airborne wingman??- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

airborne wingman??

What's everyones real opinion on this bike? To good to be true or just not what people are looking for? I hardly see any riders talk about it and the only reviews it has is from airbornes flight crew members. Is this a legitemate bike for dj and some street fun? Is airborne like the generic brand or something? Looking for real feedback so let's hear it fellas.

mtbr member
    i had never heard of it before the few threads on this forum.

here's a MTB Action review:
    Bike Test: Airborne Wingman | News | mountain-bike-action

i personally would not be real stoked on 21.5"tt and 16"rear end (chainstay). i prefer longer in the front, like 22" or 22.25" or 22.5" and 15.5"/15.75" ish in the back.
    but at the same time those measurements can be off depending how the company measures them. if you're tall, a 21.5"tt is probably going to feel too small and cramped for you.

it's probably a good bike. 6061 aluminum is used for a lot of frames, and almost everything comes from China anyway.

i personally prefer chomoly steel over aluminum. but that's partly a visual/aesthetics thing. it used to be said that aluminum was better for smooth riding and dirt racing, but was a lot more susceptible to cracking street or park riding because aluminum is brittle and cracks while steel potentially flexes and doesn't break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Ahh good to hear.. when i was looking at specs it said the chainstays length was 15.5"in in the geometry spec on vitalmtb I believe these are very accurate specs.

mtbr member
    better picture. that rear dropout design looks a little weak.

The Unaffiliated
    Oct 2009
    I'm curious about this bike too. Head angle is a tad steep vs. other bikes I have looked at (but not ridden) and I'm not thrilled about the fork, but it is probably good enough for the majority of riders. Considering the complete bike is barely more than a high end FRAME, it is pretty tempting.

One question I have is about the cranks and BB. The website says, "48 spline 19mm spindle with sealed bearings euro-type", what other cranks will this work with? Only BMX cranks? Is this pretty easy to replace?

Also, anybody had one on a scale?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I believe it can accept regular crank sets. Also for the rear dropouts they look pretty stout to me . They have a gusseted type setup and from building custom car frames anytime something is gusseted its always stronger. I don't want to end up being the guinnea pig for this bike and learn the hardway. I was also under the impression dj3 shocks were among the best as for the frame, there aren't many chromo frame completes that were affordable for me. . Surely somebody on here knows something good or bad or has one.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Further google searching has showed airborne bicycles and huffy are 2 in the same company I believe... maybe that explains some?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4130 View Post
    better picture. that rear dropout design looks a little weak.

The drop-outs we use on the wingman are super-stout. We've never heard one complaint.

The chainstays are 15.5" slammed.

Yes, Airborne is owned by Huffy but operates under its own P&L and does its own thing. Airborne benefits from the buying power and the warehousing that Huffy has, but design, R&D, and factory are all separate. Much like the relationship between Pacific/Dorel and Cannondale.

Please contact me directly if you have any further questions, thanks!
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    so has anybody got this bike or been on it? besides the people that work for airborne or there "flight crew"?

Airborne Alf
    May 2011
    I own a Wingman and I don't work for or ride for Airborne. I've had it for quite some time now and I love it. I haven't had one issue with it. If you want to know anything else just ask...

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    this bikes good to go... hydraulic brakes to boot. I would ride it like I stole it!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    The drop-outs we use on the wingman are super-stout. We've never heard one complaint.

The chainstays are 15.5" slammed.

Yes, Airborne is owned by Huffy but operates under its own P&L and does its own thing. Airborne benefits from the buying power and the warehousing that Huffy has, but design, R&D, and factory are all separate. Much like the relationship between Pacific/Dorel and Cannondale.

Please contact me directly if you have any further questions, thanks!
    Im 6'3". Is this bike big enough for me? I read on ridemonkey from a guy that was 6"2" said that the bike felt small only a few times and that if you are any bigger the bike will feel small. Is this pretty accurate?

mtbr member
    It all depends on your personal preference. I'm 6'1" and feel at home on my Wingman. Some folks like smaller frames. However, you may be on the edge of being too tall, its hard to tell. Most companies only make one frame size in their dedicated jump bikes (with a few exceptions) so this could be a problem for you with other makes.

Good luck!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I've had the chance to spend some time on a Wingman and I loved it. It is a little heavy for a dirt jumper but it feels super solid and has no problem getting up off of jumps. If I had the cash I would own one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What's everyone thoughts on this bike? I've got a Spesh P.26 AM bike and love it, but want something with an alum frame. AND for the price, getting another bike with the components this one's got, it seems like a decent deal. I'm 6 foot and do enjoy a bit of a smaller bike, so would this one work? Just looking for some thoughts! Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm 6 foot and it felt great when I rode one.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cool, thanks for the reply. I'm pretty stoked on getting one, just wish I could give it a test ride before I commit to buying. I haven't really ridden enough DJ bikes to know exactly what I'm looking for, but I'd imagine it'll be like my AM bike in that I'll know if it feels "right" the moment I get on it.

Airborne Alf
    May 2011
    You will love the Wingman. I know I do. Very nimble bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sorry for the thread necro but this seemed like an appropriate place to ask. Does Airborne have plans to ever make another dirt jump bike? The site says they're done with the Wingman which is a bummer. $500 was a freaking steal.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathwater View Post
    Sorry for the thread necro but this seemed like an appropriate place to ask. Does Airborne have plans to ever make another dirt jump bike? The site says they're done with the Wingman which is a bummer. $500 was a freaking steal.

I believe Jeremy has said they have no plans for another DJ bike. So, with that said, does anyone have any recommendations for another budget friendly DJ bike along the lines of the wingman? Rigid fork is fine.
    Eric

mtbr member
    No future plans. $500 was below our cost and a closeout price. It was originally $799.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Skyphix, Jeremy, thanks for the info, guys. Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Might want to let someone at Airborne know that I still see the "Hot Deal!" Wingman at $499 ad on the front page of mtbr every time I come here. That might be part of the confusion.

mtbr member
    We're aware and have asked mtbr folks to change, thanks~

Jeremy

Members who have read this thread: 0