Bi-lateral wrist fractures- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bi-lateral wrist fractures

Well, it finally happened, double radial wrist fractures from trying to catch myself from going into a dead pinion tree. It happened off a 3' drop, bad landing into soft sand which stopped the bike, but I kept going and caught the tree with my face instead. 5 stitches there on the chin after I pulled the stick out, plenty of blood on my beloved, now torn, Airborne jersey. I think that part pained me the most... I knew I broke my left arm the moment I landed, my right arm hurt, but no-where near as as bad as my left. After I got the stick out, I sat there for a few moments to try and stop the bleeding from my chin while I contemplated how much trouble I was in for from the Mrs.. I could only imagine how pissed she was going to be when she got the news that I was headed to the ER. She met me there, thankfully she wasn't that upset, glad I was ok, so we just made a day of it at the hospital.

It looks like I will be out of commission for a few months with x-rays every 2 weeks to ensure the bones set correctly. I am thankful for Aflac, looks like that check is going to buy another Airborne Griffin next week for the wife! I guess there are worse problems to have, right?

Bi-lateral wrist fractures-1725263011416021705.jpg

Pinehurst NC
    Damn! Thats a solid crash Were you out with a group? How far out were you from the trailhead?
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Oh wow! Speedy recovery hope for the best!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    Damn! Thats a solid crash Were you out with a group? How far out were you from the trailhead?
    Thankfully, I was with a riding buddy when it happened, I think he was more freaked out than I was. We were only about a mile out from the trailhead, so I sent him back for my tuck while I gathered my senses. I picked up my bike and gear and walked about a quarter mile to a dirt road where he literally drove right by me. I am not sure how he missed me, but thankfully he turned around a few minutes later. I was actually recording our session, it was the 8th time that day I took the drop, it just happened to be a freak accident. I was filming back behind the Plague, and the bike landed just right to where you can see me just after I land - it is hard for me to watch the video, but at the same time I cannot bring myself to delete it...

Quote Originally Posted by drivera View Post
    Oh wow! Speedy recovery hope for the best!
    Thanks man, I appreciate it!

Pinehurst NC
    No vid??? Boo.... sorry
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Loud hubs save lives!"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Don't Surf View Post
    No vid??? Boo.... sorry
    I started editing today... stay tuned...

mtbr member
    Ok, video is ready, nothing fancy, just 7.5 minutes long, with all the fun stuff at the beginning. I posted "Suspension Check" which I shot 20 minutes before the wreck, so it wasn't like I had never ridden that section of trail before.

The video is upside down, but you will quickly see why I didn't change that. I cut the video when I grabbed my gear, which was excruciating to do not realizing my right arm was broken as well. Lots of cussing directed toward myself, so check your volume settings.

mtbr member
    Casts are finally off!!! I am now headed to my first PT appointment to get wrenched on. I am going through serious MTB withdrawal symptoms here...

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    hope a speedy recovery!