Airborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Listen! Airborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan! **For SALE**

8/22/16 Bike is now for sale!
    UPDATE: Bike sold 8/29/16 @ 24.4lb w/ Crest wheels, kept getting lighter as I went haha. It'll be missed, but a FS is awesome on the rooty/rocky technical trails I ride! So long Airborne, I'll definitely recommend Airborne to my friends looking to get into the sport but I hope you expand your product line by Spring with an XC/Trail FS.

So I ordered a Seeker the second they came in stock Monday 7/27, but still haven't got a tracking number. It supposedly shipped Friday and I'm concerned about missing the FedEx guy. We'll see... I'm trying to be patient considering the excellent deal!

My plan is to make this 29er lighter than my previous Cannondale 26" (27.8lb). I will weigh the whole bike, before and after, and all components I swap to hopefully help guide others. Also, I'm trying to do this for only $100 or so after selling the OE parts.

So far I have the below lonely parts waiting in a big pile:
    FSA carbon 0 setback post
    Orbea carbon riser bars
    FSA carbon stem spacers
    Race face 60mm stem
    WTB ST i23 on XT hubs wheelset
    Wellgo MG-3 platforms
    WTB speedV saddle (not light but it's what I like)
    Magura MTS brake set (may keep the new DB1 brakes since they replaced the mediocre Elixirs)
    Forte Pisgah/Tsali F/R tires
    I'll be going tubeless with Orange Seal, stans tape, stans valve
    Neoprene/kevlar chainstay protector

Stay tuned for updates!

Update 8/5:
    I finally got a tracking number after surely annoying them a bit. I'm a little disappointed that I was told it was shipping Friday but it didn't actually ship until yesterday (tues). It's easy to play Monday morning QB, but Airborne should go with the motto "under promise, over deliver". 1.5 weeks to get it out the door is excessive. Thankfully, fedex says it should still be here by Saturday!

Update 8/8:
    Anxiously waiting for FedEx. Saw a small FedEx van but that wasn't the one. I have a pile of parts ready to go! (Yeti excluded haha)

Update 8/8: It's Arrived!!!

Bike got here just before noon and I ripped into the box immediately. As I opened the box I noticed the new Vee XCV tires and DB1 brakes that were mentioned on fb. It was all packed well, no damage aside from a cable housing that was crushed but still functional.

I assembled the bike as is for the sake of weighing it. My medium Seeker weighed 29.8lbs as it comes w/o pedals, about 1lb heavier than I've found posted elsewhere. After weighing, I began swapping all of my upgrades while weighing each piece for reference's sake.

I had a used 19mm wide 1850g wheelset that I won on ebay, but came across a great deal on a new WTB ST i23 on XT hubs wheelset advertised as 1940g so I decided to suck up the 100g weight penalty. Unfortunately, when I got the wheels and weighed them, they were a whopping 2371g. I really like them so I decided to keep them, gave them some stans tape, and installed my Forte Pisgah/Tsali tires with tubes temporarily to help ensure to tape sticks (a trick I read about here). I'll pull the tubes and go tubeless sometime during the week.

Adjusting the derailleurs took me a little bit of time while watching youtube videos to walk me through it. The brakes also needed to be aligned. Hulk must have installed the rear caliper but the caliper mount wasn't even tight. Everything else seemed solid and gave me no second thought about taking it to an LBS. If you have common sense, know your limits, have basic tools, and general DIY know-how, you can assemble a bike with little trouble.

After getting everything together, I rode it up and down the street before taking it up to my local easy 3.2mi trail.

I did not hit my 25lb goal because the bike was 1lb heavier than I thought and my wheels ended up being a 1lb heavier than I initially planned. So my Seeker weighs 27.05lb(once I pull the tubes), which is still 1lb lighter than my old 2009 Cannondale F4Z 26".
    I'm very happy with my purchase, despite the shipping/communication issues we're all experiencing. I even got a couple compliments on the bike after my ride. I'm glad I went with the 18" because I hate the look of the bent top tube on the 16", the ETT length is near perfect especially with a 60mm stem (could probably go 80mm), and while standover is a bit tall I can still stand flatfooted if i move "the boys" over to the side.

