Airborne taka?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Airborne taka?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Airborne taka?

I saw how cheap this bike was and was wondering if anybody had experience with it. How does it handle? is it worth getting or is there another dh bike that is complete for less than 3 grand worth getting instead?

Slap happy crappiness
    It's a rebranded Iron Horse Yakuza. Fine for an entry level DH bike.
    Here's a sh!t show of a thread about it.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/downhill-free...ew-694570.html
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I love my taka. It is a great beginner bike.

Greg Rides Trails: Airborne Taka Mountain Bike Review

^
    some more info

CoolArrow
    My take on the Taka is here:

Taka Review, by Jerry Hazard

And yeah, I'm one of those Flight Crew dudes; they flowed one to me and I rode it all last season on trails all over the southwest - out of bounds shuttles, Angelfire, Telluride, Moab, Northstar and Mammoth. It held up and performed great, a great intro bike for those that want to give downhill a try. Hard to beat at the price.

A few minutes worth of video in Telluride:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28093941" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="309" width="550"></iframe>
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have one and its getting the job done.....quite a bit of brake jack....last season was my first, gonna upgrade it half during this season.

FIRST THING FIRST.....BUY NEW BRAKES

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jhazard View Post
    My take on the Taka is here:

Taka Review, by Jerry Hazard

And yeah, I'm one of those Flight Crew dudes; they flowed one to me and I rode it all last season on trails all over the southwest - out of bounds shuttles, Angelfire, Telluride, Moab, Northstar and Mammoth. It held up and performed great, a great intro bike for those that want to give downhill a try. Hard to beat at the price.

A few minutes worth of video in Telluride:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/28093941" webkitallowfullscreen="" mozallowfullscreen="" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="309" width="550"></iframe>
    ya i rode telluride last summer on a 5 inch travel bike and was pretty limited on how hard i could bomb it. it looks sick, but what upgrades do you have on the bike?

CoolArrow
    Quote Originally Posted by 00shocker View Post
    ya i rode telluride last summer on a 5 inch travel bike and was pretty limited on how hard i could bomb it. it looks sick, but what upgrades do you have on the bike?

For last season, not a lot. Azonic 420 pedals. Direct mount stem, Raceface Atlas bars, plastic bmx seat, lizard skins grips, dual ply tires. That's about it. Around September, I added a Cane Creek Angleset, which makes a HUGE difference. Should have done that first, but really, it's pretty capable right out of the box.

For this year, I changed the x7 long cage to SRAM Rival road deraileur with a 12-28 cog, 36t ring up front and x9 shifter. Sunline V1 bars, SDG I Beam seat and saddle, CST BFT tires. Still rockin the Avid Juicy's, went through 3 sets of pads last year, but to fair, I used up one set at the 12 hour race in Telluride.
    Cool BandolArrow

Jerry Hazard website

mtbr member
    Aka Iron Horse Yakuza Kumicho

"It's an amazingly fun and involving bike that you just can't help but love." 4/5 reviewed in 2006.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    nice video!

Members who have read this thread: 0