Any Blue Goblin love- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Any Blue Goblin love

I don't see much Goblin love on this site any more. How are people liking the newer blue Goblins? I have a couple questions. I am considering a couple of Goblins for my 2 boys who have gotten into MTB racing. They are about 5'-6" and growing so they have outgrown their Marlin 5 27.5" bikes and I want to get them into a medium framed bike they can grow into over the next 4-5 years as they race. So here are my questions about the Goblins.

1) That headtube angle at 71.5* looks really steep. Are these bikes twitchy or unstable downhill and at speed. My boys are coming from the Marlins that have at 69.3* head tube angle, so I have concerns about their stability

2) How fat of a tire can you fit inside that frame. The stock 2.0" tire seems kind of narrow.

3) Any other thoughts or comments on the Blue Goblin?

For reference, my wife has a small frame silver Goblin I built. We love that bike. Its very smooth and very stable. I also have a Niner EMD that has specs similar to the Blue Goblin. The EMD does feel more twitchy than the old Goblin. So I have concerns about the blue Goblin since it is even steeper angles than my EMD.

Those on blue Goblins give me your thoughts.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Wow, no one has a blue Goblin? What's happened to all the excitement about Airborne?

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    Wow, no one has a blue Goblin? What's happened to all the excitement about Airborne?
    Airborne fell off the map for years and doesn't seem to be very good at getting the word out about their new bikes. I recently bought new bikes for myself, my wife, and my son, and I would have gone airborne for at least a couple of these if the new models had been out in time. (Ended up with a YT Jeffsy for myself, Kona Process for my wife, and Norco Sight for my son.)

Anyway, you must be asking about the Goblin 29 in light blue. I have no experience with that.

My primary bike from 2014 until a few months ago was my 2014 Airborne Goblin Evo (29, also blue). Overall it's been a fantastic bike and I still ride it about 40% of the time (mostly because the YT came with too big chainring and I only recently had time to change it out). I've taken it all around the PNW on everything from greens to blacks, jumps, drops and tons of tech. No complaints from me.

Initially had issues with the brakes warbling and making a ton of noise but Hayes sent me new pads and everything has been good since then.

I've been slowly learning bike maintenance and my next project (now that I have another bike and won't be without while doing the work) is to convert the 2x10 to a 1x9. I'm going to go with the Box Two P9 which is a wide-range 9-speed cassette. I have 11sp and my son has 12sp and we both feel that it's too many gears; usually we use the largest for climbing and somewhere in the middle everywhere else, not much use for most of them.

The only upgrades I've done so far on this bike though is new grips, added a PNW Components dropper, and re-did the cable routing (recently, wish I'd paid attention earlier, there are paint rubs on the frame and fork because of silly factory routing).

Thumbs-up from me!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Yep, I was talking about that light blue Goblin.

I wish they still made that 29er EVO. That is pretty much the direction I see things moving. They were ahead of their time on that one, then they dropped it in favor of a 27.5" EVO.

Interesting thoughts on the 1x9. I see everything moving to 1x12, but I kind of like your thinking. I currently have a 1x10 and it seems about perfect. Maybe just a little bit lower gear would be nice and the could space the others a little further apart. There are many times that I am grabing 2 gears at a time.

I never knew there was such a thing as a wide range 9 speed. I might have to look into that.

mtbr member

I wish they still made that 29er EVO. That is pretty much the direction I see things moving. They were ahead of their time on that one

Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I finally got out to visit a friend this weekend who has a blue Goblin. My kids and I rode the bike around the yard a little. We did find it very quick to respond, maybe even a little twitchy. However, my friend changed out his stem to a shorter stem, so that is likely the reason if felt so quick. Overall, it rode very smooth and was nice. For pure XC racing I think it might be a very nice bike. So its still on my radar.

However, those 2.0 tires look super narrow compared to my 2.25. Not much room back in the chainstay for a larger tire either. I think a 2.25 might fit, but it would be tight. There is no clearance for any mud if you put a 2.25 back there. The biggest short coming I see on the blue Goblin is the narrow tire and lack of room for anything much wider.

I'm not sure why the blue Goblin was designed the way it was. In some ways it seems like a step backwards from the Black/Green Goblin. Maybe it made sense when they had the EVO 29 in the lineup. It still looks like a fantastic XC bike, but it might be a little limited on more trail oriented stuff.

I really wish I would have seen the potential of the EVO 29 when that thing was released. Its too bad there doesn't seem to be any interest in bringing that bike back.

Jeremy, was the Blue Goblin designed while you were still there or did that come after you left? Just curious if you know why they made some of the changes they did?

mtbr member
    Jeremy, was the Blue Goblin designed while you were still there or did that come after you left? Just curious if you know why they made some of the changes they did?
    That was done by someone who was the second product manager to come in there after I left. I wouldn't have any idea of the why's or the how's of anything that came after me - I've intentionally stayed out of the same circles that most of those folks that work there are in.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    That was done by someone who was the second product manager to come in there after I left. I wouldn't have any idea of the why's or the how's of anything that came after me - I've intentionally stayed out of the same circles that most of those folks that work there are in.

