EVO RockShox Revelation RL Questions- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here. EVO RockShox Revelation RL Questions

My last bike was a Specialized Hardrock and the fork was some suntour thing that had one adjustment: locked or not locked. I got my EVO and am curious about all the adjustments available on the fork. The "user manual" that came with it is completely worthless, it has instructions for installing the fork but nothing about what the various knobs do, what the recommended sag is, etc. All the mtb magazines talk about recommend sag (and there's a gage on the fork), but where do I get this information? I went to the rockshox web site but all they have is PDF files with the same crappy user manual.

So, questions:

What should the sag be?
    How do I set it?
    What does the dial on the right side do? Seems to make it softer/harder or full(ish) lockout. Anything more to it?
    I see the air filler. I did buy a pump for this but I don't know what the pressure should be or if there's anything special needed when filling it.
    At the bottom of the right leg, there's a knob hanging down. It turns. I moved it a click and then moved it back. What does it do?

Does anyone have access to a manual that explains all of this? I'd feel less like a moron if I could read a manual before asking questions

Thanks in advance!

Squ-eti
    https://www.sram.com/sites/default/f...art_2014_0.pdf

this'll get you going for the air pressures/sag. note, the sag indicator printed on the stanchion tubes may not be accurate. mine isn't. some where shipped with the indicator too low. push the orange o-ring all the way down after adding air. sit on the bike in your normal riding position, get off the bike, and measure how much the fork moved. 25-30% of total fork travel is about right for most folks.

the dial on top is compression damping. does just what you said. locks it out or makes it super squishy.

knob on bottom is rebound damping. I haven't messed with mine much because I was happy with where it was at. turning it controls how quickly (or slowly) the fork bounces back after being compressed.

hope that helps some!
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    ^ What McCartney said.

Just know that these numbers, though usually published as a standard, are simply guidelines/a good place to start. The trails, and most of all, your personal preference should take precedence over just shooting for the 25-30% mark.

Congrats on your buy! I should've went w/ the EVO but I pulled the trigger on the Seeker last year. Now I'm waiting to see if this 650b ever drops. hahah
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks, much appreciated. The sag indicator is at ~20% with nobody/nothing on the bike. I'll check the pressure and see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Unless I'm interpreting that wrong, that's static sag (not often associated w/ MTB I don't think... I come from the motorcycle world). Unless you mean once you've dismounted, it's at 20%.

The sag indicator should be around 20-30 percent w/ you fully geared and in riding position. On a 120mm travel shock, that should be around 24mm - 36mm of travel, or just shy of an inch in riding position.

Get off the bike, let the fork extend to its natural resting position and push the ring all the way down. Now increase the PSI to the recommended levels and climb into riding position. Carefully and calmly, as not to abruptly add more pressure than what's typical, dismount and check the where the ring is now and measure. Again the number you're looking for at 20% is 24mm... at 25% will be 30mm and at 30% will be 36mm.

That's a good starting point. Adjust as needed once you've taken her out on the trail.
    Do Fun Stuff

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    When I'm off the bike and the psi is at ~90 the sag indicator says ~25%. I think it's broken or painted on there wrong. I pumped it up to the PSI suggested and didn't really notice a difference. It was at 85 psi before. It seems a bit too easy to bottom out the fork so I'm going to pump it up a bit more. I'm ~165 lbs.

I'm going to measure tomorrow to see total travel. I believe it should be total travel of 120mm.

Thanks again for the help!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My fork has several sag measures painted in, it's for the different travel length options the fork can be purchased. Push the O ring to the bottom, sit on the bike, no bouncing, get off the bike, and theO ring should be about 25% up the stanchion tube. It's that easy, add or remove air as needed.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah, I get it. I think I have one of the ones with misprinted sag lines. When the fork is completely extended it's at 25% sag according to the marks. I can't pull it lower, I can't reveal the lower half of the marks, but I can see that they go lower.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    This video helped me a lot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6REkit8fs3I