Favorite Wheel Size- Mtbr.com

Poll: Favorite Wheel Size?

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265

    Favorite Wheel Size

    Haven't had a poll in awhile...this one should stir the pot lol

    Multiple choices are allowed...
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  2. #2
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    I voted 26", but sorta depends on what I'm riding. If it's predominately smooth singletrack XC cruising for high speed/mileage, then I like 29. For all-around all mountainy semi technical with drops and jumps and rocky tech, I like 26".

    I've not spent enough time on 27.5 to have a preference for it.
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    197
    Having recently gone from 26 to 29, I love 29. When I go back to 26 it feels tiny. I was surprised how big of a difference the change made, I hope it doesn't fade out in favor of 27.5!

  4. #4
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    The rear hub on my EVO is in need of repair. Lots of slipping going on, worn pawls and ratchet ring. So, I'm back on 26" for awhile. Took it out for a little test ride last night. Amazing how much quicker the small wheels accelerate! The flip side is, riding through the yard which is dry as a bone right now, I felt every little bump where on the 29" it smooths all that small stuff out. That and, while the 26" accelerates alot quicker, less rolling mass means it doesn't hold momentum as well.

    Jerry, I don't see the point of 27.5...if it actually measured 27.5 maybe but being that it's actually closer to 26" in diameter it doesn't seem like it would have the advantages of a 29". Instead of being the "best of both worlds" that's it's being touted as it seems like the it's a "jack of all trades, master of none". I've yet to be in a situation on the 29" that I thought, "If my wheels were just a little smaller I would have made that turn".

    Now 27.5+ makes sense to me. Closer to a 29" in diameter, but with more tire width and the ability to run lower pressures for traction and comfort. My fat bike with 4.25" tires on 90mm rims measures just under 29" in diameter which is about what I'm seeing for 27.5+ rim/tire combos so I may build up a set of 27.5+ wheels for the fat bike to be my summer wheels next year.

    I'm only 5'6" tall so 29+ is out the window for me. I barely fit on a 29er! I don't see anything wrong with the format. Just doesn't work for me.

    Now fat bikes...I love 'em!!!

    Would be awesome if Airborne came out with a fattie :-)
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  5. #5
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    I don't see 29" going away anytime soon. If anything I see 27.5 falling out of favor, and companies going back to 26" in a couple years. Eventually I think we'll have 26, 27.5+, and 29. That's my hope anyways because these formats cover the best spectrum of riding without having a million different tire sizes haha!
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,767
    I can see tire size being a factor in a person's overall height, but I also think tire size will get narrowed down to different disciplines as well, such as XC using 29er's most of the time. I rode a 26 for the first year, and then the Goblin for the last two, with the preference being the 29er.

  7. #7
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    The rear hub on my EVO is in need of repair. Lots of slipping going on, worn pawls and ratchet ring. So, I'm back on 26" for awhile. Took it out for a little test ride last night. Amazing how much quicker the small wheels accelerate! The flip side is, riding through the yard which is dry as a bone right now, I felt every little bump where on the 29" it smooths all that small stuff out. That and, while the 26" accelerates alot quicker, less rolling mass means it doesn't hold momentum as well.

    Jerry, I don't see the point of 27.5...if it actually measured 27.5 maybe but being that it's actually closer to 26" in diameter it doesn't seem like it would have the advantages of a 29". Instead of being the "best of both worlds" that's it's being touted as it seems like the it's a "jack of all trades, master of none". I've yet to be in a situation on the 29" that I thought, "If my wheels were just a little smaller I would have made that turn".
    You may not "see the point", but unless you're actively riding one, how would you know?

    I've ridden everything from 20" to 29". When I first got a "Mountain Bike", it felt very, very strange. This was the early 90's, so there were no 29er's yet, and 26 felt HUGE compared to 20" bmx bikes. Wheels felt flexy, frame geometry was strange, on and on. Finally, I got used to the difference and was fine with it.

    So, when I finally went from 26" to 29", initially it was similar feeling, just not as extreme. The wheels were definitely not at stiff as a 26 (though today I'm sure some are close), geometry felt strange at first... But, I got used to it, even raced enduro on a souped-up Hobgoblin. Over time, I felt some limitations in regards to how I wanted to ride, and what I could manage on a 29er, and 26 made more sense. It's not that I couldn't make a turn fast on 29er, or go as high on a jump, it was just easier to manage on a 26".

