First time poster with a n0ob question,Geax AKA tire related.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

New question here. First time poster with a n0ob question,Geax AKA tire related.

Good afternoon Airborne owners, I ordered my first quality bike on the 12th, an Airborne Goblin in size 22, I still haven't gotten my shipping notice and my ride still says processing, but that hasn't stopped me from already buying upgrades! I bought some Azonic 420 peddles for my huge size 14 EEEE feet, and a WTB Pure pro saddle for my butt.

Two questions I have on the tires.

1) Can I go tubeless with the provided Geax AKA and WTB speedDisc rims, will this tire give me problems going tubeless?

2) How do these tires perform and roll on pavement, I will be riding more on streets than on trails, I live in the city and will be driving out to the trails on my days off from work, so most of my riding for fitness will be on the streets on days that I work.

I have been viewing a couple of YouTube vids, and reading up on tubeless threads, I plan on using the Gorilla tape clear for the tape, the rest of the stuff will be Stan's offerings.

Thanks in advance for input!

From the Airborne website.

Hubs

KT HiFlange Sealed Bearing 32H

Rims

WTB SpeedDisc I-19 Alloy Double-Walled with eyelets

Spokes

Black 14g Stainless

Tires

GEAX AKA 2.2"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkBait View Post
    Good afternoon Airborne owners, I ordered my first quality bike on the 12th, an Airborne Goblin in size 22, I still haven't gotten my shipping notice and my ride still says processing, but that hasn't stopped me from already buying upgrades! I bought some Azonic 420 peddles for my huge size 14 EEEE feet, and a WTB Pure pro saddle for my butt.

Two questions I have on the tires.

1) Can I go tubeless with the provided Geax AKA and WTB speedDisc rims, will this tire give me problems going tubeless?

2) How do these tires perform and roll on pavement, I will be riding more on streets than on trails, I live in the city and will be driving out to the trails on my days off from work, so most of my riding for fitness will be on the streets on days that I work.
    1) Yep, you can go straight tubeless, but know that the wire bead of the AKA's can be troublesome to get mounted at first. I did this with my Goblin, and I never looked back. I have never heard of using clear Gorilla tape, and using the regular tape can leave a nasty residue, unlike Stan's Tape.

2) The tread is a small block, so pavement riding will be nice, just know that the tire will wear quicker in the rear.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    1) Yep, you can go straight tubeless, but know that the wire bead of the AKA's can be troublesome to get mounted at first. I did this with my Goblin, and I never looked back. I have never heard of using clear Gorilla tape, and using the regular tape can leave a nasty residue, unlike Stan's Tape.

2) The tread is a small block, so pavement riding will be nice, just know that the tire will wear quicker in the rear.
    Thanks for the help, I'll look into Stans tape instead of Gorilla, I'll probably order some heavy duty rim levers just in case my cheapy blue levers bust on me while using them.

Would a Stans no tubes kit be a better investment rather than doing a ghetto tube job? Stan's NoTubes Tubeless System > Components > Wheels, Tires and Tubes > Tubeless kits | Jenson USA

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    Thank you s0ul_chicken for your help, I posted a reply awhile ago and it said it's being reviewed by a moderator. I posted a link to a Stan's No tube tubeless system kit I was looking at and wanted your opinion on it, I guess if n0ob posters post links it automatically gets flagged as spam, then gets viewed by a moderator for review, I think after a mod reads my post he/she will post it up after review.

Thanks s0ul_chicken for the help!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the help, I'll look into Stans tape instead of Gorilla, I'll probably order some heavy duty rim levers just in case my cheapy blue levers bust on me while using them.

Would a Stans no tubes kit be a better investment rather than doing a ghetto tube job?
    That depends on your finances, ghetto will always be cheaper, but if that is not the issue, get the kit. I would also just price out the valves, tape, and juice, as adding the Stans is very easy through the valve without needing special tools. I prefer the Stans stuff, it works, and it is a reliable system.

Folding bead tires will always seal better vs. wire bead, but not to say it cannot be done. It isn't so much getting the tire on the rim, rather getting a good solid seal is the biggest obstacle. I would also suggest painting on a light layer of Stans on the bead and on the rim so once it does catch, it gives it a little bit more sealing power.

Happy riding, and be sure to post up pictures of your new bike!

mtbr member

Good job!

That depends on your finances, ghetto will always be cheaper, but if that is not the issue, get the kit. I would also just price out the valves, tape, and juice, as adding the Stans is very easy through the valve without needing special tools. I prefer the Stans stuff, it works, and it is a reliable system.

