Airborne Taka- Mtbr.com

Thread: Airborne Taka

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

New question here. Airborne Taka

I just ordered an Airborne Taka as my first DH rig. For $1400, you can't beat it for a new bike. Honestly, it looks like an amazing bike with really good specs. Its the same frame as the old Iron Horse Kumicho, and it has an 888 200mm double crown in the front, and a zocchi Roco R coil over in the rear. Frame is a single pivot with 8 inches of travel, just like the Yakuza. It looks really fun to ride. My question is, how will the plushness/ride quality be on this single pivot vs DW links and other multiple pivot point and linkage bikes? I'm not into actual racing, but will still beat the hell out of it. I'm hoping that the Taka will be really smooth over fast small bumps, and the rough stuff. I won't really be doing big drops or jumps, but I still want it to be able to take big hits. So, how will the single pivot design on the Airborne Taka hold up?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    You will love this bike!!! Not the best shock out there, but once you dial in the spring rate for your weight the ride is great. I've been riding the Iron Horse version for 6 years, and she's still runnin strong. Actually all my bikes are IH single pivots ( Warrior, Aniki, Kumicho) and they all use the same pivot hardware. I buy new bearings locally for 4 bucks, and if you need any other hardware these guys have them. http://www.licycleworx.com/product_p/mp-ih.htm Any other questions just let me know. FWIW...my Kumicho feels way more plush than my Sunday.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    A friend of mine picked one up last year and for the DH terrain he runs, it fits the bill. The only beef he has with it is the lack of adjustability with the forks. I think it's great that a new to the sport person can pick up lower priced rides like the Taka and the Sett'e Vexx. Have fun with it!

Ricky DH
    Have you people learned nothing?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    what are you talking about?

Ricky DH
    We here on MTBR have the attention span of gnats. We need photos.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    oh ok haha thats true. Nice looking bike eh? Especially for a single pivot.

mtbr member
    Congrats, man. I'm also looking at this bike (after seeing it in the recent MBA copy). Give us a report on how it rides (plus weight, etc). I've read that she's about 47 lbs... a bit heavy for my taste, but hell, if she makes up for it with confidence, I'd pedal it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job! Taka Weight

Hi guys, and glad you're interested in our bikes. The 17" Taka we have here weighs 42 pounds without pedals. Hope this helps. Full spec is available here.

You may also be interested to know that Jimmy Mac is doing a whole User Experience review on the bike for MBA's June issue. (He mentioned that on their site yesterday so I guess it's OK to talk about.)

Glad to Be Alive
    supposely when you ride it helps fights colds and was developed by a school teacher

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SHIVER ME TIMBERS
    supposely when you ride it helps fights colds and was developed by a school teacher
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^Statement has not been verified by the FDA ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    tankpro.org
    IMBA National Mountain Bike Patrol
    southernkettles.org

mtbr member
    Isn't that an old Iron Horse Yakuza?

mtbr member
    yep, same bike. I always thought for a cheep DH bike they feel good with good geo and they don't weigh a ton either. My yakuza does the job for me and it came out to a hair under 41lbs.
    1ST RATE Earnest Borgnine-Ethel Merman erotic nudes!óDANGó Ethel was WAY hairier

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    SHIVER ME TIMBERS: ROFL.

dankist4x4: : We tried to think up some improvements but couldn't come up with any (except for updating the components).But we've been working on some stuff for post-2012...

Glad to Be Alive
    Quote Originally Posted by Airborne_Bikes
    Hi guys, and glad you're interested in our bikes. The 17" Taka we have here weighs 42 pounds without pedals. Hope this helps. Full spec is available here.

You may also be interested to know that Jimmy Mac is doing a whole User Experience review on the bike for MBA's June issue. (He mentioned that on their site yesterday so I guess it's OK to talk about.)

...looks lighter...but 42 without pedals....so you are saying 45 pounds...yikes

GAME ON!
    45# for $1400 = 35# for $3800

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I had the Ironhorse version (Yakuza Kumicho) for 2 years, I weight 205 lbs and I beat the hell out of that bike and loved it all along. It is an indestructible tank. The build on the Kumicho was a little different (Fox Van R shock), but I CAN tell you that it is, FOR SURE, the BEST bike you can buy at that price to get you into the sport. Now I own a more expensive and complex ride but without the Kumicho I would have never entered the sport.
    Don't worry about the single pivot, it is simple and great. As a suspension engineer myself I really think virtual pivots and all those complex designs are just marketing strategies to hook people that buy all that stuff. You CAN definitely accomplish your suspension goals and performance with a single pivot, but it is not that cool for people and doesn't sound that complicated so they think it is worse. I have a virtual pivot bike now and I can tell you it is no magic and feels no different, the difference is in the motion ratios for the shock/spring.
    To me, what really matters is bike geometry (including rider position) and spring ratios (specially balance between front and rear), and spring/damper curve (motion ratios).

