First ride on Griffin!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

First ride on Griffin!

Finally moved to north georgia mountains. Have not MTB'ed in 15 years. Rode the 5.7 miles loop at Aska trails in blueridge. Yes, I need a few breaks for my Florida legs, but had a blast. Plus size tires are amazing with climbing for grip and really smooths things out on the downhills. Overall the Griffin is a great bike. The brakes do suck, though. The back disc looked burned like a piece of toast after only one ride.

First ride on Griffin!-20160509_105728.jpgFirst ride on Griffin!-20160509_112341.jpgFirst ride on Griffin!-20160509_113751.jpg

mtbr member
    Nice! Welcome to the family - keep the pictures coming!

mtbr member
    any up dates?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yes, the bike has been great! The rear disc turned toasty brown and the brakes required way to much grip strength to work, effectively. So, I replaced the brakes with Shimano SLX brakes and XT ice tech rotors front and rear. They are better and require a lot less grip pressure to work. Now my hands do not hurt when I reach the bottom of the downhill. Admittedly, the north Georgia trails have really big downhills. The Aska trail near my house is made up of a 2.5 mile climb start, 2-3 mile down hill (not exactly sure) and another tough 1 mile climb back up to the parking lot. So, these trails require some good brakes. With the new brakes, the Griffin ROCKS! The plus tires smooth things out everywhere including the uphill roots and rocks. Coming down, the big tires allow me to sometimes just plow through rough sections. And the tire grip while climbing is very confidence inspiring. I have yet to spin out anywhere. My tire pressure is about 14 front and rear and I weigh about 170lbs. Feels great at that pressure. For the money this bike is a great buy. I paid $1400 with shipping and $186 for the brakes from Jenson. That puts me at (ouch math!) $1586. A major brand would sell this thing with the upgraded brakes for about $2500 (just guessing). This bike was a great find for me. One drawback....my legs still hurt on those DAMN climbs. How do I stop that...ha ha?First ride on Griffin!-20160522_162903.jpgFirst ride on Griffin!-20160522_162919.jpgFirst ride on Griffin!-20160522_162935.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    sorry for the rotated rotor photos

mtbr member
    Thanks for the updates and pics! Are you setup tubeless yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yes, I was able to do the tubeless setup. It was a little frustrating. Luckily, I had a air compressor. I don't know how people do it with an air pump.

CoolArrow
    Nice stuff! How do you like those brakes?

Funny you mention the rotor turning brownish... I was staring the bike last night, like all good bike owners do, and I noticed the rear rotor had a strange patina. I figured it may have been I was tired, lighting or something, but now I have to go back and see... new pads (at least) are in order, but probably new brakes - but not till after I get a dropper post.

My first ride was yesterday after work. 11 mile loop. Mostly gradual climbs, and hard pack/decomposed granite trail - for the most part.

There's a couple steep-ish climbs on the loose stuff that I was completely surprised I could clean w/out sliding out. The grip is incredible. I still found myself hanging a foot off on hard high speed turns, but again amazed at the grip.

Handling feels snappy - sadly I didn't put on QR seat post clamp, and forgot my mulit-tool, so I couldn't get in to any really aggressive terrain/moves or jumps with my seat in XC climb mode, but I'm very anxious to do so. The geometry was surprisingly stable at speed (given the steep-ish head angle) and never did I feel it was twitchy or wandering. It went where I put it, and the cockpit is perfectly comfortable.

Drivetrain was snappy too. A little bit of grinding/skipping, but easily adjusted out with a few twists of the barrel.

The large tires take some getting used to. I do run 2.5's on my trail bike, but these are a whole new beast, and there is definitely some extra rolling resistance with the 3" tires.

Should add: I did swap out the stock stem for an inverted 50mm stem, and it feels great. Can't wait to get a dropper post on this!

Tubeless conversion is next... How much stans did you use?

First ride on Griffin!-griffin-001.jpg
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post

Tubeless conversion is next... How much stans did you use?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	griffin 001.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	300.3 KB 
ID:	1074199
    Great shot Jerry! Glad you are digging on the Griffin as much as the rest of us.

I put in a double dose of Stans, which was probably overkill, but I still here it sloshing around in both wheels. I haven't seen a puncture in the tires yet, they are surprisingly resilient to the rougher terrain, which was an initial concern of mine. Enjoy the ride JH!

CoolArrow
    Thanks buddy! Double dose sounds good, too many goatheads here. Digging the ride
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2015

... and if we just ...

There is a new trail in Blairsville, Ga. Only 3 miles, but it is fun and has some great scenery along the way.First ride on Griffin!-20160608_101844.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    That Griffin looks like a great bike.

A friend of mine who I lent my 29+ bike, the last time he was in town, was asking me questions about 27.5+ bikes. I told him that I thought the 29+ was a good choice for running rigid, but I thought that if a person wants to run a mid-fat with a suspension fork that the 27.5+ was a better choice.

I think long term both 29+ and 27.5+ will both be around for a long time.