    Not a problem throwing a 29er around either, but just easier to manage the smaller wheels in an aggressive manner. Now, this is MY experience, not saying it's gospel across the boards. There ARE some 29ers I'd like to add to my stable, like the Enduro 29er for instance....
    Favorite Wheel Size-hob-table.jpg

    Moves like this ARE easier on a 29er, no doubt. But just as possible on a 26 or 27.5. IMO, 27.5 may indeed offer the best of both, if one wants to put it that way.
    Favorite Wheel Size-hobgob-rocks.jpg

    Slowly, the group of people I ride are changing up to 27.5. Biggest reason is availability of new product/frames. Not one of them was saying anything like "I can't wait to try 27.5". It was more like, "I really like the look of that Nomad, or YT, or insert brand here". These guys are accomplished riders - I have to keep on my game in order to keep up a lot of the time, like I said, accomplished riders who push the limits. I've ridden a few of their bikes, and they feel great... And when you get down to, preference will trump everything.
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  8. #8
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    I don't see 29" going away anytime soon. If anything I see 27.5 falling out of favor, and companies going back to 26" in a couple years. Eventually I think we'll have 26, 27.5+, and 29. That's my hope anyways because these formats cover the best spectrum of riding without having a million different tire sizes haha!
    I think right now, we have all three. Or is it five? lol... People may assume 26 is "going" away. Not sure I agree totally. It's definitely out of favor at the moment though...
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  9. #9
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    I can see tire size being a factor in a person's overall height, but I also think tire size will get narrowed down to different disciplines as well, such as XC using 29er's most of the time. I rode a 26 for the first year, and then the Goblin for the last two, with the preference being the 29er.
    Were I riding your terrain the majority of the time, I'd prefer a 29er as well.

    ...right tool for the job.
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Were I riding your terrain the majority of the time, I'd prefer a 29er as well.

    ...right tool for the job.
    Since I first saw your video of Seven Sisters, I have been taking the hills much faster now where as before I would almost come to a stop before going over. Thanks for the confidence boost!

  11. #11
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    rode one of my old 26" mountain bikes tonight because my EVO rear wheel is out of commission for the moment. It felt slow, but ended up only being a half mile per hour slower average speed than my fast laps on the EVO. Still, I took a nose dive into a groundhog hole I didn't see, and bruised up my left knee pretty good. The questions I ask myself are...was the hole always there and I just didn't notice cause the 29er and fat bike roll over everything so well? do I normally miss the hole because I take a different line on the 29er or fat bike than I do on the 26"? did some pesky groundhog just dig that hole to make me ask pointless questions?
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  12. #12
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    You may not "see the point", but unless you're actively riding one, how would you know?
    I hope to never have to find out. 27.5 seems like the answer to the question no one was asking. seems like the bike industry is forcing it on consumers to sell more bikes rather than because it actually has distinct advantages over 26 or 29".

    OK, I suppose if you wanted a long travel bike it's easier to cram more suspension around 27.5" wheels than 29, but if that's the case why not just stick with 26? or bigger 26...like some 26x3" tires.

    true story...one day I was driving home from work, and I ended up behind someone with a bike on a rack. my first thought was, "cool someone still rocking a nice 26" bike!" upon closer inspection it was a 27.5.

    I think Shania Twain expressed it best..."that don't impress me much".

    the only way I ever plan on riding a 27.5 is if it's a plus. which then makes it about a 28.5 haha.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    68
    I've been thinking about 27.5 for a full suspension bike. Reasons being:

    If I go full suspension I want more than 100mm of travel. It is easier to get a 140 or 150 travel bike with 27.5 while still having tons of wheel/tire options that 26 isn't having right now and still a decent sized wheel to roll over big logs and rocks.

    The way I see it, if I'm getting full suspension, I want something with enough travel that I can tune to be compliant over small bumps but still have room to dampen larger drops.

  14. #14
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    I hope to never have to find out. 27.5 seems like the answer to the question no one was asking. seems like the bike industry is forcing it on consumers to sell more bikes rather than because it actually has distinct advantages over 26 or 29".
    Same could be (and was) said about 29ers. Look at 'em now...

    I'll ride whatever is comfortable and allows me to up my game and have fun. 29ers weren't for me, in the big picture of what and how I like to ride. There's just certain places they don't go well. Not the same for 27.5. They're going everywhere I do, as fast or faster, as big or bigger. I'll give 'em a fair shake. The riders I know and trust seem to be doing just fine with them.

    For now, 26 is still my fave though...
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    I didn't see 16" on there so I voted "other".

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite Dallas wheel builder?
    By JAKEtheDOG in forum Texas
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-30-2015, 04:11 PM
  2. Wheel size changes for wider age/size range?
    By BATRG3 in forum Families and Riding with Kids
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-12-2013, 05:22 PM
  3. The wheel size thread to end all wheel size threads.
    By mountainbiker24 in forum All Mountain
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-05-2013, 08:48 PM
  4. Brake size, wheel size? I don't know anything.
    By alex5425alex in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-29-2012, 07:53 PM
  5. Favorite Central PA Wheel Builder?
    By Fam Money in forum Pennsylvania
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.