Jeremy
    Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought. Things make more sense now knowing that there have been a couple of product managers between your departure and the current manager.

I'll just say one more time that you really were on the right track with the 29er EVO. I can't believe that was 5 years ago already. At the time, my trail options were pretty limited and I didn't get what purpose the bike was for. I was more of the weight weeny XC mindset. Now with more trails and more riding time under my belt. I really get what you were doing here. I've been looking for something similar to this design but can't find much. The current Niner Air 9 is pretty close, but not quite the same quality of components and it cost considerably more to boot. Maybe you should just start your own Mtb company. You seem to know whats going on in that world.

mtbr member
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Like all of the other stuff I worked on while I was there I poured my heart into it. That bike was the result of countless hours of riding and refining.

I often second-guess my decision to leave the bike industry, but I don't second-guess leaving Airborne.

At this point it will be 5 years since I left the industry so its doubtful that I would return to that world again. A lot has happened and changed in that time.

So glad you like the Evo!

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

I wish they still made that 29er EVO. That is pretty much the direction I see things moving. They were ahead of their time on that one, then they dropped it in favor of a 27.5" EVO.

Interesting thoughts on the 1x9. I see everything moving to 1x12, but I kind of like your thinking. I currently have a 1x10 and it seems about perfect. Maybe just a little bit lower gear would be nice and the could space the others a little further apart. There are many times that I am grabing 2 gears at a time.

I never knew there was such a thing as a wide range 9 speed. I might have to look into that.
    I agree re: 27.5 evo; I'm glad I bought the 29er when I did. I agonized over it at the time because I hated the color but I don't mind it anymore.

I found the 1x9 proposition interesting as well and figured I'd give it a try. I have since found out that another company is making 1x9: Microshift Advent.

They look fine and you save quite a bit over the Box Components but I think I will still go with Box because I like that 50T big gear. The microshift biggest is a 42T.

https://www.microshift.com/en/introducing-advent/

I'm going to keep my 2x crankset and use a bash ring in the big spot and a 30T chain ring in the little spot. I'm hoping everything works out but I'll find out for sure in December when the parts all show up.

I miss the era of BigDaddyFlyer @ Airborne. Answered tons of questions on here and probably drummed up quite a bit of business (on his free time!?).

Not only was the EVO 29er ahead of its time, the whole online-order bike thing was. Back then I think the only other player was bikesdirect?? Now you've got YT, Commencal, Whyte, Canyon, etc.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Thanks so much for the kind words. Like all of the other stuff I worked on while I was there I poured my heart into it. That bike was the result of countless hours of riding and refining.

I often second-guess my decision to leave the bike industry, but I don't second-guess leaving Airborne.

At this point it will be 5 years since I left the industry so its doubtful that I would return to that world again. A lot has happened and changed in that time.

So glad you like the Evo!

Jeremy
    I didn't realize you left the industry. I thought you were still working in the bike industry somewhere. Enjoy whatever you are doing for a living and enjoy biking even more without the stress of thinking about business while you play.

Quote Originally Posted by saberworks View Post

I miss the era of BigDaddyFlyer @ Airborne. Answered tons of questions on here and probably drummed up quite a bit of business (on his free time!?).

Not only was the EVO 29er ahead of its time, the whole online-order bike thing was. Back then I think the only other player was bikesdirect?? Now you've got YT, Commencal, Whyte, Canyon, etc.
    I know of at least 4 sales personally that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Big Daddys presence here. I have a Quicksilver Goblin I built, and my friend has a Black/Green Goblin, Blue Goblin and a Griffen. All because of that first Black/Green Goblin was such a nice bike.

Thanks for the list of other online bike shops. I didn't know about all of them.

mtbr member
    I didn't realize you left the industry. I thought you were still working in the bike industry somewhere. Enjoy whatever you are doing for a living and enjoy biking even more without the stress of thinking about business while you play.

I know of at least 4 sales personally that wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Big Daddys presence here. I have a Quicksilver Goblin I built, and my friend has a Black/Green Goblin, Blue Goblin and a Griffen. All because of that first Black/Green Goblin was such a nice bike.

Thanks for the list of other online bike shops. I didn't know about all of them.
    Thanks so much. I'm glad that someone appreciates the work that I put into it. It wasn't appreciated by the people who should have while I was there, and that's why I left.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Just to follow up on the box components prime 9 upgrade, I actually decided to go with a shimano slx 1x11 instead of the box components. The main two reasons are weight and cost. A bunch of slx stuff is on sale on jensonusa so I ordered everything I need for $166 vs the $269 for the box components. (neither includes the front bash and chainrings which I previously ordered from absoluteBlack) Regarding weight, the slx cassette is ~200 grams lighter and I don't need a proprietary chain. I will probably post a separate thread once the slx parts come in and I actually do the conversion.

I considered shimano 1x12 but would need a different (microspline) hub. NX eagle can run on the hg freehub I guess but slx seems better. I dunno.