Folding bead tires will always seal better vs. wire bead, but not to say it cannot be done. It isn't so much getting the tire on the rim, rather getting a good solid seal is the biggest obstacle. I would also suggest painting on a light layer of Stans on the bead and on the rim so once it does catch, it gives it a little bit more sealing power.

Happy riding, and be sure to post up pictures of your new bike!

I'll just order the tape,valve stem, and juice, I'll skip the rubber lining that comes in the kit. I have some empty plastic syringes that I buy for precision greasing firearms, I'll fill those up with the required 2oz of juice and fill the tire with it.

Thanks again, I'll definitely post pics of my Goblin when it gets here!

mtbr member
    Ooops, I forgot to ask, did ya' use the 25mm, or the 21mm Stan's tape for the MTB rims on the Goblin?

mtbr member
    Ooops, I forgot to ask, did ya' use the 25mm, or the 21mm Stan's tape for the MTB rims on the Goblin?
    21mm is what you will need for the conversion - have fun!

mtbr member
    21mm is what you will need for the conversion - have fun!
    Off to order some goodies for my Goblin!

Ya' hooked me up again, thank you!

mtbr member
    Off to order some goodies for my Goblin!

Ya' hooked me up again, thank you!
    No worries, and don't be afraid to ask questions here, we actually have a decent group of guys here willing to help!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I did this on my goblin a few weeks ago. It was a struggle, but it worked!

As soul said, the wire bead sits very tight on the rim, so when you have the thickness of the tape on it too, it makes it difficult to seat.

I turned my compressor up to 150psi and hit it with a quick shot of high pressure to seat the bead. Be careful - Max tire pressure is 65, but 65 psi going through the presta valve wouldn't seat the bead. As soon as the bead popped onto the rim, I stopped and turned the pressure down to 60psi. I pressurized the tire then worked it an bounced it to finally get that last bit of the bead to pop into the hook.

Something that really helped is to run some Stans around the wheel and around the bead of the tire to lube it. I think this also helps seal it.

It has held pressure for three weeks now.

Remember, it will be a struggle, but it can be done!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    also, I added more than 2 ounces of sealant per tire. I don't know if it is necessary, but 2 ounces didn't seem like enough the first time I tried it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleykd View Post
    I did this on my goblin a few weeks ago. It was a struggle, but it worked!

As soul said, the wire bead sits very tight on the rim, so when you have the thickness of the tape on it too, it makes it difficult to seat.

I turned my compressor up to 150psi and hit it with a quick shot of high pressure to seat the bead. Be careful - Max tire pressure is 65, but 65 psi going through the presta valve wouldn't seat the bead. As soon as the bead popped onto the rim, I stopped and turned the pressure down to 60psi. I pressurized the tire then worked it an bounced it to finally get that last bit of the bead to pop into the hook.

Something that really helped is to run some Stans around the wheel and around the bead of the tire to lube it. I think this also helps seal it.

It has held pressure for three weeks now.

Remember, it will be a struggle, but it can be done!
    also, I added more than 2 ounces of sealant per tire. I don't know if it is necessary, but 2 ounces didn't seem like enough the first time I tried it.

Thanks!

I'll use my huge compressor we have at work, that compressor should work perfectly.

mtbr member
    A big +1 there bradleykd! The first time I mount a new tire I actually double the dose of juice so there is plenty in there after it starts sealing itself up.

mtbr member
    A big +1 there bradleykd! The first time I mount a new tire I actually double the dose of juice so there is plenty in there after it starts sealing itself up.
    Now I'm glad I bought the 16oz bottle of Stan's sealant, I'll double up on the juice when I do the tubeless conversion.

I decided to order a pair of Maxxis Crossmark 29x2.1 EXO TR, I did a ton of Googling and searching this and other forums for a fast rolling pavement friendly mountain bike tire, a lot of folks who ride like I'll be riding, mostly on streets on weekdays, and trails on weekends, we're happy with the Crossmarks. They said that it's a quiet tire on pavement, which means less rolling resistance, and they also were happy at the rate they wore down considering they mostly rode on pavement. I plan on selling the brand new unused GEAX AKA's at work to recoup some money on what I spend on the Crossmarks, or I might just keep the GEAX as spare tires just in case I get an unfixable slash or hole on my Crossmarks.

I'm super stoked on getting this bike, I'm checking my emails like every hour for a shipping confirmation on my bike, I feel like a kid waiting for Santa!

