Do they make a bashguard for the Goblin?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Do they make a bashguard for the Goblin?

I just read a thread in the Apparel and Protection section, the said thread is "Recommend lower leg protection after this". I warn you, the picture in that thread of the dudes leg is wicked nasty, like NSFW or better yet Not Safe For Life! I'd post the link but my thread would be flagged as spam until a mod reviews it.

My question is, do they make a bashguard for the Goblin?

Shifters
    SRAM X-7 2x10

Front Derailleur
    SRAM X-7 2x10

Rear Derailleur
    SRAM X-7 2x10 Mid-Cage

Crank
    SRAM X-7 2x10, 38/24 rings

Cassette
    SRAM PG-1050 11-36T 10-Speed

Chain
    SRAM Powerchain 1051

Bottom Bracket
    SRAM XR GXP Sealed BB

I did a google search but I don't think I'm typing in the correct info in the search for a bashguard.

mtbr member
    Posted in another thread further down the board, but it should get you in the correct direction.

Quote Originally Posted by T-Rob View Post
    I was looking around earlier and found these aluminum ones from BBG. They sell the Guard and the spacer separately but it looks like what we might need. They have all different teeth count and such. It says on their homepage that the regular style have a lifetime warranty if it bends or breaks, excluding their super light ones.

104 36 | bbgbashguard

104 BCD spacer ring | bbgbashguard

mtbr member
    My Goblin has a 38/24 ring, so I order the 38t bashguard and spacer correct?

Do I need the spacer ring?

Products | bbgbashguard

104 BCD spacer ring | bbgbashguard

mtbr member
    Correct! The spacer ring is needed to keep the chain from rubbing up against the guard, unless you are dropping the 38T all together.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    Correct! The spacer ring is needed to keep the chain from rubbing up against the guard, unless you are dropping the 38T all together.

Thanks again!

Ordered it just now, it came out to $36 bucks total for the bashguard,spacer,and shipping.

I think $36 bucks is worth it not to have my leg or calf look like that dudes I saw in that thread, I'm still trying to erase the image......the horror.....the horror....

mtbr member
    I'm getting ready to install my bashguard on my bike, and I have been looking at some YouTube vids on how to do it, it seems those vids are replacing a ring and adding a bashguard in its place. That's not what I want to do, I just want to add a bashguard so I don't mess up my ring or grind the side of my leg with the teeth rings.

Can I just add the bashguard spacer and bashguard without removing or replacing any rings? I thought all I was going to have to do was take out the hex bolts, add the spacer, then the bashguard, and replace and tighten the hex bolts.

Am I going to have to adjust anything after I add my bashguard, like the gear shifter?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by StinkBait View Post
    I'm getting ready to install my bashguard on my bike, and I have been looking at some YouTube vids on how to do it, it seems those vids are replacing a ring and adding a bashguard in its place. That's not what I want to do, I just want to add a bashguard so I don't mess up my ring or grind the side of my leg with the teeth rings.

Can I just add the bashguard spacer and bashguard without removing or replacing any rings? I thought all I was going to have to do was take out the hex bolts, add the spacer, then the bashguard, and replace and tighten the hex bolts.

Am I going to have to adjust anything after I add my bashguard, like the gear shifter?

Bump? Anyone? :'(

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Not to be a smart a$$ but, are you able to fit the bashguard on without removing the crank? Does the bashguard change the chain line? If the answers are yes and no respectively, the it should be as straightforward as you think.

I haven't installed one but I'd think it should go like this if the bashguard fits over the crank: Drop chain to small ring or remove coompletely, remove big ring bolts, fit bashguard and spacer, tighten everything up, reinstall chain, go ride.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    Not to be a smart a$$ but, are you able to fit the bashguard on without removing the crank? Does the bashguard change the chain line? If the answers are yes and no respectively, the it should be as straightforward as you think.

I haven't installed one but I'd think it should go like this if the bashguard fits over the crank: Drop chain to small ring or remove coompletely, remove big ring bolts, fit bashguard and spacer, tighten everything up, reinstall chain, go ride.
    I forgot I bumped my thread, I'm brain dead most days,lol!

You have a point, one way to find out if it's going to work and that's going to be taking it apart and trying, going to do this tomorrow after work.

Thanks Jerz-subbie!