EVO, first ride impression- Mtbr.com
    Squ-eti

EVO, first ride impression

Got out on my first "real" ride on the EVO. These are my thoughts.

If I had to describe the EVO in one word it would be stable. No matter the situation the EVO practically begs you to go faster because it never feels twitchy. That said, the steering is....different from any bike I've ever ridden. It's sorta like a high performance beach cruiser, haha. If I try to lean it over in to turns like I'm used to the front end seems to want to...wallow...then flop. The sensation is most noticeable on the road which is a waste of this bike's talents anyways, but still. I'm gonna have to relearn how to turn with this beast I think.

Other things. I went tubeless yesterday, and I started out with 20 psi front and 25 psi rear (adjusted in the 60 degree basement). I don't really know what the tire pressure was once I got out of doors, but I know it was leaving one heck of a footprint, and was super sure footed even up and down solid ice trails pockmarked with frozen footsteps. Riding over smaller bumps/roots or hopping off of curbs had a "floating" sensation. Everything gets eaten up by the squishy big volume of the Ardents.

As for climbing, it seems to like it. The 16" frame has that ridiculously tight rear triangle (seriously, how does that giant wheel fit in there?) that's gotta be good for stiffness when you put the metal to the pedal.

That's all I got for now. Can't wait til the snow melts and the trails dry up a little in the mountains to see how it handles the rocks and downhills.

EVO, first ride impression-11051831_10206334017097717_1449490180306885929_n.jpg
    EVO, first ride impression-11017064_10206334017457726_6885669478985257844_n.jpg
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great to see you like your new ride! Welcome to the family!

eff
    mtbr member
    We have about 2 feet of snow on the ground and I'm itching to get out. Glad you are able to get out and ride yours!!

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by RSDSav View Post
    Great to see you like your new ride! Welcome to the family!
    Thanks!

I've been thinking about the odd sensations I was experiencing when turning at speeds. I think it may have had as much to do with the increased gyroscopic effect of the 29" wheels/big rubber as the slack geometry of the EVO. This is my first 29er coming from 26" wheels for 20+ years so I'm still learning the ways of the wagon wheels.

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by eff View Post
    We have about 2 feet of snow on the ground and I'm itching to get out. Glad you are able to get out and ride yours!!
    We're getting slammed with snow again here too. Not close to 2 feet, but enough to keep me indoors. Next week looks better...

mtbr member
    Jun 2013

EVO, first ride impression

Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    Thanks!

I've been thinking about the odd sensations I was experiencing when turning at speeds. I think it may have had as much to do with the increased gyroscopic effect of the 29" wheels/big rubber as the slack geometry of the EVO. This is my first 29er coming from 26" wheels for 20+ years so I'm still learning the ways of the wagon wheels.
    Is turning all that different? I'm looking at an Evo, coming from a 26 and that's my only reason for not ordering already.
    I want something I can toss around and maneuver easily, but I don't want a goblin or seeker because I want the modern geo...and airborne is the best bang...I'd have to spend 2k+ to get the equivalent of an evo with any other brand. (but then I'd get my 27.5 flickability back)

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    For a 29er I really think it maneuvers great. As good as my old 26ers? No. Better that the Trek Superflys I was riding for a few year? Hell Yeah! Better than GT, Fuji, Specialized, Felt...? Yeah! I have had a few 29ers and this is the best. Just an FYI they are doing a 650B dually coming out end of April/ early May. The Evo stays are very short and does ride well. Just depends on what you want to compare it to and what you are looking for in your new ride. There are many of us Evo owners that love our bikes!

Squ-eti
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitr0 View Post
    Is turning all that different? I'm looking at an Evo, coming from a 26 and that's my only reason for not ordering already.
    I want something I can toss around and maneuver easily, but I don't want a goblin or seeker because I want the modern geo...and airborne is the best bang...I'd have to spend 2k+ to get the equivalent of an evo with any other brand. (but then I'd get my 27.5 flickability back)

Thoughts?
    I would take my limited experiences with the EVO in limited environments with a grain of salt. Sure, it rides different than a 26". That's the point of a 29er, and the reason I converted. Yeah, coming from years of 26ers the steering feels a little sluggish, but I think it's more perception than reality. With more time in the saddle I'm betting it will become a non-issue.

Overall, as you mentioned, the EVO is an awesome deal. I can't wait for the weather to break so I can really put it through its paces.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Think I might have to just jump the gun and order it. I did hear you can toss the bike around a lot more than other 29ers. I think it will be difficult on our tight urban switchback trails. I do see other ppl on them though so can't be that bad.
    I know about the 650B but I think that will be too much for our tails here, doesn't it have like a 150mm suspension?

Squ-eti
    I recently moved from a place with lots of tight,flowy, mostly smooth trails to a place with mountainous, more wide open, very rugged and rocky trails. My 26" bikes handled where I used to live just fine. Not so great with the rocky rough stuff though. I choose the EVO because I thought it would be less of a burden going up than a full suspension, have better roll over ability than a 26"(or 27.5), and be able to withstand the beating that my new local trails seem willing to dish out.

why I went with the EVO...not me in the video...can't wait til the 2' of snow is gone to ride these trails!!!

http://youtu.be/UVW8uDUpYFE?list=FLl...yQiE7FavtXUkLA

http://youtu.be/tQmAiuRO9Go
    Last edited by mccartney7499; 03-05-2015 at 06:32 PM.

eff
    mtbr member
    Those look like some cool trails.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yeah the 29er feels a little different. I learned on a 26 and when I moved to my Scott Scale I had to relearn how to effectively get through some of the tighter areas and switchbacks, but with time it was second nature. With that being said though, the EVO is easier to toss around than the Scale. It is the easiest 29er I have ridden and the most fun. The geometry of the EVO makes it more fun so I don't think you will regret the purchase if you make it