Evo or Goblin?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Evo or Goblin?

  1. #1
    Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Reputation: L.t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73

    Evo or Goblin?

    Honestly, could someone please explain any major differences between the Airborne Evo and Goblin to me please? I'm an intermediate rider, looking for a bike to have some fun on trails with, and go the distance with in the Denali area of Alaska this summer. So, I've been looking at Airborne since their value is pretty good as far as I can tell, and I don't know which would be better for riding XC here in AK?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    This question is asked all the time. There is another thread here where Jerry posted a video explaining the Goblin riding style. Basically, faster, smoother and technical is the Goblin. Drops, descending and fun is Evo.

  3. #3
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    250
    RSDSav, when I think of "technical" I think of the Evo. Technical to me is climbing over large rocks, rocky and root decents, etc. Those are situations that the Evo shines in, where as the Goblin best for smooth fast trails.

    This is what I would consider technical, yes my bike is in the trail.


  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    248
    I own the regular Goblin, but I think the Goblin Evo would do XC style riding just as well as the standard Goblin. I think in the hands of an XC pro rider, he or she would clock very similar times on both bikes, but maybe I'm wrong on this. On the other hand, I do not think the regular Goblin could preform as well as the Goblin EVO in the hands of a pro. What I'm trying to say is... the Goblin EVO is a much better bike.

    The following make the Goblin EVO better: The Roxshox Revelation fork (gets great reviews), Axle sizes - (15QR front and 12 maxle rear), able to run 2.4 tires front and rear, shorter chainstays, slacker head angle, Maxxis Ardent Tires, tubeless ready rims.

    Also, you have so many more options if you ever wanted to purchase another manufactures frame or new fork with the 15QR and 12mm maxel sizes. Most of the new bikes I have been looking at are designed around these specs.

    Every time I see an Goblin EVO on here, I have buyers remorse about purchasing the regular Goblin.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    RSDSav, when I think of "technical" I think of the Evo. Technical to me is climbing over large rocks, rocky and root decents, etc. Those are situations that the Evo shines in, where as the Goblin best for smooth fast trails.

    This is what I would consider technical, yes my bike is in the trail.
    I would agree with you a little. When I think of technical I think of racing skills... picking the fastest, easiest line, being smooth, etc. When I think trail, which is what I ride now and does require a lot of technical skill, I am thinking more about bouncing around. So maybe a better way of saying it is to eliminate "technical". Goblin is the faster, smoother brother. Evo is the bouncier, descending, attitude driven brother. By the way, I love my Evo and woud recommend it in this case

  6. #6
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Here is what I think of when thinking of technical riding... it has little to do with speed or endurance, and much more about micro-control of one's bike during possibly tricky maneuvers. I'm riding a souped up hobgoblin here (longer fork, short stem, fatter tires), but an EVO would have been the better choice (it didn't exist at the time!).

    Wtih the EVO, you get a slacker head angle, which not only helps stability at high speeds, but helps handling in steeper situations. a 142 rear end (stiffer!) and I think a little bit of a shorter rear end too. Wher the Goblin is meant to excel at all things XC, the EVO is definitely more geared towards a more "aggressive" approach to riding. I think the popular term now is "trail", lol...

    <iframe src="//player.vimeo.com/video/60040576" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen allowfullscreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/60040576">Foothills Comp</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jerryhazard">J Hazard</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Nail head meet Jerry's hammer. Jerry's hammer, meet nail head. I don't know why I am all flustered this morning and not getting across what I am trying to say in other posts. Time for me to go back to bed...lol...

  8. #8
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Lol! Hey, that's just like, my opinion man.... There are so many "types" of riding under the mtb umbrella, it's hard to keep things straight, especially when so many overlap. Just remember to have fun with it!
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Lol! Hey, that's just like, my opinion man.... There are so many "types" of riding under the mtb umbrella, it's hard to keep things straight, especially when so many overlap. Just remember to have fun with it!

    Exactly Jerry! Here are the boxes everyone, including the original post needs to check off.

    Do you have a bike? ___

    Are you having fun? ___

    After that, how can you really go wrong?

  10. #10
    Crazy Alaskan MTBer
    Reputation: L.t.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73
    Let me see if I can sum up what I have seen and tag on another question,

    Goblin is better for going the distance with a focus on efficiency and speed, and the Evo is better for going the same distance, but more AGGRESSIVELY, on rougher trails, with less finesse, and taking the trail head on not sidestepping any obstacles, am I right?

    Now, when you talk about techy trails, let me as what exactly you define as techy? When I think of techy I think of places where you have to slow down more, and rather carefully choose your route ahead.