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by joevdenne View Post
    There is a new trail in Blairsville, Ga. Only 3 miles, but it is fun and has some great scenery along the way.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160608_101844.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	346.5 KB 
ID:	1075149
    Beautiful lake and scenery. As much as i love the southwest , still miss Ohio/Michigan every once in a while.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman29 View Post
    That Griffin looks like a great bike.

A friend of mine who I lent my 29+ bike, the last time he was in town, was asking me questions about 27.5+ bikes. I told him that I thought the 29+ was a good choice for running rigid, but I thought that if a person wants to run a mid-fat with a suspension fork that the 27.5+ was a better choice.

I think long term both 29+ and 27.5+ will both be around for a long time.
    agree. I'm more an enduro/long travel trail bike sort, but im really enjoying the Griffin. My days of full rigid are definitely behind me, but the Griffin gave me urge to run it single speed. Would be funm but hard to ditch that GX drivetrain!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    There is a new trail in Blairsville, Ga. Only 3 miles, but it is fun and has some great scenery along the way.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160608_101844.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	346.5 KB 
ID:	1075149
    Great ride - I love the scenery especially when it is green! Like JH, it reminds me of Wisconsin. Keep the pictures coming!

CoolArrow
    Nothing too exciting, just some local rock crawling. Better ride coming today after work as I get the Griffin in to the mountains.

Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Trying 26 tooth chainring up front like "soulchicken" did in another post. I never use the small cogs in the back anyway. The trails here are long climbs up and long twisting runs down where I don't want to go too fast and fly off the trail. I take it easy on the downhills. So, lowering the gearing a little will give me a "granny gear" for when my legs are screaming and I am gasping for air.. Tomorrow I will try it on the trail. It was fairly easy to change.
    First ride on Griffin!-20160615_114658.jpg

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Love the lower gearing on the long climbs. It gives me my "granny gear" that I can drop to when I am gasping for air and my legs are burning. It allows me to regroup and recover if I need it. The 28T chainring led me to muscle up the real steep sections too much.

mtbr member
    Love the lower gearing on the long climbs. It gives me my "granny gear" that I can drop to when I am gasping for air and my legs are burning. It allows me to regroup and recover if I need it. The 28T chainring led me to muscle up the real steep sections too much.
    Sweet!!! I love the 28T as well, it really helps offset the weight of the bike that you are trying to get the up the mountain, plus it makes it easier on the knees. Great job Joe!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    looks like lots of room on that frame and fork. would 29+ fit on either side?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    First ride on Griffin!-20160720_220700.jpg

Trying a 24 tooth chainring up front and have to admit that I love it. On trails with big climbs, it is great. I do not know if performance-wise it is better. But, it is very easy on my knees and gives me a more useful range for big climbs. With the 28 tooth I never seemed to use the smallest 4 cogs in the back. I think on fast trails it would make the gearing too low.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I do not know if 29+ would fit or not. You can email Airborne and they might know.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160720_220700.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	153.8 KB 
ID:	1083275

Trying a 24 tooth chainring up front and have to admit that I love it. On trails with big climbs, it is great. I do not know if performance-wise it is better. But, it is very easy on my knees and gives me a more useful range for big climbs. With the 28 tooth I never seemed to use the smallest 4 cogs in the back. I think on fast trails it would make the gearing too low.
    That's cool!! I never even considered a 24, and I am anxious for the 26T to arrive in time for the weekend. What brand of ring is it? How big are your climbs?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Well the climbs are big to me.....ha ha. But, I just moved to north Georgia from Florida. The two trails that I usually ride are the Aska Trail in Blue Ridge and Bear Creek in Ellijay. The brand is Wolfe Tooth. It was a little pricey at $99. It is stainless steel. A little heavy, but it should last for just about forever. I kinda don't care about weight. I like my rig durable vs light. Does it mean more weight to slug up the climb? Yes, but it seems like a good trade off to me. Plus, I am not racing anybody.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    If you do go with the 24 tooth you will have to remove a few links from the chain. Otherwise, the derailleur binds with the big cog in the back.

mtbr member
    Agreed - hard to be a weight weenie on a Chubby bike! The way I see it, whatever it takes to get up whatever mountain that lies ahead of you is all that matters. If this 26T works out for the Plague, I will be looking at another ring for the Griffin as well. Do you still have the 26T?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Yes, I plan on keeping the 26t and 30t in case I want to change later. Who knows maybe my legs will get stronger. Then, I have the 26 or 30 to switch too. The 26 tooth is pretty cheap if you get the steel like I did. I paid around $15-$20 for it from Jenson.

mtbr member
    I can't find one that cheap anywhere, let alone in steel 26T. All anyone has in stock is 28T, so you found yourself a good deal!

Have a great ride this weekend!

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    It was a 28t steel ring that I purchased from Amazon. I wrote 26t. But, it was a 28t I was running before the 24t. OOps. The 28t is cheap! But, a 24t or 26t steel is not cheap. I purchased mine from Wolfe Toothe. But, it was $99. Not cheap at all. They had 24t and 26t plus other sizes.