Update 8/16:
    I went 1x10! The 36T was too tall for me since I'm not a very strong climber and the 22T is way too small. I don't like having to constantly shift between my front rings and I found myself doing it constantly out on the trail. I went with a RaceFace narrow-wide 32T and am sticking with the OE X5 rear derailleur. I contemplated a 30T but on my ride today I only had to use the 36T twice, and on the high end I got up to the 13T on a flat fireroad-like section which is rare around here. So far I really like the 1x10; No dropped chains, no chain guide or clutched derailleur. I'm going to stick with the 32T unless I find myself need more low end, but hopefully I'll build my leg strength up more before I get to that point.
    Removing the front shifter, derailleur, 36T, 22T, and 22T ring's bolts I dropped 390g, or 0.86lb! Component weights have been added to the lists below.
    I also finally swapped out the DB1 brakes for the Magura MTS set I had laying around. I didn't have any issues with the DB1's, but just like the MTS's better due to lever shape and decreased likelihood of rubbing issues. I'm now sitting at 25.82lb.

Edit 9/13/15: After 3 weeks of riding a few different trails in the area, I find myself in the larger end of the cassette more often than not and have never hit the 11T or even spun quickly on the 13T. I have found myself on a handful of occasions, either when gassed or on days that I just don't have a ton of energy, where I wanted another gear on climbs. Therefore, I just bought a 30T RF NW, in orange for some bling . I'll keep the 32T just in case, but I think I see why most factory 1x drivetrains I've seen have a 30T for 29er's.

Installing the 30T was pretty simple. I kept searching around to see if I'd need new bolts for the 30T on an X5 crank, but couldn't find anything definitive, so I just waited until it arrived and went for it. Thankfully, the OE 22T bolts worked perfectly! So 32T or larger, use the OE big ring bolts, 30T use the OE small ring bolts. Only took it for a spin around the neighborhood with my fiance', but I suspect this will be the perfect gearing range for me. Should I ever find myself wanting more top end, it's only a 15min job to swap out to the 32T. Still no dropped chains using the X5 rear Der and no chain guide.

Also, I think I forgot to mention here that I got a custom wheelset built. I was disappointed that my ST i23/XT set was a full pound heavier than advertised, so I found some excellent deals on components and sold the heavier set locally. I went with Frequency Race i23 rims, BHS hubs, and Sapim Race DB spokes. This set came out to 2050g incl Stan's tape and stems, and best part is it only ran be a touch under $350!

Upgrade/accessory weights
    18" Seeker bone stock, no pedals 29.8lb
    FSA SLK carbon 0 setback post 235g
    Orbea carbon riser bars 194g
    FSA carbon stem spacers 35mm 18g
    RaceFace Ride 60mm stem 150g
    WTB ST i23 on XT hubs wheelset 1093g/1278g F/R
    Wellgo MG-3 platforms w/o reflectors 293g
    WTB speedV saddle (not light but it's what I like) 362g
    Magura MTS brake set (trying the new DB1 brakes) 485g
    Forte Pisgah/Tsali F/R 29x2.2" tires 665g/620g
    Stans valves 9g ea
    Neoprene/kevlar chainstay protector 15g
    Mavic QR skewer 59g
    Mavic 15mm to 9mm adapters 6g/pair
    Complete ST i23/XT wheel tubeless w/ skewer, tire, disc, cassette etc F/R 1934g/2506g
    RaceFace NW 32T 39g
    Magura MTS brake set 485g
    RaceFace NW 30T 37g
    WTB Frequency Race i23 on BHS/Bitex hubs Sapim Race spokes 974g/1076g F/R