    One more question, a bonus of sorts, but it needs a little backstory:

    I am 18, on a limited budget, and am looking for a bike for the summer for riding hard, fun, and likely taking a few crashes (tough learning curve at times) in the Denali area of Alaska, near Healy Alaska, where I have a summer job. It will be mostly for trail riding (not trail as in "trail riding", trail as in on trails wherever I can find them), say, 70% on trails, although it will be my sole transport so I would like it to be capable of moving me several miles up and down the highway as well, to get to trails,as well as getting me to and fro businesses up there. I ask, instead of assuming the Goblin is better, because someone said that the Evo would do better because of it's head angle at high speeds, and I like to be speedy when riding pavement, so if I were head hard down hill or hard uphill, which is going to be a lot since it's hilly up there, which one would be better?

    That was rather rambly, so I apologize, but oh well.

    Thanks,

    Lorne

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    270
    Here is my opinion, and I have tried to understand the whole mtn bike classification vocabulary recently. Also, I own a Seeker, that I basically modified into a "ghetto" EVO. So the Goblin is optimized for xc, which means riding done a higher speeds. That means dirt roads, smoother trails, and open terrain that is relatively smooth. The rougher the riding gets from rocks and roots and whatever, the less optimized the bike will become. You can still ride rough trails, but not as fast or a confidently.

    The EVO is more optimized for rougher trails which will be ridden at slight slower speeds, and will require a lot of bike maneuvering to ride them. Rocks and other obstacles will be easier to handle at higher speeds with the EVO.

    From my POV, a trail has all kinds of challenges, so the EVO is the better choice. About the only time I would choose the Goblin is if I wanted to race XC or if I rode on the road a lot. The Goblin is the better choice for street riding. If 100% street, then you would want a road bike, but for some road and a lot of dirt, then the Goblin would be ideal.

    The EVO has fatter tires for more suspension cushion, a shorter chain stay so you can lift the front wheel a lot easier, wider bars and shorter stem for better control in rough trails, heavier duty frame for jumps and impacts, and a slacker head angle for going faster downhill in rough trails with less twitchy handling.

    For Alaska, I would advise to buy the EVO. The only negative is the fatter, knobbier tires will not ride as well on the road, but if you are going 10 mile or less, no problem.

    The head angle is only important on dirt trails, it won't make any difference on the road. If you want a faster, easier pedaling bike on the road, the Goblin is the choice. If you want a better dirt bike that will be fine for the road, then the EVO is the choice. Change the tires on the EVO and they are pretty equal on the road, change the tires on the Goblin, and the EVO is still better on the trail.

    My seeker is similar to a Goblin. I road it around Block Island, RI for a week on dirt roads and the street and loved it. I road it at home on my local trails and started changing stems, bars, tires and made it similar to the EVO. I now love it on trails. The only negative for the street is the knobby tires. The EVO didn't exist at the time I bought it, otherwise I would have gone EVO.

  12. #12
    eff
    eff is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: eff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    250

    Evo or Goblin?

    Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post
    Here is my opinion, and I have tried to understand the whole mtn bike classification vocabulary recently. Also, I own a Seeker, that I basically modified into a "ghetto" EVO. So the Goblin is optimized for xc, which means riding done a higher speeds. That means dirt roads, smoother trails, and open terrain that is relatively smooth. The rougher the riding gets from rocks and roots and whatever, the less optimized the bike will become. You can still ride rough trails, but not as fast or a confidently.

    The EVO is more optimized for rougher trails which will be ridden at slight slower speeds, and will require a lot of bike maneuvering to ride them. Rocks and other obstacles will be easier to handle at higher speeds with the EVO.

    From my POV, a trail has all kinds of challenges, so the EVO is the better choice. About the only time I would choose the Goblin is if I wanted to race XC or if I rode on the road a lot. The Goblin is the better choice for street riding. If 100% street, then you would want a road bike, but for some road and a lot of dirt, then the Goblin would be ideal.

    The EVO has fatter tires for more suspension cushion, a shorter chain stay so you can lift the front wheel a lot easier, wider bars and shorter stem for better control in rough trails, heavier duty frame for jumps and impacts, and a slacker head angle for going faster downhill in rough trails with less twitchy handling.

    For Alaska, I would advise to buy the EVO. The only negative is the fatter, knobbier tires will not ride as well on the road, but if you are going 10 mile or less, no problem.

    The head angle is only important on dirt trails, it won't make any difference on the road. If you want a faster, easier pedaling bike on the road, the Goblin is the choice. If you want a better dirt bike that will be fine for the road, then the EVO is the choice. Change the tires on the EVO and they are pretty equal on the road, change the tires on the Goblin, and the EVO is still better on the trail.

    My seeker is similar to a Goblin. I road it around Block Island, RI for a week on dirt roads and the street and loved it. I road it at home on my local trails and started changing stems, bars, tires and made it similar to the EVO. I now love it on trails. The only negative for the street is the knobby tires. The EVO didn't exist at the time I bought it, otherwise I would have gone EVO.
    Well said. I think this is a perfect response to you question.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Quote Originally Posted by L.t. View Post
    Let me see if I can sum up what I have seen and tag on another question,

    Goblin is better for going the distance with a focus on efficiency and speed, and the Evo is better for going the same distance, but more AGGRESSIVELY, on rougher trails, with less finesse, and taking the trail head on not sidestepping any obstacles, am I right?

