Airborne Taka pictures and short review- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Smile Airborne Taka pictures and short review

I AM IN NO WAY AFFILIATED WITH AIRBORNE BICYLES. THIS IS NOT FOR MARKETING PURPOSES AND IS NOT INTENDED TO PROVIDE USEFUL INFORMATION. READ AT YOUR OWN RISK

Well its finally here and built and its awesome. I've been asking a ton of questions and making a lot of threads so to repay you guys I thought I'd share a few pics and a little review.

Azonic 420 pedals-love the white and tan color theme! Getting white handlebars and saddle to match.

Gonna try to get a white/tan color theme going. I rode it today on some local trails thats why the tires are a little dirty.

THIS IS NOT BASED OFF OF EXPERIENCE. I'VE ONLY HAD IT FOR A DAY. THIS IS JUST A PERSONAL DESCRIPTION. DON'T TAKE IT SERIOUSLY.

Rear Suspension

The bike feels great, and the suspension, although not very adjustable besides rebound and preload, feels like it performs across the board and is very rock solid and reliable. A ton of travel (8 inches front and rear) makes it very plush over pretty much anything. Granted I weigh 125 lbs, so the 450 lbs rear spring is a little stiff for my liking, (it only sags like an inch or so when i sit on it), but i still can tell the Roco R coil shock is very smooth and responsive. Once I get a 300 or 350 lbs spring it'll really feel plush.

Fork

The 888 RV fork also feels pretty good out of the box, but it definitely needs breaking in. Mine may need more oil as it feels slightly jerky and sticky as it goes through its travel, but when its really pumping on a rock garden it performs great.
    *UPDATE* According to a correction made by another member, the fork is "jerky" and "sticky because it needs breaking in, not because it needs more oil. Thank you simcik for the correction.

Frame Overview

The frame is very stiff and the single pivot design is very durable and reliable. Some people think since its single pivot and 8 inches of travel, it will be awful to pedal but its actually not bad at all. The trails I rode it on today are very flat, rugged but flat, with some uphill. The Taka seemed to accelerate very well for what it is, and I didn't even notice my rear end compressing down when I pump the pedal. Almost no pedal bob, which is amazing for a bike like this. Although it weighs a little over 40 lbs (17" frame), it really doesn't feel that heavy. I was able to easily pedal it through the mostly flat and uphill trails, and I only weigh 125 lbs.

General Suspension Performance Overview
    I tried to launch off of some rocks and got a little air, (these were on flat trails so I didn't have enough speed to really get airborne) but I went maybe a few feet high and it felt like I never left the ground because the fork and shock soaked it up so well. The suspension without doubt could easily take a MUCH bigger hit than that and it would feel equally as smooth.

The Brakes

The Avid Juicy 3 hydraulic brakes simply do the job. If I want to stop, I can stop, thats good enough for me. The large 8 inch rotors help with that.

The Cockpit

The cockpit feels right and is set up nicely with KORE components. Shifters are smooth, levers work fine, and the grips worked fine for today. Some people's reviews say these grips are horrible, but I certainly didn't notice any horrible qualities of them today. Pros-They work. Cons-they will eventually wear off because their just pieces of rubber.

Conclusion
    Bottom line: its a great dh bike (and great looking!) and performs like much more expensive dh bikes. It doesn't have all the fancy suspension adjustments and all the world cup mumbo jumbo, but it feels great and is rock solid on the downhill. Its a true set and forget bike. Whether your a beginner, or an advanced rider, the bike will feel "right" and is a great way to get into the sport since it has an incredible price tag. *Price removed because this is not for advertising purposes.* You really can't go wrong with this bike. Hey thanks for reading and thanks a ton for all the help! Can't wait to take it up to Mt. Snow, Vermont and really test it out!
    Last edited by rswitz; 03-20-2011 at 07:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Great looking rig, but can you break up that paragraph a little. A few spaces will go a long way towards it's readability.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    good suggestion i'm on it

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    *Updated*

Moose Member
    Much better with the breaks in it, much easier to read. Great review. Sounds like a great bike.

Btw, how old, or how anorexic are you if you weigh 125?

If you think you can
    Good review! Glad you like the bike.

mtbr member
    Looks great! Now do two things:

1. Take off those reflectors.
    2. Go out there and get it dirty~!

Jeremy

Yes, that's fonetic
    [QUOTE=rswitz]Bottom line: its a great dh bike (and great looking!) and performs likes much more expensive dh bike. QUOTE]

And you can tell this after riding it on a flat trail? How many of those "much more expensive dh bikes" did you actually test ride?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=whodaphuck]
    Quote Originally Posted by rswitz
    Bottom line: its a great dh bike (and great looking!) and performs likes much more expensive dh bike. QUOTE]

And you can tell this after riding it on a flat trail? How many of those "much more expensive dh bikes" did you actually test ride?
    i'd be interested to know also bc a customer had us completely redo a yakuza last year with lighter parts, a 2010 boxxer team, and a rc4. he didn't know how to adjust it so i went with him to a resort and helped him set the suspension up while he was on my TR450. I was so stoked to get done with that run and get back on my 450. He liked it but very quickly bought a jedi frame...then realized he hated the yakuza.

that being said...amazing deal and it does hold up to dh fine. should be an amazing season for you!!! have fun on it!!!

biking is fun
    good looking bike, im sure it will serve you well.