OE weights:
    Airborme 20mm setback post 347g
    Airborme alloy riser bars 276g
    Alloy stem spacers 33g
    Airborme 100mm stem 138g
    Weinnman Disc Double Bull 24mm wheels (no disc/cassette/skewers) 1169g/1359g F/R
    Kenda 1.9-2.3" tubes 230g ea/avg
    Selle San Marco saddle 265g
    Avid DB1 brakes ?? will weigh when/if I swap
    Avid 160mm rotor 116g
    6 torx rotor bolts 13g (same as the SS hex bolts I swapped)
    Vee Rubber XCV wire bead dual compound 29x2.25" 857g ea
    Rubber rim strip 31g ea
    OE QR skewer 57g ea
    WTB grips & end caps 85g
    SRAM PG1030 11-36 cassette 392g
    Plastic disc behind cassette 21g
    Complete OE wheel w/ skewer, tire, tube, disc, cassette etc F/R 2402g/3070g (saved 2.27lb with my wheels but could shave another lb still!)
    SRAM 36T front cog 69g
    SRAM 22T front cog 37g
    chainring bolts for 22T cog 11g
    X5 crankset 677g
    X5 front shifter and derailleur 312g
    SRAM DB1 brakeset F/R 322g/333g
    Last edited by Jerz_subbie; 08-31-2016 at 05:32 AM.

mtbr member
    I hear you on the status update, I ordered a Hobgoblin frame on the 30th, just sent an email requesting the same info.. I hate fedex..

I have my seeker down to 24 lbs, light bicycle carbon wheels, x9 hub set, specialized ground controls 2bliss 2.1R/2.3F, carbon bars ($30 on Amazon), carbon spacers, 60mm specialized mtb stem, specialized body geometry grips, x7type2 rd, xo crankset 1x10 and Deity pedals... The frame,seat post, saddle, brakes and forks are stock.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Diamondback Insight ( on the trainer )
    Evo Vantage 7.0

Ludicrous Speed
    I like the looks of those Body Geometry grips! I will probably put those on my Airborne if it ever shows up!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tualmbr View Post
    I like the looks of those Body Geometry grips! I will probably put those on my Airborne if it ever shows up!

Yeah, they feel great too ( that's what she said ..lol ), I have them for all my bikes, very durable as well.
    Just a dude being a dude in the woods & Owner of Newark Bike Shop an authorized Diamondback Dealer.

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JPanaccione View Post
    I hear you on the status update, I ordered a Hobgoblin frame on the 30th, just sent an email requesting the same info.. I hate fedex..

I have my seeker down to 24 lbs, light bicycle carbon wheels, x9 hub set, specialized ground controls 2bliss 2.1R/2.3F, carbon bars ($30 on Amazon), carbon spacers, 60mm specialized mtb stem, specialized body geometry grips, x7type2 rd, xo crankset 1x10 and Deity pedals... The frame,seat post, saddle, brakes and forks are stock.
    Oh I love fedex. We use them at work and I find their tacking is the most accurate and fastest to update. FedEx isn't the issue, it seems like airborne is overwhelmed with the volume of shipments right now, which I can understand.

But how is the 24lb Seeker? Did you ride it at it's stock 29lb weight?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerz_subbie View Post
    Oh I love fedex. We use them at work and I find their tacking is the most accurate and fastest to update. FedEx isn't the issue, it seems like airborne is overwhelmed with the volume of shipments right now, which I can understand.

But how is the 24lb Seeker? Did you ride it at it's stock 29lb weight?
    FedEx around here are horrible. The seeker rides great, stock and now, of course now it's much faster and maybe a little too light, sometimes I get air when I don't want to.... I have the 16" frame so that prolly a helps with the weight too.

I have zero complaints, otherwise I wouldn't have purchased another

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

Ludicrous Speed
    My bike status has been "Processing" for 192 hours now - I wonder if Airborne is going to surprise those of us who have been waiting a while with a free jersey. Or maybe they are making a custom jersey "I survived the 2015 restocking event".

They were pretty convinced bikes would ship out last week, I wonder what went wrong.

mtbr member
    My bike status has been "Processing" for 192 hours now - I wonder if Airborne is going to surprise those of us who have been waiting a while with a free jersey. Or maybe they are making a custom jersey "I survived the 2015 restocking event".

They were pretty convinced bikes would ship out last week, I wonder what went wrong.
    A free Jersey would be cool!! I just got a tracking number today, supposed to arrive Saturday. I know your order was before mine, so hopefully you get yours today or tomorrow.. according to the tracking, they created the ticket the next day after my order but FedEx didn't pick up until 4 days later

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

Hell, that's only 8 calendar days. I ordered my Guardian on the day they got them back into stock (10July2015), and it left the warehouse 22July2015. (8 working days)

Mike

Ludicrous Speed
    Mike -

The thing is, they were out of stock, they had a semi-outdated website that didn't tell you they were out of stock, it just didn't do anything when you clicked on "buy now".

