Evo Weight Capacity - will I destroy this thing?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Evo Weight Capacity - will I destroy this thing?

Howdy.

I'm very interested in the Goblin Evo, but concerned that my weight will overload the bike.

I'm 6'4" 255 pounds.

Is that pushing it? Do I need to look for a more sturdy bike? What is a more sturdy bike? Kona Hoss kept coming up in Google searches but it is no longer in production.

I don't ride extremely aggressively, but I don't want to worry constantly about babying the bike, either.

Thanks for any words of wisdom!

mtbr member
    My *personal* opinion is that you'd be fine in regards to the frame. It's very robust. At your weight the main concern will be with the wheels, and that's true for most bikes. The Chargers are a fairly robust wheelset so they should be OK, but just know that you will be putting more stress on them than a feather-weight person and therefor may fatigue the spokes sooner.

I'd recommend to learn to ride "light" and use proper technique and you should be OK. I'm not a feather-weight either and rarely have wheel issues, but I pick good lines and ride "light". I know other people who are feather-weights that break all sorts of gear........so it's not always weight dependant.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    I'm 6'2" and pushing 290 or so fully geared up. Last year was my first on the Evo and it took everything I threw at it without complaint. Wheels are perfectly true. I do get the occasional creaking coming from the crank but I suspect it just needs some grease.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Evo Weight Capacity - will I destroy this thing?

I have a Goblin EVO and I'm 6'3", 275. No problems. It's a great bike so far.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    245 on the large EVO. No problems, no flex, no strange noises. Wheels are in good shape and true. The bike is beefy the frame has large tubing and clean welds. I've crashes a few times with no dents and nothing bent. No worries!

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Thank you all very much for the great input. I appreciate it. I'll probably be placing an order very soon!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am 6'4" and 245 lbs. My first year on a mtb, although I have raced motox before, so used to two wheel off roading. Anyway, I bought a Seeker, which is not as stout as the EVO, and it held up fine, no issues with the frame. A couple of real minor things such as truing a front wheel after a pounding in a rock garden, and once my quick release front axle loosened up and the wheel cocked to one side. Just had to tighten up the QR and it was fine. The EVO is even more heavy duty, so don't worry.