Airborne went t, I mean belly up?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Airborne went t, I mean belly up?

What's up with that? When I was shopping for my first 29er I was seriously considering going with the B-29. I was also looking at their single speed offerings, now I find out they're belly up... Is this the first post about this one? On the flip side the Flyte aluminum 29er looks like a nice offering, but not what I'm looking for.
    29er Fan!

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Potential Roadkill
    What's up with that? When I was shopping for my first 29er I was seriously considering going with the B-29. I was also looking at their single speed offerings, now I find out they're belly up... Is this the first post about this one? On the flip side the Flyte aluminum 29er looks like a nice offering, but not what I'm looking for.
    I'm not sure, but I beleive they still exist but can only be purchased in Europe. The original Airborne guys broke off from the parent company (Pacific?) and started Flyte.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blame it on Huffy

There is a write-up somewhere on the new Flyte website, but basically it tells the story of how Jamie Roddin started Airborne, made it successful, cashed in and sold it to Huffy, then after Huffy ran it to the ground, Jamie bought it back. But in buying it back he was only allow to use the Airborne name for a time period...and it just recently expired. So they are still able to use the name outside of the US, but not in....so therefore Flyte exists as a way to continue the US business.

Wish they had never been involved with Huffy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Wink You can still get 'em in the US.

I just received shipment of an Airborne B-29. If you enter the Euro site and select your frame, you can then select shipment to the US. Mine came thru. They are changing their name to Van Nicholas Bikes though so not sure how much Airborne stock is left. I happened to pick up one of the Clearence Hanger B-29's for about $600 (500euro). With shipping it came out to about $830...which for a Ti 29er, I thought was reasonable. So keep an eye on the Clearence Hanger as they unload all of the old frames.

Members who have read this thread: 0