Happy Friday everybody!

mtbr member
    Oh yeah! Happy Friday for sure! It is going to be a hot day, but I look forward to the hot rides after work. Time to bust out the Mickey Mouse Vans!!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    I ghetto converted the GEAX on my seeker using the 1 inch gorilla tape, like always, once I finally get the seal, it works perfect. I've done this on 6 bikes now without issue, use an old tube that has a hole it in, cut out the valve, use gorilla tape, then spend an hour cussing trying to get the bead to seat.

The Geax is a fast rolling tire but honestly, is the worst tire I've ever used. On anything but hardpack they have terrible grip. Where I ride there's a lot of roots and rock gardens and these tires are terrifying to ride on as I'm sliding off everything. Cornering they break loose abruptly and without warning, and after only 75 miles of admittedly hard, technical riding with lots of climbing, they are already bald in the middle. 75 miles is ridiculous. I've put well over 300 miles on Specialized and maxxis tires, ranging from downhill Butchers to cross country and they in a whole different league of performance and longevity. Going tubeless on the GEAX seemed to be a waste of my time and my Stanz as I cant wait to replace them. If your riding pavement and hardpack though, then they are probably fine...

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Stinkbait did you get your bike yet? Did the status ever change from "processing" to "shippng" or something else to indicate that the order is moving along?

Just curious. I placed an order for a Guardian on the 15th and it's still in "processing" status.

If you did get, share your thoughts on the bike and if it met your expectations.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by landmissle View Post
    Stinkbait did you get your bike yet? Did the status ever change from "processing" to "shippng" or something else to indicate that the order is moving along?

Just curious. I placed an order for a Guardian on the 15th and it's still in "processing" status.

If you did get, share your thoughts on the bike and if it met your expectations.

I placed my order on the 11th or 12th, my order read "processing" the whole week, on Saturday the 18th I get a knock on the door, it was FedEx with my bike! I had logged on to check my order status that very morning and my order was still processing acording to the Airborne website, but my bike showed up a few hours after reading my status on the website, lol!

I haven't ridden my bike yet, I did put it all together though. My brakes are rubbing and I could not fix the issue, I watched a few YouTube vids on tuning brakes, but nothing I did worked.

I'm going to drive on over to my local bike shop and have them look at my brakes, while it's there I want them to go over the whole bike.

I'm in love with my bike and I haven't even ridden it yet, the brake issue really doesn't bother me at the moment, if the bike shop can't correct it then i'll be a bit upset at the brakes, not the bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by landmissle View Post

I was in the same boat.

My bike took about a week and a half from order to arrival. I'm in KY and they ship from CA. Some people on the west coast have gotten them quicker.

I think my order still says processing. lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    ...I haven't ridden my bike yet, I did put it all together though. My brakes are rubbing and I could not fix the issue, I watched a few YouTube vids on tuning brakes, but nothing I did worked...
    Welcome to the world of Avid brakes! I trued my rotors and adjusted calipers where they wouldn't rub, then bled them and they ran great for a couple of weeks. I noticed on my last ride that my rear rotor is rubbing again. blegh.

mtbr member
    Welcome to the world of Avid brakes! I trued my rotors and adjusted calipers where they wouldn't rub, then bled them and they ran great for a couple of weeks. I noticed on my last ride that my rear rotor is rubbing again. blegh.

When I did a Google search for "Elixer brakes rubbing rotor", I knew I was in trouble by how many threads popped up....

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I've read the same and even heard it from a guy I met locally, therefor I bought a set of Maguras. Would've just gotten some Shimanos but got s smoking deal on the maguras. I had great lucky with my old Juicy 3's but it seems like the newer Elixirs are more susceptible to rub.

If you're tired of dealing with the rub and unable to fix it, you can get sets of Shimano Deore 6xx for under $70/set on ebay.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    I've read the same and even heard it from a guy I met locally, therefor I bought a set of Maguras. Would've just gotten some Shimanos but got s smoking deal on the maguras. I had great lucky with my old Juicy 3's but it seems like the newer Elixirs are more susceptible to rub.

If you're tired of dealing with the rub and unable to fix it, you can get sets of Shimano Deore 6xx for under $70/set on ebay.
    Thanks for the info, I've been working like a dog and haven't been able to take my bike to the shop yet, if he can't get them right I'll look into changing them completely to another brand.

mtbr member
    When I first got my Seeker, I went tubeless right away on the Geax's, then replaced them a week later with Spesh.GC's, much better handling. I used the stans tape and valves, worked super easy, and not expensive at all, not sure why a lot of people are using gorilla tape instead.. I have multiple bikes with the Elixer 1's, never had any issues with any of them.. now with that said, I'm waiting for my Hobgoblin frame to come in and just got another set of elixers for that
    , watch me have an issue..lol