Anyone tried replacing their 29 wheels with 27.5 or 27.5+?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    28

    Anyone tried replacing their 29 wheels with 27.5 or 27.5+?

    Just wandering if anyone has attempted or even looked into the possibility of replacing their 29er wheelset with a 27.5 or even 27.5+ wheelset. I know there is a thread on 29er frame compatability with 27.5+ and I wondered if anyone with an Airborne had tried it.

  2. #2
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    I was toying with the idea of a 27.5+ wheelset for my EVO (which I still think would be awesome if it worked). Then I looked at the price and availability of wheelsets and tires. Decided to get a cheap fat bike instead! Can never have too many bikes...just wish Airborne had a fat bike option.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  3. #3
    Here, diagonally!
    Reputation: JACKL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    2,078
    There isn't any reason you can't, but understand your bottom bracket is going to drop significantly. You may or may not like that, but if it is already on the low side it's not likely to work out well for you. Also, the rear chainstay won't change, and IMO the shorter chainstay is a key benefit of 27.5.

    Plenty of discussions on this site about 27.5+ or B+.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation: s0ul_chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,767
    It is actually quite the strange feeling - I was working on my buddy's KHS 27.5 and decided to put just the rear wheel on my bike and take it for a short cruise. 9er7.5! First thing I noticed was how slack the bike becomes in the front - it almost felt like I was riding a chopper. I never did take it to the trail, but I did do some gravel riding instead and found it much easier to wheelie the front end. I really think it would be a fun way to ride.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by s0ul_chicken View Post
    It is actually quite the strange feeling - I was working on my buddy's KHS 27.5 and decided to put just the rear wheel on my bike and take it for a short cruise. 9er7.5! First thing I noticed was how slack the bike becomes in the front - it almost felt like I was riding a chopper. I never did take it to the trail, but I did do some gravel riding instead and found it much easier to wheelie the front end. I really think it would be a fun way to ride.
    I suspect it wouldn't feel as different if you had put 27.5" wheels on front and rear. The geometry change of running a smaller tire in the rear than the front (if front and rear are supposed to be the same size) will make anything (most of my experience is in dirt and street bikes) steer more slowly, because it effectively increases your rake and trail (or whatever it's called on bicycles).

    Mike

  6. #6
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    anyone out there tried this with the Goblin EVO yet?

    my charger comp rear wheel looks like it may be near it's end. has been slipping and making a "popping" sound while pedaling. took the freehub off last night and found the pawls worn down/broken, pieces of metal inside the hub body, and the teeth in the hub significantly worn. cleaned and lubed it, did a short test ride and it seemed better, but probably only a matter of time. the adapter for the maxle thru axle had backed out, and there was some play in the freehub. I think that's what caused the wear and tear.

    anyways, if the charger wheel fails I was thinking it would be a great time to get a 142x12 27.5 rear wheel with some plus size tires on it, but don't wanna go that route if it's not going to fit the frame.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: watts888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    6,277
    Measure the frame for width. There is a post int he 27+ forum that lists rim/tire width combos for actual width. If it fits with clearance, sure. I don't think I'd like the bottom bracket drop though. If your hub is still in good condition, I'd just replace the bearings and the freehub.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    68
    Maybe the EVO has more height to the bottom bracket, but on my Goblin, I couldn't bear the thought of losing ground clearance.. It is low enough as it is.

  9. #9
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by mccartney7499 View Post
    anyone out there tried this with the Goblin EVO yet?

    my charger comp rear wheel looks like it may be near it's end. has been slipping and making a "popping" sound while pedaling. took the freehub off last night and found the pawls worn down/broken, pieces of metal inside the hub body, and the teeth in the hub significantly worn. cleaned and lubed it, did a short test ride and it seemed better, but probably only a matter of time. the adapter for the maxle thru axle had backed out, and there was some play in the freehub. I think that's what caused the wear and tear.

    anyways, if the charger wheel fails I was thinking it would be a great time to get a 142x12 27.5 rear wheel with some plus size tires on it, but don't wanna go that route if it's not going to fit the frame.
    well, I contacted Sun Ringle about my rear hub issues. sent an email at 6 am EST time, and got a reply back an hour later. I'll be sending my rear wheel in for repairs under warranty. So, I'll be sticking to 29" for awhile longer :-)

    Just wanted to share a good customer service story because it seems all you ever hear about are the bad experiences.
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    Good to hear!

    Besides having great products, their customer service is the reason why I started spec'ing products from the Hayes Group on the Evo with the intent on using them on future projects. I liked the fact that they took calls directly from consumers and handled them quickly, instead of insisting on going thru the shops. Glad to see they are still continuing this tradition on the new 650b+ bike, at least from the initial specs I saw....