My personal recommendation it that you get your spring rates right for your weight (my Kumicho, for example, was too soft on the front related to the rear and that sucks), and you get a widebar (mine came with 710mm bar which is a bit short for DH), with a wider bar you will feel incredibly better.

Also, the 888 RV is a bit short on adjustability (only slow speed rebound and without clicks) BUT, when you are learning you don't (or should not) be changing much stuff on the suspension, its better to set rebound in the middle (too fast and you won't be able to point the bike to the line you want) and practice so you become a better rider. The 888 takes EVERYTING you throw at it, I bottomed it more than 15 really painful times and it is still running smooth for the new owner, it is really smooth, small bump sensitive, and very reliable. It is also veeeeeeeery simple to service.

Don't worry about the bike, you will love it, just get the spring ratios right and get a better bar and you will see.

orange617
    Hi guys, anybody knows where i can get RD hangers for the taka? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

mtbr member
    FYI, to make the opening of the RD hanger fit the 12mm rear axle size, you may need to lightly file the opening of the hanger out with a small rat-tail file.

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

orange617
    awesome guys, thanks a bunch...cant find it at airborne website and dont know which way to go...appreciate it so much for taking the time to answer my question in a quickie...thanks for the headsup BigDaddyFlyer...will pre-fit first so everything fits right...cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by orange617 View Post
    awesome guys, thanks a bunch...cant find it at airborne website and dont know which way to go...appreciate it so much for taking the time to answer my question in a quickie...thanks for the headsup BigDaddyFlyer...will pre-fit first so everything fits right...cheers
    We work with derailleurhanger.com to ensure they have part#'s for all of our RD hangers, for past and present models, on their site:

Airborne Derailleur Hangers

We have hangers in stock for most of our current bikes, but don't stock them anymore on any of our older bikes.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy
    Please Note: I no longer work for Airborne. If you have an Airborne question or problem please contact them directly.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Just for anyone else that is curious, Wheels Mfg also makes hangers for our bikes, including the 77 for the taka. Just grabbed one for my seeker so know they have them in stock as well.

Derailleur Hanger Manufacturers Search

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skyphix View Post
    Just for anyone else that is curious, Wheels Mfg also makes hangers for our bikes, including the 77 for the taka. Just grabbed one for my seeker so know they have them in stock as well.

Derailleur Hanger Manufacturers Search
    I believe they are the same company, if you look closely at the derailleurhanger.com website you see that their hangers come from Wheels Mfg. Nice group of guys, they just helped us out of a jam recently on a project.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    I believe they are the same company, if you look closely at the derailleurhanger.com website you see that their hangers come from Wheels Mfg. Nice group of guys, they just helped us out of a jam recently on a project.

Jeremy
    Cool to know... had no idea they were the same company. The derailleur I just got is black and a slightly revised design over the one that came on the bike. Sound right?

mtbr member
    The ones they make usually look slightly different than the stock ones, they will fit and *generally* be better quality over the stock hangers from most companies. I think a lot of theirs are CNC'd versus cast.

Jeremy

orange617
    My Taka AM Rig...
    Rockshox Domain RC Coil-180mm
    FSA The Big Fat Pig HS-1.5"
    Gravity Gap Stem-1.5"
    FSA DH/SS Chainring-32T
    VP Components Platform Pedals
    Spank Locking Grips V.2.

Airborne Taka-p9210019.jpg

Airborne Taka-p9210007.jpg

Airborne Taka-p9210021.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyFlyer View Post
    We work with derailleurhanger.com to ensure they have part#'s for all of our RD hangers, for past and present models, on their site:

Airborne Derailleur Hangers

We have hangers in stock for most of our current bikes, but don't stock them anymore on any of our older bikes.

Hope that helps!

Jeremy

My taka has a 12mm rear axel and the number 77 hanger has 10mm spacing., this makes me a sad panda

mtbr member
    It fits.

If you have a nice small rat-tail file and about 10 minutes of spare time.

I've had to do the same on my own Taka in the past. Cake.

Jeremy

mtbr member
    Awesome thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0