Only suggestion for when you do initial reviews, Don't use words like Durable and Reliable. Save those for a year or two from now.

Also if you want a suggestions for a single part to upgrade that would help it feel more like modern DH bikes then look into getting a Cane Creek Angleset. It will drop that BB height and slacken it out. Definitely get the full 1.5 degree cups.

Now with More Wood
    rswitz, it great to see you stoked on your new ride. However, why do you feel compelled to posting a "review" of it already, given your obviously very limited experience with it (and bikes in general), and what's more, to make some pretty definitive statements about how it compares to other bikes? Like:

-of course it won't bob much - you have a spring on there rated for a rider at least 50
    % heavier than you...
    -it does not "perform like many much more expensive bikes". You would be entitled to saying "you can use this bike for its intended application", that would indeed be correct.
    -Juicy 3s are pretty bad for any kind of aggressive riding...especially downhill...

Still, glad to see you stoked. Now go out and shred!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    alright thanks for the advice on the reviews. I'm just telling you its a good bike. I didn't even set out to make a review, I just got carried away after I posted the pictures.
    And to Moosey: Thanks, it is a great bike. But you never heard of a guy weighing 125lbs? You assume I'm anorexic, thats funny.

mtbr member
    Good writing, Rswitz... I can tell that you're really excited about your bike. There were also some very good suggestions from other members regarding your comments on reliability and durability. We hope you do a follow-up in a few months after you've done some comprehensive rides on the bike.

Oh, and I weight 145 (and want to go down to 140 for an XC race) and I can't recall the last time I was 125! =P

Glad to Be Alive
    nice bike...congrats on getting it

but your review sounds canned...meaning someone wrote it

my question is how can a noob (beginner rider) who has been asking very "rookie" questions for about two months become an expert rider and give solid reviews......very fishy very fishy

not being mean............ but fess up
    Last edited by SHIVER ME TIMBERS; 03-20-2011 at 09:39 AM.

Glad to Be Alive
    nice bike...congrats on getting it

but your review sounds canned...meaning someone wrote it

my question is how can a noob (beginner rider) who has been asking very "rookie" questions for about two months become an expert rider and give solid reviews......very fishy very fishy

not being mean............ but fess up

cbc
    Bullit Rider
    Apr 2006
    Sweet build!

I find it interesting that it has reflectors? Sounds like a sweet bike overall!

Clay

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Congrats on the new bike man. My first bike was also the IH Yakuza ('07, Sohon Bucho) and I loved it. The rear end would act up in the rough spots, but it cornered surprisingly well, it was also very predictable in the air. It really is a good bike, and perfect for a first bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Nice bike and nice review. Keep us updated on how your bike and your progression goes and get out there and tear it up. I honestly wish more people would post first bike reports sharing that fresh enthusiasm. Keep that stoke!!!

Ricky DH
    I see you've learned your lesson and included some pixs in your thread this time.

That is a great first time/starter DH bike you've got there, ride it hard and have a blast on it. I do predict that you will outgrow this bike in two years, and start looking at more advanced frames/suspension. Till then, let 'er rip!!

Moose Member
    alright thanks for the advice on the reviews. I'm just telling you its a good bike. I didn't even set out to make a review, I just got carried away after I posted the pictures.
    And to Moosey: Thanks, it is a great bike. But you never heard of a guy weighing 125lbs? You assume I'm anorexic, thats funny.

Just askin... I'm 16 and weigh 130, and am technically underweight. Then again I don't know how tall you are...

An anglset would probably help, may wanna look into one...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Do you happen to be associated with Airborne? Like on their flight team or whatever they call it? No offense, but your review seems partially like marketing (what their ads describe) and partially like an excited new bike owner. What high end DH bikes have you tested and believe this to be equal to or better than?

Adding oil to a fork that is "jerky" and "sticky" wont do anything to smooth it out. The seals and bushings simply need to break in.

Congrats on the new bike, I think the white and tan look will be pretty sweet on there. Definitely use a spring calculator when figuring out the new spring, a 300 lb spring sounds like it will be super light even for someone your weight.
    Last edited by simcik; 03-20-2011 at 01:44 PM.
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    killer deal on a solid beginner bike, you sound pretty excited about it which is good. Welcome to lift assist riding! I would suggest to bring some extra tubes with you to mount snow, as 2 guys got flats within one run. Maybe I will see ya ridin this summer!

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    Do you happen to be associated with Airborne? Like on their flight team or whatever they call it? No offense, but your review seems partially like marketing (what their ads describe) and partially like an excited new bike owner. What high end DH bikes have you tested and believe this to be equal to or better than?
    t.
    great question....I am wondering the same too
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    great question....I am wondering the same too
    And obviously it is ok if he is, but if he is, he needs to be up front about it, otherwise it looks bad for both him and Airborne. I am associated with a handful of brands, but its pretty clear in my signature that I represent them.
    Transition, Shimano, DT Swiss, deity, Maxxis, Dakine, Demon Dirt, MRP, Oakley, VP, Honey Stinger, Grassroots Cycles

Yes, that's fonetic
    Not saying it's the case, but it wouldn't be the first time someone was accused of shilling for Airborne on these forums.

