Fit questions...16" Goblin EVO- Mtbr.com
    Squ-eti

Fit questions...16" Goblin EVO

Question for all the Goblin EVO owners out there. Especially those on the 16".

I got out for my first ride today, and the cockpit felt...cramped. I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam, and this is my first 29er. I went with the 16" for the standover height, but with the top tube length and the short (for me) 75 mm stem my total reach is 2.5" shorter than my 26" bike that fits me "perfect". The handlebars are a bit wider on the Airborne so that would take away some reach I suppose...

Oh, and I've already pushed the seat back on the rails as far as possible even though I know this isn't how you're supposed to fit a bike.

So, my question is, if I go to a longer stem to get a better fit am I going to screw up the handling of the bike? Everyone keeps talking about making their stems shorter and shorter to improve handling, and here I am wanting to make mine longer!
    Last edited by mccartney7499; 02-20-2015 at 04:21 PM.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Fit is a personal thing, so if it feels cramped try a longer stem. There aren't any rules.

Conversely, you might want to give it some more time if you've only ridden it once. I find it takes a little while to get the feel of any bike.

Squ-eti
    Thanks, I flipped the stem and put one of the little spacers on top with the two big spacers that were already there. That lowered the front about a half an inch, and increased the reach a little. Felt good riding around the basement. I'll give that a try before I get crazy haha.

Fit questions...16" Goblin EVO-bike1.jpg
    Fit questions...16" Goblin EVO-bike2.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cockpit fit trumps standover every time.
    You can use a 20mm setback seat post and even wider bars to help tune your fit.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    To go back to the stemquestion, it's not unheard of if you wanted to go longer on the bike. I would say you could do up to 95-100 before you start feeling loopy, maybe even 110 but that might be more than you need. Most shops let you try it on and ride around the parking lot before you buy a new stem too.

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    To go back to the stemquestion, it's not unheard of if you wanted to go longer on the bike. I would say you could do up to 95-100 before you start feeling loopy, maybe even 110 but that might be more than you need. Most shops let you try it on and ride around the parking lot before you buy a new stem too.
    If I go longer it's probably not going to be more than 90. For now I'm going to give flipping and lowering the stem a try (a 5 degree rise stem on a slack head tube doesn't even make it to zero rise, but it does feel better to me). When I said the cockpit felt "cramped" what I meant was more upright/higher than I'm used to. My other bikes are set up with the seat level to, or slightly above the handlebar height. I'm at about 2.5" above the seat right now with the fork sagged. I still have a few spacers under the stem I can remove, but I was hoping to achieve a good position w/o slamming the stem in to the headset. Once I get a good position I'm planning on lopping some off the steerer tube, but I'd like to keep enough to be flexible in the future.

Mostly I just don't want to turn the front end in to a tiller, and destroy the handling traits the bike was designed to have, but I also want to find a comfortable/neutral position on the bike. Think I'm pretty close now. If it ever stops snowing I'll get back out to give it another whirl.

Stuck in the house means a good day to convert to tubeless!

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by eb1888 View Post
    effective top tube is less than a half inch shorter than my other bikes. I didn't think it would be a big deal. I'm thinking now that the super upright position with the longer travel fork, short reach combo of top tube/stem are my issues. Would have liked to be on a 18" because I like being stretched out, but honestly at my height/inseam didn't think it was a good option.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    If I go longer it's probably not going to be more than 90. For now I'm going to give flipping and lowering the stem a try (a 5 degree rise stem on a slack head tube doesn't even make it to zero rise, but it does feel better to me). When I said the cockpit felt "cramped" what I meant was more upright/higher than I'm used to. My other bikes are set up with the seat level to, or slightly above the handlebar height. I'm at about 2.5" above the seat right now with the fork sagged. I still have a few spacers under the stem I can remove, but I was hoping to achieve a good position w/o slamming the stem in to the headset. Once I get a good position I'm planning on lopping some off the steerer tube, but I'd like to keep enough to be flexible in the future.

Mostly I just don't want to turn the front end in to a tiller, and destroy the handling traits the bike was designed to have, but I also want to find a comfortable/neutral position on the bike. Think I'm pretty close now. If it ever stops snowing I'll get back out to give it another whirl.

Stuck in the house means a good day to convert to tubeless!
    You can try a little longer and a little more angle. 80-90mm and up to a 10 degree turned over. Maybe 10 would too much but you get the point.

Squ-eti
    Got out today for a quick spin, albeit on the the road. With the slightly lowered and flipped stem I felt much more neutral on the bike. Hands not weighted, but didn't feel like I was riding a chopper anymore either :-)

Did notice on one downhill turn that the bike didn't respond to the turn the way I expected. Guess I need to get used to the longer travel fork and slack headtube, and adjust the way I ride. Of course, I may feel differently when the snow and ice finally melts, and I do some cornering on dirt.