Getting Antsy to Start Mountain Biking- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Getting Antsy to Start Mountain Biking

Hey everyone!

Thanks to a lot of reviews and pictures in this forum, I ordered my first mountain bike; an Airborne Goblin!

It isn't my first bike, I'm a road cyclist at heart, but with 3 people getting killed by cars riding on the road I live on this season, I'm having to drive my bike somewhere safer to ride.

Driving my bike to get somewhere to ride was a big reason I haven't started sooner, but since I have to drive my bike before I ride anyway, I decided I'd give mountain biking a try.

I have to ask though, how long does it usually take this company to ship bikes out!? I ordered last Tuesday and still have not received a shipping notification and my order still says processing on the Airborne site.

How long did it take you all to get yours?

It is raining so I don't want to ride. Both road bikes are clean and lubed and I'm bored! I need a bike to work on!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleykd View Post
    Hey everyone!

Thanks to a lot of reviews and pictures in this forum, I ordered my first mountain bike; an Airborne Goblin!

It isn't my first bike, I'm a road cyclist at heart, but with 3 people getting killed by cars riding on the road I live on this season, I'm having to drive my bike somewhere safer to ride.

Driving my bike to get somewhere to ride was a big reason I haven't started sooner, but since I have to drive my bike before I ride anyway, I decided I'd give mountain biking a try.

I have to ask though, how long does it usually take this company to ship bikes out!? I ordered last Tuesday and still have not received a shipping notification and my order still says processing on the Airborne site.

How long did it take you all to get yours?

It is raining so I don't want to ride. Both road bikes are clean and lubed and I'm bored! I need a bike to work on!
    That sounds familiar. Originally, my bike took about a week, but it seems there are issues at Airborne. I bought some other items recently, and my order said the same thing for a week, emailed Airborne and was told it shipped. Next week goes by, no shipping notifications and order still says "processing". Email again and nobody knows what happened to the order, but had to be reshipped. My account still says the order is processing, even though it finally arrived, about 3 weeks later.

Email and/or call them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I agree with trying to contact them. I would email and call. You can also send a private message on Facebook. The Goblin is a good bike, welcome to the mountain bike community!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    That sounds familiar. Originally, my bike took about a week, but it seems there are issues at Airborne. I bought some other items recently, and my order said the same thing for a week, emailed Airborne and was told it shipped. Next week goes by, no shipping notifications and order still says "processing". Email again and nobody knows what happened to the order, but had to be reshipped. My account still says the order is processing, even though it finally arrived, about 3 weeks later.

Email and/or call them.

I guess my situation was similar!

I emailed them and they sent me a tracking number and when I checked it, it says it arrived and was signed for today!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I guess my situation was similar!

I emailed them and they sent me a tracking number and when I checked it, it says it arrived and was signed for today!
    Uh, I hope somebody else isn't riding around on your new Goblin, and that it was a big mistake.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Westorbust View Post
    Uh, I hope somebody else isn't riding around on your new Goblin, and that it was a big mistake.
    Nope!

I guess my FedEx guy just figured he would do me a favor and sign for it since I wasn't there! lol.

It was on my porch when I got home last night and I get it all put together!

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Nope!

I guess my FedEx guy just figured he would do me a favor and sign for it since I wasn't there! lol.

It was on my porch when I got home last night and I get it all put together!
    Good deal.

I'm surprised they'd sign for it. Maybe you know your Fedex guy, but if mine did that, we'd have words.

Enjoy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I was a little worried about it while waiting to get home, but it wasn't stolen off of my porch so in this case I was happy with they left it.

I don't know the FedEx guy, most stuff for me comes ups.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    I was a little worried about it while waiting to get home, but it wasn't stolen off of my porch so in this case I was happy with they left it.

I don't know the FedEx guy, most stuff for me comes ups.
    Good deal. Honestly, them signing for it, and leaving it on your porch, defeats the purpose of signing for it, but glad it wasn't stolen. Probably was left for time saving, since those guys have to pretty much sprint all day long to deliver packages. It would have been stolen from my front porch, I guarantee it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    The first ride, albeit a little damp, was a success!

Turns out I love mountain biking more than I thought.

My only issue is what to do with my seat post... As a roadie, I am way more efficient climbing sitting down, but that is not the case with a low saddle. The BMX rider in me from my teen years can't seem to get back on the bike with a proper saddle height and I want it really low for bunny hops, manuals, and drops.

I settled with it in that position, but I think I've still got quite a bit of tweaking to do. That was just a quick and dirty fit to be comfortable enough for a first ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    That seat height would definatley be way too low for me to be comfortable riding. I like my seat to be above my handle bars atleast. Seems like a good purchase for you would be a dropper seat post.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I agree! I ride with a pretty decent saddle to bar drop on my road bike, but that saddle gets in my way and puts way too much weight on the front of the bike for mountain biking (it seems).

I'll have to look into this dropper seat post....

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I agree! I ride with a pretty decent saddle to bar drop on my road bike, but that saddle gets in my way and puts way too much weight on the front of the bike for mountain biking (it seems).

I'll have to look into this dropper seat post....
    For the problem you describe, you definitely should look into a dropper. If you just want to try it out, there are some relatively inexpensive ones out there. KS makes a post called the eTen for about $150 and I personally have had great luck with the TMARS branded droppers sold through Ebay. I think that you can pick one up for 75-80 bucks.