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by simcik
    And obviously it is ok if he is, but if he is, he needs to be up front about it, otherwise it looks bad for both him and Airborne. I am associated with a handful of brands, but its pretty clear in my signature that I represent them.
    and I have no problem either...

but him asking how to set up a shock on the bike, if the fork is good, and more stuff and then he knows all this new information on how the rear end feels, pedal bob and more things an advanced rider would know just comes across bad
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    and I have no problem either...

but him asking how to set up a shock on the bike, if the fork is good, and more stuff and then he knows all this new information on how the rear end feels, pedal bob and more things an advanced rider would know just comes across bad
    Jesus man, you're such a clown--reading into this kid's review like it's Kafka or something. It's pretty damn obvious he's a younger guy who's stoked to be getting into DH and is excited about his first bike.

Although, I guess it would make sense that some 125lb kid who's never had a DH bike before and doesn't know what reducer cups are has been hired by Airbourne to try to get you to spend money on something other than hookers, Becks and girly-Porsches...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst
    Jesus man, you're such a clown--reading into this kid's review like it's Kafka or something. It's pretty damn obvious he's a younger guy who's stoked to be getting into DH and is excited about his first bike.

Although, I guess it would make sense that some 125lb kid who's never had a DH bike before and doesn't know what reducer cups are has been hired by Airbourne to try to get you to spend money on something other than hookers, Becks and girly-Porsches...
    thx dowst for posting some common sense.

kid is obviously stoked with his new bike, and so he shared his review based on what he's learned here & elsewhere. he seems aware that his 'review' is not an expert's review but he thought some people would be interested in reading it. no harm in that.
    Originally posted by bucksaw87
    I still fail to see how mustaches, fixies, and PBR are ironic.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ok. A lot of talk has been going on about me and my "review" that I wrote. I just want to clear a few things up:
    1. I am a 19 year old college student and am in no way affiliated with Airborne Bicylces. I wrote this review because I am excited and wanted to show off my bike. And yes, I weigh 125 lbs because I am a long-distance runner and a competitive tennis player. I do not have an eating disorder.

2. I did not "steal" this review or complile it from other sources. This is genuinely my writing. It includes information or descriptions that may not be accurate and is obvious to the experts on these forums, so it is clear that I wrote it. Yes, I asked "noob" questions previously in several threads regarding suspension setup, but those questions were regarding specific components which I have no experience with. I do have some general basic knowledge of bike components and some of the terms used, such as "pedal bob" and others. Although it may seem suspicous or surprising that I am suddenly knowledgable of more advanced details of bikes, I do not see the relationship between being unknlowdgeable of specific components and being knowledgeable of bikes in general.

3. I'm not trying to provide useful information. I wrote this "review" purely for fun and entertainment purposes. I should have stated initialy that I am not writing on behalf of Airborne for marketing purposes.

4. Get out and ride!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Read more, post less.

Lesson learned.

Si vales, valeo.
    I didn't even set out to make a review, ...
    Title of thread: Airborne Taka pictures and short review
    "An inconvenience is an adventure wrongly considered." G.K. Chesterton

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah, I changed the title once I made the review. This thread started out as "Airborne Taka pictures".

Yes, that's fonetic
    Yeah, I changed the title once I made the review. This thread started out as "Airborne Taka pictures".
    You may not have set out to make a review, but that's exactly what you did. An uninformed, biased review, but a review nonetheless. Remember, there are many very informed participants on these forums and you won't get away with spewing ignorance, but if you come with an honest quest for knowledge this can be a valuable source for qualified information.

GAME ON!
    i'd be willing to bet that part of the airborne flight crew briefing states that any member is to disclaim their affiliation with airborne up front (and repeatedly) as some kind of guerilla marketing. you know, like those commercials with actors who state that they are definitely not actors (but know how to pan to a camera and capture all the perfect angles.) it would be hard to gain any credibility if someone stated up front that they worked for airborne. i've heard about this flight crew for a couple of years but have only seen content posted by "definitely not affiliated with airborne" and no words from an actual flight crew member, but i'm also really cynical in general, so who knows.

meow meow
    I wrote this "review" purely for fun and entertainment purposes.
    haha. no need to say that. you were just posting your initial thoughts on a bike your stoked on.

Yes, that's fonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    i'd be willing to bet that part of the airborne flight crew briefing states that any member is to disclaim their affiliation with airborne up front (and repeatedly) as some kind of guerilla marketing. you know, like those commercials with actors who state that they are definitely not actors (but know how to pan to a camera and capture all the perfect angles.) it would be hard to gain any credibility if someone stated up front that they worked for airborne. i've heard about this flight crew for a couple of years but have only seen content posted by "definitely not affiliated with airborne" and no words from an actual flight crew member, but i'm also really cynical in general, so who knows.
    Sounds a little paranoid to me.

CoolArrow
    Any chance you can verify the alleged content is from Flight Crew members, or provide examples of said content - or are you just making that up?

Here's two that ARE affiliated...

http://www.gregridestrails.com/searc...0flight%20crew

Seems pretty up front to me...

http://airborneflightcrew.blogspot.com/

By the way, when one "disclaims" something, they are admitting an affiliation, not denying it (as in "disclaimer")

To the OP - congrats on your new bike. Post a review/rider thoughts in a couple months after you've had a chance to beat it up a bit
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

GAME ON!
    dis·claim
       /dɪsˈkleɪm/ Show Spelled[dis-kleym]
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to deny or repudiate interest in or connection with;

i made no claims, merely speculation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'll defintely post back in a few months when I've actually ridden it downhill for a while. Thanks for all the compliments! And to Saturnine: please relax. Thank you.