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    374
    Bumping this up, anyone tried 27.5+ on a Goblin? I have a goblin and moved to a place with significantly more sandy/loose dirt. I think a + wet of wheels/tires might be more fun.

  12. #12
    Squ-eti
    Reputation: mccartney7499's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    265
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Good to hear!

    Besides having great products, their customer service is the reason why I started spec'ing products from the Hayes Group on the Evo with the intent on using them on future projects. I liked the fact that they took calls directly from consumers and handled them quickly, instead of insisting on going thru the shops. Glad to see they are still continuing this tradition on the new 650b+ bike, at least from the initial specs I saw....

    Jeremy
    Hayes group was great to work with. Sent my wheel in for repair, and a week later it was sitting on my porch with a new freehub, new ratchet ring, and new thru axle adapters! I think they even re-tensioned and trued the wheel. Awesome customer service!!!

    amazingly all the creaking noises I was blaming on the crank/bottom bracket also went away too :-)
    "Trails? Where we're going we don't need, trails!"


  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    374
    Going to bump this up again... has anyone tried 27.5+ wheels and tires in a Goblin?

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation: BigDaddyFlyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,836
    I would have concerns regarding tire clearance. Unless you are willing to run a rather narrow tire (which would negate IMHO the reason why you would want a 27+ set-up), it probably won't fit. The Goblin frame wasn't really designed for anything much over a 2.35 tire.

    Hope that helps,

    Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    374
    I hear where you are coming from Jeremy, and I have the same concern. But I have been reading over in the + forums and measuring my frame and I think that a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 would fit with a Velocity Blunt 35 rim. Then I could do a WTB Trailboss 3.0 on the front. I have recently moved and my new area has a lot of sand, so I am looking for a way to get better flotation without a dedicated fat bike (my wife already thinks I have about 3 too many bikes ). Anyway, if I find someone that has a wheel/tire I can try, I will report back.

    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I would have concerns regarding tire clearance. Unless you are willing to run a rather narrow tire (which would negate IMHO the reason why you would want a 27+ set-up), it probably won't fit. The Goblin frame wasn't really designed for anything much over a 2.35 tire.

    Hope that helps,

    Jeremy

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by azorr View Post
    I hear where you are coming from Jeremy, and I have the same concern. But I have been reading over in the + forums and measuring my frame and I think that a WTB Trailblazer 2.8 would fit with a Velocity Blunt 35 rim. Then I could do a WTB Trailboss 3.0 on the front. I have recently moved and my new area has a lot of sand, so I am looking for a way to get better flotation without a dedicated fat bike (my wife already thinks I have about 3 too many bikes ). Anyway, if I find someone that has a wheel/tire I can try, I will report back.
    You're not getting a 3.0 tire on the stock Reba. I have a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front on a Stans Flow EX wheel and it rubs the fork under high side loads (downhill switchbacks are the worst). Using a 27.5 will put the tire lower in the fork which means even less clearance.

    I have a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear and it is pretty close to the chain stays. The 27.5 wheel may help a little here because the stays get wider the further they go back, so the shorter wheel will put you at a wider spot.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: azorr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    374
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleykd View Post
    You're not getting a 3.0 tire on the stock Reba. I have a 2.35 Hans Dampf on the front on a Stans Flow EX wheel and it rubs the fork under high side loads (downhill switchbacks are the worst). Using a 27.5 will put the tire lower in the fork which means even less clearance.

    I have a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the rear and it is pretty close to the chain stays. The 27.5 wheel may help a little here because the stays get wider the further they go back, so the shorter wheel will put you at a wider spot.
    Yes, the 27.5+ fits because it puts the wider part of the tire into a wider part of the chain stays. it also ends up being just a little bit shorter so it stays out of the very tight part. Also I have a custom built goblin, I used the quicksilver frame, so I have a fox float instead of a Reba. Measurements look like the fork has plenty of room.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help with replacing wheels
    By Smashley506 in forum Beginner's Corner
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-20-2015, 01:51 PM
  2. REPLACING: Bontrager Race Lite 29 wheels
    By quikcolin in forum 29er Components
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-16-2014, 04:16 AM
  3. Replacing/upgrading OE wheels
    By lotusdriver in forum Wheels and Tires
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-04-2014, 04:33 AM
  4. Replacing 29er wheels - HUB problem
    By gomaximo in forum Cannondale
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 06:07 PM

Members who have read this thread: 1

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.