Completely replacing EVO brakes - options?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

New question here. Completely replacing EVO brakes - options?

I don't have a lot of experience working on bikes, just to get that out of the way ahead of time. I bought my EVO because I thought it would be great, and it is, but my only complaint is the brakes. I feel like I'm being chased by a flock of wild turkeys. They're constantly making noise; chattering, gobbling, squeaking, howling, etc. I've tried different pads, I've tried sanding the pads, I've tried sanding the rotors, etc. I've tried cleaning them with everything suggested (and nothing not suggested!). I've adjusted them according to the instructions, I've followed the instructions in my mountain bike maintenance book and by following videos on youtube. I can get them to be silent for a ride, but if the bike sits for 2 weeks it happens again and I have to repeat the steps prior to each ride, it's a real pain. My previous bike with mechanical disc brakes (specialized bike, can't remember the brakes) never did this. (The bike sits in a climate/humidity controlled garage so it's not like it's rusting!)

What are my options for replacing the entire braking system with something new that will be better? And by better I mean at least as much stopping power but no noise.

I'm guessing I need new levers, hoses, calipers, pads, and rotors. Plus whatever fluid and a bleeding kit. I've done cars so hopefully it's not more complicated than that. Any recommendations for a quality kit that doesn't break the bank?

eff
    mtbr member
    I'm surprised, mine make no noise at all. I know this didn't help you out
    But I think you experience is the exception. Have you contacted Hayse?

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yep, they sent me a brand new set of pads made out of different material and they started making the same noises after a few rides

eff
    mtbr member
    Odd. Good luck sorting it out.

mtbr member
    I haven't had much luck with Hayes myself, perhaps a bleed would help? You could also try a piece of tape between the pad and piston, that might help stop some of the vibration, I did this when I was back on Avids, which did help when they were overly noisy. Also check to make sure the rotor screws are tight, plus the mounting bolts for the caliper are tight on the frame.

I am seeing a lot of nice brakesets on PinkBike for 150-200 dollars, Guides, Formula, and lightly used XX brakesets and so on. As far as preference, I use Guides on the Griffin, Formula on the Goblin, and SLX's on the Plague - if I were to pick a set, the Guides are my favorite with the best modulation of the three, but all three perform like I expect a set of brakes should. I also picked up a universal bleed kit and learned to bleed brakes - that alone was a huge gain in performance across all three sets as well. The Hayes are hanging on the wall for a bleed next, I am curious to see if I can get them to perform any better, I wasn't impressed with them one bit on my Griffin, and was the first thing to get upgraded.

Hope that helps some!

eff
    mtbr member
    Have you cleaned the rotors with brake cleaner and scuffed the pads with some fine sandpaper and tried to see if that helps??

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    s0ul_chicken - Thanks, do you have links to new components anywhere that would be a direct fit? Searching for things like "SLX brakes" results in hundreds of results in all different shapes and sizes and I don't know exactly what I need. I have ensured all the mounting bolts are tight.

eff- yeah; I have cleaned, sanded, and re-cleaned the rotors (alcohol since I was told not to use car brake cleaner on bike brakes) and sanded the pads (both sets) multiple times. It works, but after a couple of rides the brakes are back to being noisy and annoying. Having to do this causes me to ride less so I'm trying to get rid of the annoyances so I spend more time on the bike instead of messing with it.

I'm not sure whether climate has anything to do with it but it's rare for me to go out when it's not soupy. I live in the PNW where it rains a lot anyway and we've had a particularly rainy year (wettest October on record). I do keep the bike in an insulated and humidity controlled garage so it's not like it's getting rusty but it does get wet and muddy on rides.

mtbr member
    I would be happy to help - what size frame do you have and what is your budget?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Thanks! It's the 18" (old, blue one) Goblin EVO. Budget, I don't know what to expect. My main criteria is just that the brakes perform as well as the stock ones but don't make noise like the stock ones. How much do I need to spend? I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think I need top of the line but I don't want anything that's going to be a headache either. I don't care much about weight or looks, either. $300?

eff
    mtbr member
    $230 to replace with the same brake. Have you made sure the rotors are tightened down? Maybe a new rotor? That made me think, can you hear the noise from the and the rear?

mtbr member
    OK Saber, I will come up with some links for you today so you have some options to mull over. I will be in touch, sir!

mtbr member
    Before you do purchase, be sure to measure your hose lengths - I am guessing lengths based on my 18" XC Goblin. I just scratched the surface, I am sure if you are patient enough you can find a good deal.

For the money - PinkBike is the way to go. Here is a new front and rear Guide RS brakeset with rotors for $200, but no length of hose is mentioned, but worth a look into.

The Ebay route:
    Shimano SLX M675's in the correct length for your bike on Ebay. $120

If you have a bigger budget, Shimano's XT M8000's are running at about $190 on Ebay as well.

I was going to do more digging this afternoon, but time has not been on my side today, writing this much has taken three hours. Over the next couple of days I will look for more options for you, but hopefully this gets you started.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I appreciate your time! I didn't realize it was this involved of a question

Please forgive my ignorance. It seems like you are steering me towards sellers that are selling brakes off their bikes as opposed to like an online bike store that is selling stuff new in a box. I'm guessing that is because of the price. I feel really uncomfortable with these types of deals because I've bought stuff like that (not bike stuff, but like car parts or computer equipment) and been burned because they weren't in the condition that was described.

Is $300 for "new in box from an actual bike store" or something unattainable? Am I going to have to pay something like $600 for a decent set of brakes? (that's about half the price I paid for the entire bike!)

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    As he mentioned, buying new take offs or lightly used from Pinkbike or eBay saves you a few bucks for sure, but both the SLX and XT M8000 links are for brand new.

If you'd prefer to buy from a vendor's site vs eBay...

XT M8000 $180/set
    Shimano XT M8000 Disc Brake > Components > Brakes > Mountain Disc Brakes | Jenson USA

Guide RS $210/set
    http://www.cambriabike.com/prod12014...rixoption=2856

SLX M7000 (cheaper than the previous gen M675) $150/set
    Shimano SLX M7000 Disc Brake | Chain Reaction Cycles
    They also have bundles to get new rotors as well. CRC ships from Ireland so it takes a few extra days, but I like them.

Personally, I really like Shimano brakes, SLX or XT for me.

mtbr member
    I suggested PinkBike due to cost savings on new or newer components, take offs from new bikes. The Plague I built up has a lot of parts from PinkBike, the Griffin has some, too, everything I bought from other have been on the up and up, and I am very pleased with the results. YMMV, of course when dealing with the general public.

Have you narrowed down your choice yet? Lots of great brakes for the price that Jerz brought up, too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm leaning towards the shimano just because I've heard good things about them and although the guides have good reviews it seems like the previous generations of that company's brakes weren't as great. I'd rather buy something with a proven track record. Leaning towards SLX but I want to find a reputable place that will sell them with everything I need (including rotors). Is the mounting for the calipers and rotors all standard?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by saberworks View Post
    I'm leaning towards the shimano just because I've heard good things about them and although the guides have good reviews it seems like the previous generations of that company's brakes weren't as great. I'd rather buy something with a proven track record. Leaning towards SLX but I want to find a reputable place that will sell them with everything I need (including rotors). Is the mounting for the calipers and rotors all standard?
    Yep, the mounting will be the same, should be very straight-forward and easy to replace and mount up. You can't go wrong with SLX's, I have had fantastic results with my set, no issues in the years I have had them installed on two different bikes. If there were a caveat, is the SLX's are a bit tougher to bleed since there is no bleed port, just a cap.