GAME ON!
    sorry, i'm amped up on mt. dew and doritos

CoolArrow
    dis·claim
       /dɪsˈkleɪm/ Show Spelled[dis-kleym]
    –verb (used with object)
    1. to deny or repudiate interest in or connection with;

i made no claims, merely speculation.
    Fair enough... and English is my first language, go figure...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

Slap happy crappiness
    Bwahahahaha, best "review" I've read so far. Classic.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

banned
    I've been wondering why the bike has reflectors on it when on the top tube it clearly states that the bike is not to be ridden at night...

GAME ON!
    Quote Originally Posted by Katana
    I've been wondering why the bike has reflectors on it when on the top tube it clearly states that the bike is not to be ridden at night...
    no bike can tell me what to do

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    DHgnaR, I'm sorry your not adequately impressed with my review (or whatever you want to call it), however, I clearly stated in the beggining that it is not meant to provide useful information.

mtbr member
    I'm just glad it's broken up and readable now. Before it was one huge text block that gave me a headache.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Hey rswitz, since you're in the northeast you have to bring that bike over to Whiteface. I ride there on a regular basis on a Iron Horse Yakuza and the bike does fine. I've made several upgrades to the bike and I'm at the point that my next upgrade will be a new bike. But the bike was a great way to get started in DH.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm a skier and I've been to most places in the Vermont/New Hapshire area, some places in New York, but I've never been to White Face. Not sure why, I just never skied there, though I here its pretty intense. I'd love to go downhilling there this summer, among other places. So far I've only downhill biked at Mt. Snow, and rented an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho which I really liked. Thats part of the reason why I got the Airborne Taka because its pretty much the same frame. But yeah I really want to ride a bunch of places this summer, money/time permitting. (I'm a college student so those two things are pretty scarce haha)

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Wow

Im new here, and cant beleive the way you guys ripped into this kid. It is very clear he is excited about the bike and just wanted to share that. He even stated it wasnt useful info. I am surprised he is even willing to give his thoughts after he rides it awhile. Why would he, if this is what he gets afterwards. Wow, the first post I read so far. I hope it gets friendlier!!!!

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by strung2tite
    Im new here, and cant beleive the way you guys ripped into this kid. It is very clear he is excited about the bike and just wanted to share that. He even stated it wasnt useful info. I am surprised he is even willing to give his thoughts after he rides it awhile. Why would he, if this is what he gets afterwards. Wow, the first post I read so far. I hope it gets friendlier!!!!
    he edited the post...it was way different before

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure why people keep refering to me as a kid. I'm a 19 year old finance major currently interning at Citibank on wallstreet, and a part-time computer technician. Not trying to brag, but I think that makes me enough of an adult on a bicycle forum. Besides, after many of the posts in this thread, I'm beginning to think half the members of this forum are more arrogant than a 19 year old junior investment banker.

Maybe if the forementioned arrogant bicycle enthusiasts improve thier manners, I'll post an update on the bike in a few months when I've ridden it thoroughly enough for a legitamate review.
    Last edited by rswitz; 03-24-2011 at 09:59 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    That was dumb.
    And it's you're, not your. Stay in school.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Typical grammatical error comeback when there's nothing else to say.
    Grammar and spelling on an internet forum have nothing to do with intelligence. Thats not news to you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    the reason you're a kid is because you still don't have a ton of experience on bikes. You haven't tested a ton of equipment and you still don't know why your parts are better/worse

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I realize that. I'm not a bike expert. So what?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    see...it's not that we hate the bike, it was that you were saying that the bike was as good or better than our bikes, and it wasn't even set up correctly...and btw, don't underestimate people in this forum. Most of us have college degrees...accounting with finance minor for me...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I'm not underestimating people on this forum. I never made any statement about thier education. The only reason I made that post was because you guys were underestimating me. Whatever, doesn't matter.

Its 1:20 AM here and I'm going to bed. You guys must be on the west coast.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Last edited by nmpearson; 03-24-2011 at 11:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Stop editing all the dumb stuff out of your posts. You said it, so stick to your guns, son.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    name dropper, lay off.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    You sound like a 14 year old. Go back to Junior High.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    sorry, you're not a kid, just a lot younger than I. (41) Didnt mean anything by it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Back to being on topic... interesting that you don't think the bike has a lot of pedal bop. Probably has a lot to do with spring way too stiff for your weight - you'll find out on rought terrain...

I got an '05 Yakusa Kumicho last summer (same frame) and with both the original shock that was shot (slow rebound) and a new '10 Roco WC air, set on the plush side for my weight (205lbs) I find this frame to be very hard to pedal compair to say my Trail 5.5" Carbon Mojo - which is fine with me as this is a dedicated DH shuttle park bike (Northstar) - having some sort of platform/pro-pedal would probably help immensly, unlike DW bikes like the mojo that require none. But again I don't care about pedaling much - I want plush.

While this bike new is a lot of value for the money, you can do better buying used if you have a good local market. Pay half of that with much better components. Also wouldn't promote airborne as they are run by the same crooks who put IH out of business (read IH forum for good info) - loved their DW-link MKIII trail bike. shame....

Now with More Wood
    Then (couple of weeks ago):

...The bike feels great, and the suspension, although not very adjustable besides rebound and preload, feels like it performs across the board and is very rock solid and reliable. A ton of travel (8 inches front and rear) makes it very plush over pretty much anything....