Then they got stock in and everyone got excited and placed orders, and they led many of these people believe that the "bike would be on the fedex truck tomorrow".

And then there were people like me who got in a big rush to place their order before they ran out of stock --- again --- and got real excited that they would be shipped out "tomorrow".. And then suddenly reality slaps me in the face * Hey dummy, you have no pedals, no helmet, no gear * and I get in a big frantic rush to research all these things

I have a revolving anxiety attack for 5 days because "If I don't pick the right pedal, I waste my money and I have more downtime with junk components" .. "If I don't pick the pedal fast enough, I have a bike I can't even ride" .. "If I don't get the right deal, I waste money.." "if I don't hurry up, I waste time.."

And here it is, 9 days later - I already have my Janson order with my components and equipment - but the bike order is still "Processing"...

They took my money 9 days ago, so I can only assume something has gone drastically wrong at this point?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    My order said it was processing well after I received my bike... I understand the excitement, but keep in mind, it may have already shipped.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by bradleykd View Post
    My order said it was processing well after I received my bike... I understand the excitement, but keep in mind, it may have already shipped.
    Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow per FedEx tracking, but the site still shows processing.
    It seems a lot of customers are getting a sour taste about Airborne over the lack of order updates, and probably creating even more work for the company than if they could just get their site to update every 24hr.

mtbr member
    Mine is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow per FedEx tracking, but the site still shows processing.
    Same here, FedEx tracking for tomorrow delivery, site still says processing.
    maybe the guy who's in charge of the site is on vacation..

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

Ludicrous Speed
    It seems a lot of customers are getting a sour taste about Airborne over the lack of order updates, and probably creating even more work for the company than if they could just get their site to update every 24hr.
    My guess is they are using a wordpress website template with a built in sales portal - and a different program in the warehouse - either the 2 programs don't talk to each other, or they don't have enough staff to update the website portal with info, or both.

So for those of you who have already received - or will be receiving in the next days :

Lets see some pics! Pic of it sitting on your doorstep! Pic of you tearing the box apart..
    Pics of setting the bike up, any pointers on what needs to be done, doesn't need to be done.

Lets go team airborne!

mtbr member

So for those of you who have already received - or will be receiving in the next days :

Lets see some pics! Pic of it sitting on your doorstep! Pic of you tearing the box apart..
    Pics of setting the bike up, any pointers on what needs to be done, doesn't need to be done.

Lets go team airborne!

My personal bikes:
    Airborne Seeker
    Airborne HobGoblin
    Airborne Goblin
    Airborne Toxin
    Evo Vantage 7.0

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Mike -

The thing is, they were out of stock, they had a semi-outdated website that didn't tell you they were out of stock, it just didn't do anything when you clicked on "buy now".

Then they got stock in and everyone got excited and placed orders, and they led many of these people believe that the "bike would be on the fedex truck tomorrow".

And then there were people like me who got in a big rush to place their order before they ran out of stock --- again --- and got real excited that they would be shipped out "tomorrow".. And then suddenly reality slaps me in the face * Hey dummy, you have no pedals, no helmet, no gear * and I get in a big frantic rush to research all these things

I have a revolving anxiety attack for 5 days because "If I don't pick the right pedal, I waste my money and I have more downtime with junk components" .. "If I don't pick the pedal fast enough, I have a bike I can't even ride" .. "If I don't get the right deal, I waste money.." "if I don't hurry up, I waste time.."

And here it is, 9 days later - I already have my Janson order with my components and equipment - but the bike order is still "Processing"...

