Anybody in Massachusetts have an Airborne? Another Evo VS. Gobling thread...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Anybody in Massachusetts have an Airborne? Another Evo VS. Gobling thread...

I'm leaning towards buying a new Airborne. Initially, I was going to get the Goblin but now I'm starting to wonder about the Evo. I'm not sure if I should get an XC or trail bike.

A little about myself. I'm 38 and in pretty good shape. I plan to ride once a week for a couple hours. I rode regularly when I was younger and was pretty good. I raced around MA and other locations nearby. But now, I'm strictly looking to be a recreational rider.

I will be riding to keep in shape for other activities I enjoy. I will be riding Trail of Tears, Falmouth (Otis), Plymouth Area and maybe a couple trips out to Freetown. I live in Bourne.

So, with that said: Evo or Goblin?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015

Anybody in Massachusetts have an Airborne? Another Evo VS. Gobling thread...

The upgraded components of the evo make it a no brainer at only $80 more. The evo only builds on the capabilities of the goblin. It doesn't really take away from it. I've had no problems piling on the miles on my evo. I don't regret getting the evo over the goblin one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I have the Goblin. When I bought mine there was a substantial gap in pricing between the Evo and Goblin, so I went with the Goblin. I'd probably have gone Evo if I had waited until now to buy as they are very close in price. That being said, I love the Goblin. I ride in Wompatuck and Blue Hills weekly (when we don't have 10 feet of snow), and its been nothing but radness.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    I have the Goblin. When I bought mine there was a substantial gap in pricing between the Evo and Goblin, so I went with the Goblin. I'd probably have gone Evo if I had waited until now to buy as they are very close in price. That being said, I love the Goblin. I ride in Wompatuck and Blue Hills weekly (when we don't have 10 feet of snow), and its been nothing but radness.
    I'm considering either the Seeker of the Hobgoblin. Leaning towards the Hobgoblin. Thoughts on whether I need a FS for Wompatuck and like kind riding around the South Shore and up north in vermont? I moved here from NY/CT a little while ago and just found out that my current ride has a cracked frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    What size are you looking for? I agree the Evo is worth the cost but unless you are a 20 or 22 they are out. Give them an email about what the have left in the models you are considering.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Not sure if you were responding to me. I talked with Eric at Airborne the other day and he said I'd probably best fit a 22'" for the Seeker or 21" for the Hobgoblin. He said they will be getting more of the Seekers and Guardians in the first week of July so I could pre-order if I want.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Backroads, I live on the North Shore and ride a Seeker. Without a doubt you should get the Evo. Unless you plan to stay on fire roads and the street, the Evo is much more fun and capable to ride in the dirt. In the woods where I ride, even the smooth trails have tons of roots and scattered rocks. The EVO can handle that so much better. I changed the bars, stem, seat, and tires on my Seeker and now I call it a Ghetto Evo. It does well now on the typical trails I ride. There used to be a big price difference between the two bikes, but now I agree the EVO is a no brainer. Airborne bikes are very high quality and you really can't go wrong with either, but the EVO is set up stock much better for trail riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by emerscape View Post
    I'm considering either the Seeker of the Hobgoblin. Leaning towards the Hobgoblin. Thoughts on whether I need a FS for Wompatuck and like kind riding around the South Shore and up north in vermont? I moved here from NY/CT a little while ago and just found out that my current ride has a cracked frame
    My opinion is go for the Hobgoblin for dirt riding. Around here there are a lot of roots and rocks on the trails and the Hob will be much more capable. It depends on your budget and what you want to ride. If more street and fire roads, bike trails the Seeker is the choice, but if you want serious trail riding, the Hob or the EVO are the better bikes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Well, I'm old-school and don't think anyone needs a FS around South Shore of MA. I've never owned anything but hard tails. That being said, it's all about what you want/need. Are you going to ride aggressively? Hit drops? I ride bikes very hard (I'm 6'2", 220 pounds) and I haven't had any issues with the Goblin (same frame as Seeker, upgraded components) around here or in ME/VT.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Max,

Do you go off jumps and hit drops with your Goblin?? Wondering if you could give more info on how hard you push the bike. This will be my second year with my Seeker and I am a little reluctant to do jumps and drops with the bike, I am about 245 lbs. I do ride slowly through some rock gardens and overall the bike has held up really well. I would say I don't ride super hard, as my skill, conditioning, stamina are improving. I did race motocross when I was younger, so mtb'ing comes pretty naturally to me. I am curious if I can start doing 2 foot drops with my Seeker. I did put 2015 Nobby Nics in 2.35 width on it and it made a huge difference in traction and bump absorption. I can carry and keep a lot more speed now through the rocks and roots we have on the North Shore. Never rode South Shore, I can believe less rocky.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bttocs View Post
    Max,

Do you go off jumps and hit drops with your Goblin?? Wondering if you could give more info on how hard you push the bike.
    I go off drops of 1-2' routinely. I'd say that the health of the bike is more dependent on your skill set. For example, I ride with a guy who is much smaller than I (maybe 150), and he routinely tacos wheels and smashes derailleurs. He kind of rides dumb. When I go off a drop, I land pretty smoothly, damping my weight and trying to land so that I spread my weight across the landing.

The South Shore (especially Blue Hills) is very rocky. A normal ride will be mostly rocky, rooty trails.

I ride into rock gardens with recklessness.

I don't hit traditional jumps often. Maybe a natural rock launcher or something, but I can't speak to that end.

Ultimately, I am not worried about the frame, but individual parts, which is the way I think it should be. Parts are replaceable.