...The frame is very stiff and the single pivot design is very durable and reliable...

Bottom line: its a great dh bike (and great looking!) and performs like much more expensive dh bikes. It doesn't have all the fancy suspension adjustments and all the world cup mumbo jumbo, but it feels great and is rock solid on the downhill. Its a true set and forget bike.
    Now:

When I lift my bike up from the seat or from the top part of the frame, it lags about a quarter-inch or so before the wheels actualy come off the ground. There is a clicking sound, like a metal "clank", when the lag ends and the wheels lift up. I don't know where the sound is coming from, but it sounds like its coming from a pivot point in the frame near the rear shock. I'm thinking maybe a bolt is loose in the frame where it pivots through its travel. Its an Airborne Taka, which is a single-pivot frame. The bike rides fine on small stuff, no noticable issues since the loosness is only when I'm lifting the bike up. But I'm not sure what would happen at Mt. Snow when I go as soon as it opens for downhilling.
    I'm confused - which one is it?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    Also wouldn't promote airborne as they are run by the same crooks who put IH out of business (read IH forum for good info) - loved their DW-link MKIII trail bike. shame....

No they're not

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    No they're not
    Sorry I didn't mean airborne per say, but the only place you could buy them which is GiantNerd.com and 1 other web site (can't find it right now) are owned by Randall Scott it seems, who had a lot to do with IH demise, at the very least threatened users on this forum... hey maybe I'm all wrong. Do yourself a favor and read IH demise on that forum.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny
    Sorry I didn't mean airborne per say, but the only place you could buy them which is GiantNerd.com and 1 other web site (can't find it right now).
    Also not true. You can buy Airborne Bicycles directly from Airborne on their website as well as from Sun and Ski Sport and my personal favorite, The 2nd Street Bike Stop Cafe in St Charles, MO http://2ndstreetbikestopcafe.webs.com/thebikeshop.htm
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    all i want to say is i'm glad you like it. mine should be here this week
    i used to be a hot tar roofer, ya i remember that......day.

CoolArrow
    I dig mine just fine so far... have a couple issues with it, which I'll get into on my blog at a later date when I've ridden it a bit more...

https://jerryhazard.com/archives/690
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard
    I dig mine just fine so far... have a couple issues with it, which I'll get into on my blog at a later date when I've ridden it a bit more...

https://jerryhazard.com/archives/690

go give who ever took this picture (assuming this is you) a hi five. SICK shot

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly32
    go give who ever took this picture (assuming this is you) a hi five. SICK shot
    Thanks! (it is me)

That would be my neighbor/riding friend Rich. We set the shot up together (my camera), but he's the one who framed it and pulled the trigger. Usually I use the timer or a remote for self portraits, but he did a sick job. He needs a camera!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

my fun has a hurting
    two things:
    1) 19 is a kid still. you just don't realize it because you are 19.

2) airborne is owned by American Sports Design, which is a subsidiary of Huffy. Basically they managed to pick up a shitload of frames a year or two ago that were too high end to sell as huffies and they created the airborne brand to support them. now that the brand is doing well they are actually taking the time and expense build a decent, if entry level, product.
    Last edited by cdburch; 05-09-2011 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typos

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thanks! (it is me)

That would be my neighbor/riding friend Rich. We set the shot up together (my camera), but he's the one who framed it and pulled the trigger. Usually I use the timer or a remote for self portraits, but he did a sick job. He needs a camera!

i'd say. ..

and cdburch i'm not trying to be an A$$ i'm just saying ( regarding your comment , i dont know how to multi quote) what difference does it make who owns the co. that gets your money when you buy these bikes.

i talked to Eric at airborne today for a good half hour. basically what these are, are slightly mod'd iron horse bikes designs. i'm gettin mine on thursday and i'm gunna jump the sob to the moon and then ride it back down

my fun has a hurting
    i think you missed the point i was making. i was trying to end the "are they really randall scott in disguise" rumor mill discussion. not making any sort of value judgement on them being part of huffy.

mtbr member
    Thanks! (it is me)

I missed that pic... that's awesome!

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by toddre
    I missed that pic... that's awesome!
    Thanks Todd!
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I've been doing a lot of research on getting my first DH rig and Airborne made an impression on me a while back as far as price goes ($1500), but I was also noticing ads for used Yakuzas as well including the used rentals from Mt. Snow ($750), so I was comparing since it's pretty much the same bike with slight component variations. Obviously the Mt. Snow rigs are used, professionally maintained rentals, but since you've ridden both rigs (the rental Yakuza from/at Mt. Snow and the Taka), how do they compare as far as components go (mainly suspension)? And what would you say the condition of the rental rigs are/were?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    bdowns- (and everyone else)

At this point, I have ridden my taka a lot. I"ve been to Mt. Snow a few times and did some good riding. I went with my brother, who rented the yakuza dh bike. I brought my taka, and we took turns switching bikes to test the difference. The taka definitely feels better, smoother etc, and feels like it handles better even though they are basically the same frame. Maybe its the wider tires.

As for the used yakuza rentals at mt. snow, they definitely feel used, but are professionally maintained so they are in pretty decent condition. If I was in the market for a used dh bike, I would not have a problem buying one.

The suspension on the yakuza ( at least the one we rented) felt dead. The rear shock would handle the bigger hits well, but was not very responsive on the small bumps. The bike also had a slightly heavier feel to it than the taka.

