broke chain 3 times in one week- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2014

broke chain 3 times in one week

I switched to a 1x10 set up this past weekend and I shortens the chain so derailleur was at 45 degrees on largest cog. I bought a park multi tool that had a removable Chain brake tool. It doesn't have the tight link removal option so I was kinda bummed. Anyways, I have been trying to remove the stiff links by hand. I've never had a chain brake until using this tool, so I have to assume it's me or the tool. I noticed when I push out the rivet there is a small circle of metal like it broke the lip of the rivet. Can a stiff link cause the chain to brake? Every time it's broken it has been while in a smaller rear cassette so I don't think it's a length issue. Is a chain weaker after using the tool? I've watched a few vids on using the tool and feel I have the process down now. Any input would be great. I gotta buy a new chain now, but now I don't have any confidence in my chain for long rides.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    You can't reuse the pins you push out. Its the lip of the rivet that holds it in. Use a sram powerlink to fix the broken chain.

Btw: break, not brake

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Didn't push pins out. Only pushed them out enough to get chain back together. That's the way every video from YouTube to pinkbike shows people doing them. Your suggesting I run two master links? I've always thought that was bad.

thanks for the spelling lesson.

CoolArrow
    If you've broken the same chain multiple times, using the same tool, I'd fathom a guess it's combination of the two - you and the tool.

Get a different chain tool. There should be no "leftover" pieces (metal circles) when you break or rejoin a chain.

As suggested, a magic link is a viable option, but not necessarily ideal for multiple breaks. I've been on rides where a person had similar chain woes, and ended up with 4 magic links on one chain (long story). The magic links were the parts not breaking....
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Oh the multiple reasons a chain can break after taking it apart. First off, Shimano chain pins are not designed to be reused. That's why they give you a new one with a new chain. I like to use sram or kmc missing links. Using pins, new or old, there is so much to be aware of and I generally want to get out and ride. Making sure the pin is properly pushed in evenly, the link isn't stiff, etc. I would recommend picking up a couple missing links. Oh and like Jerry said, only one per chain unless it's an emergency situation.

mtbr member
    Definitely pick up a dedicated chain tool. Most chain tools that are on a multi-tool are really there for emergency situations and lack the quality/function of a dedicated one. If you would have had one with the stop/shelf for loosening tight links the chance of pushing a pin in/out too far like you did would be greatly diminished.

I have several of the CT-5 Chain Tools and they've been great.

Park Tool Co. CT-5 : Mini Chain Brute Chain Tool : Chain

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    broke chain 3 times in one week-2015-01-21-06.29.03.jpg

Here's the one I'm using. It's a park multi tool, where the chain break comes out. I thought it would be sufficient, but then later I realized it didn't have the tight link removal option.

If you look at the pic, you can see where it is removing a thin metal shaving from the rivet. It did the exact same thing all three times I used it. I'm going back to the LBS today to pick up a new chain, the Parktool CT-5 chain tool and have the mechanic take a look at the shavings left on the tool.

I'll do my best to get the length correct the first time with this new chain so that I will only have to use the supplied quick link and not worry about pressing any pins back in.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Jeremy - Hope you are enjoying the new job.