    Now, when you talk about techy trails, let me as what exactly you define as techy? When I think of techy I think of places where you have to slow down more, and rather carefully choose your route ahead.

    One more question, a bonus of sorts, but it needs a little backstory:

    I am 18, on a limited budget, and am looking for a bike for the summer for riding hard, fun, and likely taking a few crashes (tough learning curve at times) in the Denali area of Alaska, near Healy Alaska, where I have a summer job. It will be mostly for trail riding (not trail as in "trail riding", trail as in on trails wherever I can find them), say, 70% on trails, although it will be my sole transport so I would like it to be capable of moving me several miles up and down the highway as well, to get to trails,as well as getting me to and fro businesses up there. I ask, instead of assuming the Goblin is better, because someone said that the Evo would do better because of it's head angle at high speeds, and I like to be speedy when riding pavement, so if I were head hard down hill or hard uphill, which is going to be a lot since it's hilly up there, which one would be better?

    That was rather rambly, so I apologize, but oh well.

    Thanks,

    Lorne
    For a loose description of "techy", see the video posted above. You seem to be on the right track though, I would think the EVO would fit you're needs just right. The tires for street are not that bad, unless you're doing 20 miles of commuting a day..
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2
    (new member 1/28/15) Good info here, thank you. I've been in a long debate between evo or goblin for trail and XC in mostly northern IN and trips. Any other tips for making the EVO a better xc bike besides skinner tires? On a budget but want to be competitive in sport/cat2 class. Or hold off until the goblin carbon 29 is released in the spring (saw pics of the prototype on their instagram account? Any advice helps. Thank you

  15. #15
    CoolArrow
    Reputation: jhazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    2,468
    Welcome to club!

    IMO, the base bike should match what you're going to spend the majority (more than say, 60%) of your time riding. If you're primary "goal" is going to be riding/racing XC, then why not opt for the Goblin? You'll be much happier with the results since that's the area you'll be pushing yourself hardest in. You can always add a set of wider tires and bars for times when you're just tooling on the trail or skill building.

    I think it says a lot about your riding intentions, if down the road you are thinking Carbon XC bike, and not a 5" Enduro/AM bike. My 2 cents anyhow, good luck!
    Cool BandolArrow

    Jerry Hazard website

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    285
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    Welcome to club!

    IMO, the base bike should match what you're going to spend the majority (more than say, 60%) of your time riding. If you're primary "goal" is going to be riding/racing XC, then why not opt for the Goblin? You'll be much happier with the results since that's the area you'll be pushing yourself hardest in. You can always add a set of wider tires and bars for times when you're just tooling on the trail or skill building.

    I think it says a lot about your riding intentions, if down the road you are thinking Carbon XC bike, and not a 5" Enduro/AM bike. My 2 cents anyhow, good luck!
    I echo the same as Jerry. Sounds like XC is where you really want to be most of the time so I would pick the Goblin. Great bike that can be run with even just different tires for having that little extra fun. You would also not have the excuse on race day

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    291
    Just some info. on the goblin, i have no input on the evo....

    By no means do i have any better info. than the above answers but i do have one angle that hasnt been hit on yet... That being, i too consider myself an intermediate rider and have put over 1000 miles on my goblin 1.0... The ONLY time i have ever felt like my bikes capability wasnt far superior to my riding abilities was when i was riding down pikes peak and i wished the head angle was more slack on the steeper parts..... Other than that, it has been phenomenal for me (this includes a just about every type of riding with the exception of downhill...)

    It has survived a handful of crashes and the worst that happened was i got my derailleur hanger out of whack somewhere along the line...

    Now keep in mind, im 41 and have no desire to go to the hospital so what you consider technical and what i consider technical may be two completely different stories...

    Hope this helps
    I think I can, I think I can, I think I can.. Oh SH*T!!!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    248
    Everyone has given you some really good responses to think about.

    But there is no way I would buy a Goblin over a Goblin EVO now that they are $80 difference in price. It's just to much of an upgrade in components on the EVO to not pay the extra $80.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    2
    (But there is no way I would buy a Goblin over a Goblin EVO now that they are $80 difference in price. It's just to much of an upgrade in components on the EVO to not pay the extra $80.)

    TMO8853, you read my mind. Adding up components cost on ebay: tubeless ready, x7&x9, fork and etc. Cant beat the price. It was alittle different when they were $400 apart but with $80 difference its a tough choice between the two.
    Thanks for all the info everybody

Similar Threads

  1. Legacy Goblin v New Goblin
    By toddre in forum Airborne
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-02-2014, 01:57 PM
  2. Help..goblin evo
    By dudesok in forum Airborne
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-25-2014, 08:51 PM
  3. goblin vs goblin evolution
    By 1maddog1 in forum Airborne
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-27-2014, 07:20 AM
  4. Goblin XO
    By drjay9051 in forum Airborne
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-16-2012, 07:39 AM

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.