On the other hand, the taka's suspension felt very responsive on the small bumps, yet handled the big hits equally as well as the yakuza, but probably better because of the better components. (Marzocchi roco r on the taka, and a manitou 4-way swinger on the yakuza)

The taka's 888 RV fork felt similar in comparison to the yakuza's marzocchi super T. The 888 was both small bump sensitive and big hit capable, as opposed to the not so responsive super T fork on the yakuza.

If you want to buy a used yakuza dh rental from snow, go for it. For $750, its still an unbeatable deal, and a simple rear shock upgrade would make a huge difference in the feel.

I bought the taka because it was a good deal on pretty good suspension components and has the same durable single pivot frame as the yakuza.

I'm on a train now and my stop is coming up so I gotta go, but I'll answer any questions about the taka later.

CoolArrow
    $750 is a great price to get a complete dh rig for, but I'd be skeptical about buying used from a resort. Even if they are kept up well, those bikes suffer immense amounts of abuse, and age a lot faster than say your own personal ride.

I've been abusing my Taka since late May I think. Angelfire, Telluride, Purgatory, and local secret shuttle runs. It's holding up fine, the only things really wearing on it are the tires and brake pads. Had a little issue with bushings on the rear shock, but a quick contact to Airborne solved it - and in a precipitous manner I might add.

The rear shock lacks a compression setting, which is not really a big deal, especially not for an entry level rider. I've upgraded my to a Roco Coil WC model though. The fork is not super plush, but it eats up big hits nicely, and keeps me on track through the chatter.

Bottom bracket height is good, I get very few pedal strikes or hang-ups, and though the steering could be a bit more relaxed, it's sufficient and I can still pin it when the trail or cajones permit.

One thing to measure against in the used vs. new: On the used bike, you get used brakes and shoes, bearings, pivot bearings, tires, tubes, grips. They may be in "good condition", but not as good as "NEW" on the Taka. You're likely to start replacing things on the used IH bike long before the new Taka... Hope that helps a bit...
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Greetings,

After pondering the many options out there, I now am waiting on my 19" Taka which should be here tommorrow.

I'm getting back into biking after about a 20 year hiatus (fatherhood, career, etc.) and purchased a low end XC bike which wouldn't break the bank.

After a few afternoons riding down the local ski hill, I was struck just how much the prinicples that are used in skiing can translate over to biking. It was immediately apparent how important geometry is to performance and that my XC was not up to the kind of riding I really would like to be doing.

At my age (44) it's pretty exciting to be challenged by something new and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. I've found this forum to me to be immensely helpful as a resource and want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and stoke.

Really, my biggest fear is that this new challenge may become a little too much of an obsession. But I guess it's healthier than gambling or porn.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Horse View Post
    Greetings,

At my age (44) it's pretty exciting to be challenged by something new and I think I'm really going to enjoy it. I've found this forum to me to be immensely helpful as a resource and want to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge and stoke.

Really, my biggest fear is that this new challenge may become a little too much of an obsession. But I guess it's healthier than gambling or porn.
    Turning 43 in a month, I know how you feel... literally. But I don't know if DH is healthier than porn. Haha!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Airborne is basically a IronHorse Yakuza copy..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rswitz View Post
    I'm a skier and I've been to most places in the Vermont/New Hapshire area, some places in New York, but I've never been to White Face. Not sure why, I just never skied there, though I here its pretty intense. I'd love to go downhilling there this summer, among other places. So far I've only downhill biked at Mt. Snow, and rented an Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho which I really liked. Thats part of the reason why I got the Airborne Taka because its pretty much the same frame. But yeah I really want to ride a bunch of places this summer, money/time permitting. (I'm a college student so those two things are pretty scarce haha)

New dh bike, driving distance to a big mt and a broke college student.
    Dude, Whiteface is perfect for you. Bring a friend and take advantage of our Bike n Stay deals. Heck bring 3 friends and your lodging and breakfast is super cheap. $47.25 for your room, breakfast and lift ticket.

So I guess we will be seeing you at The Face and congrats on your new rig!
    www.downhillmike.com is the official web site for the Whiteface Mt. Bike Park.
    Downhill Mike
    Whiteface Mountain Bike Park
    www.downhillmike.com
    Open 7 days a week!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ron m. View Post
    Turning 43 in a month, I know how you feel... literally. But I don't know if DH is healthier than porn. Haha!
    Well, I guess most everything is OK in moderation. But the risk of a nasty Carpal Tunnel Syndrome accident has to be less with DH biking....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    At my age (44) it's pretty exciting to be challenged by something new and I think I'm really going to enjoy it.
    turning 43 this year, so I can relate. Just make sure to have the right amount of protection. I found out on my second day after getting a full body armor which saved me from having serious damage/broken ribs (got away with dislocated finger) as we don't bounce back like the 'invinsible' youngster that wear nothing but jeans and a helmet (because they require it).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumesny View Post
    turning 43 this year, so I can relate. Just make sure to have the right amount of protection. I found out on my second day after getting a full body armor which saved me from having serious damage/broken ribs (got away with dislocated finger) as we don't bounce back like the 'invinsible' youngster that wear nothing but jeans and a helmet (because they require it).
    We should start a thread.... entitled "40-something Noobs" ... Haha!

