn't been too bad otherwise. They can get noisy though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thanks for letting me know

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I had this same problem when my goblin arrived in January. My rotor appeared slightly bent. I think it was due to the poor packaging method (I think they can improve here). Anyways, I was able to gently bend the rotor until the rubbing stopped. So far so good using this method to stop the rubbing.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Check the surface of the contact points of the caliper and the fork. If there is paint on the post ends or on the caliper, it will move off center. Take a file and lightly remove the paint, this should give a clean metal to metal contact point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Check the surface of the contact points of the caliper and the fork. If there is paint on the post ends or on the caliper, it will move off center. Take a file and lightly remove the paint, this should give a clean metal to metal contact point.
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TMO8853 View Post
    Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try.
    Any luck with the front brake?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The bikes currently on the stand and I have the front brake spinning free with no rub. However, after my ride this week it will probably be rubbing by the end of it. I'm thinking about taking the front caliper apart and doing a rebuild to ensure that the brake pistons are resetting back properly each time.

Its so weird... if I can get it perfect in the stand and by the end of a ride its rubbing, something is moving or the brake pistons aren't retracting fully after using the brake for a while. I'm almost certain the calipers them self are not moving. I have them tightened down really tight. Probably to tight.

mtbr member
    The bikes currently on the stand and I have the front brake spinning free with no rub. However, after my ride this week it will probably be rubbing by the end of it. I'm thinking about taking the front caliper apart and doing a rebuild to ensure that the brake pistons are resetting back properly each time.

Its so weird... if I can get it perfect in the stand and by the end of a ride its rubbing, something is moving or the brake pistons aren't retracting fully after using the brake for a while. I'm almost certain the calipers them self are not moving. I have them tightened down really tight. Probably to tight.
    I am curious to see how it goes, please keep us in the loop!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Soul... Just wanted to give you an update. I took your advice and sanded the caliper contact points. They did in fact have paint on them. I originally had the caliper so tight, I thought there was no way some paint would allow it move. However, after doing what you said I've now put three rides on the bike and the brake / caliper turn free without rubbing.

I do still get the occasional rub while riding, but when I get back home and put the bike in the bike stand there is no rub.

Thanks for the advice!

mtbr member
    Soul... Just wanted to give you an update. I took your advice and sanded the caliper contact points. They did in fact have paint on them. I originally had the caliper so tight, I thought there was no way some paint would allow it move. However, after doing what you said I've now put three rides on the bike and the brake / caliper turn free without rubbing.

I do still get the occasional rub while riding, but when I get back home and put it in the bike stand there is no rub.

Thanks for the advice!
    SWEET! Glad to hear it worked, now go get it dirty! Happy riding!