Gotta say, it's not the pain that holds me back... it's more about the thought of being out of work, being off the bike, being a burden to the family, that kind of thing. Ahh... the drawbacks of perspective.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Gotta say, it's not the pain that holds me back... it's more about the thought of being out of work, being off the bike, being a burden to the family, that kind of thing. Ahh... the drawbacks of perspective.
    couln't agree more about the being off the bike thing. i just wrecked my taka about 2 weeks ago. i'm almost in riding condition again and my new parts should be here in a day or so lol

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Do you know how to adjust Rear shock (Marzocchi Roco R Coil-Over).
    Rear shock is too soft and I want to make it stiffer.

thanks
    Last edited by e2kkot; 07-19-2011 at 01:27 PM. Reason: mistake

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Smile Reflectors

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    Looks great! Now do two things:

1. Take off those reflectors.
    2. Go out there and get it dirty~!

Jeremy
    Totally agree!

reflectors make it look like a family bike - totally gay!

Great Review
    Thanks

try and catch me
    Mar 2011
    nice ride. hope you got some hardcore terrain. put the bike to its potential

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Good review and nice looking bike...

mtbr member

What happened and what are the damages? (if it isn't too painful to recount)

Yeah, a 40 something noob thread would be a good a really good thread. I have a fused C5-C7 that I always try to keep in mind when ever I do anything that assumes physical risk. Other than that, I've managed to give myself a chance to wear down my body at a later date.

Bike is here BTW, looks awesome. I'm going to abstain until after I finish some grown-up duties at work.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by e2kkot View Post
    Do you know how to adjust Rear shock (Marzocchi Roco R Coil-Over).
    Rear shock is too soft and I want to make it stiffer.

thanks
    not compleatly sure cuz i haven't done too many adjustments yet on mine.... kinda just been breaking it in. but i do believe you can just add some air to it. i hear its a pain in the @$$ tho.

but like i said i havent really done too much tuning yet

mtbr member
    What happened and what are the damages? (if it isn't too painful to recount)

Yeah, a 40 something noob thread would be a good a really good thread. I have a fused C5-C7 that I always try to keep in mind when ever I do anything that assumes physical risk. Other than that, I've managed to give myself a chance to wear down my body at a later date.

Bike is here BTW, looks awesome. I'm going to abstain until after I finish some grown-up duties at work.
    Sprained shoulder and concussion after a hard crash going OTB off a 3 ft lipped ramp (less than 2 months ago). Bad technique, new wide bars contributed... weight too much forward and no time to level the bike. Still some pain after all that time...

Took two weeks off the bike, XCed for another week and then slowly built my balls back up. Bought a full armor since then, learning to ride flats and as luck would have it, a really good deal on a DH bike. See this thread:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=720590

Yep, we seem to heal SO MUCH SLOWER. Oh well... life.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilly32 View Post
    not compleatly sure cuz i haven't done too many adjustments yet on mine.... kinda just been breaking it in. but i do believe you can just add some air to it. i hear its a pain in the @$$ tho.

but like i said i havent really done too much tuning yet
    You can get a replacement spring for ~$30-40. I ordered a 2.75X600 Cane Creek replacement spring (I'm a clydesdale) from mybiketinley.com. I think it was $30ish.
    The bike came with a 400# spring.

mtbr member
    Sprained shoulder and concussion after a hard crash going OTB off a 3 ft lipped ramp (less than 2 months ago). Bad technique, new wide bars contributed... weight too much forward and no time to level the bike. Still some pain after all that time...

Took two weeks off the bike, XCed for another week and then slowly built my balls back up. Bought a full armor since then, learning to ride flats and as luck would have it, a really good deal on a DH bike. See this thread:

Yep, we seem to heal SO MUCH SLOWER. Oh well... life.
    Thanks for the insight. If it's any consolation, your pain serves as a lesson for others

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

46 this year and my second season of downhilling. Not as much as I would like and don't have a downhill rig yet. Using my GT Force 2.0 was looking around at used and figured I could get a deal maybe in the winter time. Stumbled on the Airborne site today and might be a possibility.

Bob

CoolArrow
    43 and 9 months now...

Been hammering the Taka for about 5 months, love it. Just put an angleset in to slow the steering down a a bit, and wow what a difference. Bike is even better. Still using the stock 888 fork but have Roco WC on the back, its a bit more sensitive to the chatter at speeds. Holds its own on the race course or freeriding:

Random chute riding in Green River, Utah

Mountain States Cup race @ Telluride, Colorado
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

problem with suspension design

First of all I have an 05 IH Yakusa kumicho, which I beleive is the same frame (minus tab mount found in 07+ and shorter stroke shock with slightly different mount point) but would apply to the Taka as well.

Put your bike on hard pavement, lock both brakes and jump up/down on your suspention. Mine barely moves. Now release your brakes and you get very plush feel (rear shock with Roco WC air, front is '10 boxxer on mine). I compaired that to my other bike (DW suspension Ibis Mojo carbon) and it is just about as plush with or without braking. That's a suspension design !
    I also get tons of pedal bob on mine, although others mention little on this bike (8" single pivot ?) so who knows...

Last weekend at Northstar (very rocky, rought terrain, other than livewire which is a jumping track) I demoed their Giant glory 1 and the difference was very obvious to me. I always felt the bike felt like a jack hammer on rought downhills (better with Roco WC shock, than original one), and sure enough you can't break and have a suspension at the same time !

curious to see if others try my simple test and see...

mtbr member

Not a suspension flaw, just the way it is

I like the test, thats basically demonstrating that suspension stiffens on single pivot designs when braking. Same thing on the Santa Cruz Heckler, Bullit, etc, etc.. Not meaning to sound rude, but thats one of the known drawbacks of that supension type. Every suspension type has its pluses ans minuses. DW is expensive, and in a very general sense it has higher maintenance than a simple single pivot. The simple single pivot is part of what made the iron horse and this version more affordable.
    Last edited by dansMTB; 09-09-2011 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dansMTB View Post
    The simple single pivot is part of what made the iron horse and this version more affordable.
    yeah, but people new to DH need to be aware of how much a difference a single pivot like these bikes makes - especially since you tend to be on your brakes all the time when new, which makes the bike feel stiff and hammers your body. As you get better and not brake much, then maybe not so much an issue.

Also udge pedal bob (at least on mine) which is no fun. Maestro on the glory, which is so similar to DW link they got sued if I recall, felt instantly better - no comparaison for me. I've been looking at used Sunday or 7Pt to keep that DW feel for DH as well, but hey are hard to find.

All I'm saying is rather than spend $1500 on a new low bike like the Taka, you're better off getting a better suspension bike used for close to that price. Nothing wrong with a used Yakusa/Taka to get started and see if DH will stick (what I did) as the $800 entry point is still good money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

For sale

Hey guys,

I'm selling the Airborne Taka now. (The one pictured in this thread) Only because I've got no time/place to ride it being in college. Heres the link if your interested. Its in excellent condition.

2011 Airborne Taka, Medium 17", Same as Iron Horse Yakuza - Pinkbike.com

Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
    Just askin... I'm 16 and weigh 130, and am technically underweight. Then again I don't know how tall you are...

An anglset would probably help, may wanna look into one...
    That's because there's nothing to eat in Nevada but tumble weeds and scorpions!
    The guy yo' momma "act" like she don't know!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dowst View Post

I am not taking sides here, but that is one of the funniest responses I have read on this forum.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hey guys, Im a just getting into downhill mountain biking aswel and am trying to learn all i can before going out and spending big bucks on a rig. The Taka seems like a great deal for the price in comparison to others DH bikes i've seen and was wondering if anyone had any critics on Giant Glory's? I've found a 2008 Giant glory 1 for about 200 more dollars than a brand new Taka and other than being a frame from 2008 I was wondering if anyone had any reviews on the Giant?
    Giant Glory 1 - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!
    Heres where i found the glory along with a list of its specs. Thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by GNO123 View Post
    Hey guys, Im a just getting into downhill mountain biking aswel and am trying to learn all i can before going out and spending big bucks on a rig. The Taka seems like a great deal for the price in comparison to others DH bikes i've seen and was wondering if anyone had any critics on Giant Glory's? I've found a 2008 Giant glory 1 for about 200 more dollars than a brand new Taka and other than being a frame from 2008 I was wondering if anyone had any reviews on the Giant?
    Giant Glory 1 - Wheel World Bike Shops - Road Bikes, Mountain Bikes, Bicycle Parts and Accessories. Parts & Bike Closeouts!
    Heres where i found the glory along with a list of its specs. Thanks
    Get the glory, it's a good deal. You must a pretty small person though, that frame is x-small.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    If you're getting into this, get a used bike, especially if you're tight. let someone else take the 40% hit the moment you hit he dirt...

As for suspension, that 08 model is the much heavier model vs now but I would take the maestro design over the Taka single pivot (jack hammer when braking - I know I had an IH Yakusa Kumicho which is the original version, which I sold) any time. I demoed the new Glory at N* and felt I had to use a DW (or maestro) design like I've been using on Trail bikes... Taka you either have an active suspension or braking, but not both (lock the brakes and jump up/down while on pavement to see the difference - night and day vs DW bikes I have).

mtbr member
    May 2012
    If i were to change up the juicy 3's on the taka would brake jack still be an issue? or would i change forks?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    New brakes or a new fork won't fix the brake jack with the Taka. It's due to the single-pivot suspension design. Without a new frame I think you're stuck with what you have.

CoolArrow
    "brake jack" is a characteristic of *almost* all single pivot designs - you can't avoid it by changing your brakes, shock or fork.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard – website

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    it's techincally squat and not jack...and lots of faster riders prefer it because it keeps the geometry more balanced heading into corners. Brake jack is the death sentence of a suspension design. Brake squat can be used for good.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Got it thanks guys, think im gunna go with the Giant.

mtbr member
    So is it brake jack or squat and is it what is happening when I've launched myself over the handlebars?

This is actually a serious question. I've managed to eject 4 times (2 times in one run!) in one week. FWIW, it's been me over-reacting to obstacles while traveling at speed through the grassy flats at the bottom of otherwise sucessful downhill runs.

Always in front of witness too Armor has helped, but it still hurts.

mtbr member
    dup post sorry

mtbr member
    Is your fork too soft? Is it possible your grabbing handfuls of brake on both levers and your front is diving? if your fork tucks, you'll feel like the rear sus is bucking you, but the issue is with the fork being too soft.

Try this. Put your travel o-ring (zip tie or whatever) all the way down on the fork. Start riding down the road at a good clip without getting your fork bouncing too much. Then slam the brakes (in a safe way). Once you stop, check the o-ring to see how much your fork dived into its travel from braking.

Edit: corrected terrible speeeling

Members who have read this thread: 0