They took my money 9 days ago, so I can only assume something has gone drastically wrong at this point?
    Yep, I went through exactly what you're talking about. I PM'd their Facebook, who said that it probably already went out (a couple days after the order) and I should be receiving a tracking number shortly. I then talked to Eric about getting the tracking number, and the marketing guy who does the FB didn't know that they got such a HUGE influx of orders that it completely overwhelmed their distribution center (Huffy), and it would be several more days until it shipped. They take everybody's money at order time, and as far as I can tell, it's because they take your money, then tell Huffy "Ok, ship this person this bike" and Huffy's warehouse has been overwhelmed with orders, so they're slow.

Mike

mtbr member
    Hey everyone,
    orders started shipping last week with a majority of them shipping this week. If you haven't already contacted Airborne through email feel free to with your order number and I will get your tracking info to you ASAP!

-Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I tried calling several times last week, leaving messages, regarding questions about frame size (I am built oddly ) After no return call I gave up and just ordered a Seeker in the size I think is right on August 3rd. Since then, I have received no emails with a tracking number or any other coorespondence. I also emailed them on August 5th with no reply. They have not answered calls in 2 weeks as far as I can tell. I would love to know if they received my order and it would have been great to talk to someone about fitment. I will also email Mike right now to see if he can help.

I am just starting out and after reading a lot of reveiws decided on the seeker. I hope I made the right choice. My experience over the last 2 weeks makes me question the company a little. Hopefully the bike will make up for it.

On a side note, i ordered a 20" bike and I am 6'1" with short legs...31 or 32" inseam. Hopefully it is the right choice. I rode some similar frame sizes at the LBS and a 20" seemed to fit well.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    20" seems like it will be a good fit for you. With a long torso the 18" would probably feel cramped. The good thing is you can always play with stem length/angle, bar rise/sweep, seat post offset, and saddle position to dial things in, so don't fret if it doesn't "feel right" right off the bat. Depending on the riding position you prefer, you may have to lengthen the cockpit a little bit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 08brute View Post
    I tried calling several times last week, leaving messages, regarding questions about frame size (I am built oddly ) After no return call I gave up and just ordered a Seeker in the size I think is right on August 3rd. Since then, I have received no emails with a tracking number or any other coorespondence. I also emailed them on August 5th with no reply. They have not answered calls in 2 weeks as far as I can tell. I would love to know if they received my order and it would have been great to talk to someone about fitment. I will also email Mike right now to see if he can help.

I am just starting out and after reading a lot of reveiws decided on the seeker. I hope I made the right choice. My experience over the last 2 weeks makes me question the company a little. Hopefully the bike will make up for it.

On a side note, i ordered a 20" bike and I am 6'1" with short legs...31 or 32" inseam. Hopefully it is the right choice. I rode some similar frame sizes at the LBS and a 20" seemed to fit well.
    Did you shoot over an email today?
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    I sent a PM to you Mike because I wasn't sure how to email within the forum. Hopefully I did it right.

Thanks for the response Jerz.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 08brute View Post
    I sent a PM to you Mike because I wasn't sure how to email within the forum. Hopefully I did it right.

Thanks for the response Jerz.

Didn't mean to hijack the thread.
    Replied...
    Braaap!

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Thank you very much!

Ludicrous Speed
    Midwestxmike - Hey thanks for the great service! Airborne Rocks!

Jerz - Lets see a pic of all the goodies you have waiting to install tomorrow!!!!

08brute - When does your bike arrive, and what trail are you taking it to first???

bartonmd - So when does yours arrive? You in Maryland? There is a crazy guy named http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=243655 who can probably whip you into shape as a hardcore MTBer on that new Airborne!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    bartonmd - So when does yours arrive? You in Maryland? There is a crazy guy named http://forums.mtbr.com/member.php?u=243655 who can probably whip you into shape as a hardcore MTBer on that new Airborne!
    No, those are my initials. Mike D Barton
    That was my login/email in college, circa 1999, and became my forum name, as well.

Mike

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    My Seeker will be arriving in the morning and I can't wait! I'll be honest, I was a little upset at first about this purchase, only because 830$ is a bit of money to me and to be unresponsive/misinformed initially turned me off a bit.. But now that delivery date is close, it's all behind me and just pumped to get the bike.

I honestly think Airborne is just putting these "in stock" for order a bit too early, and I don't know if it's miscommunication between warehouse and headquarters or just a misjudgment about re-stocking, but from what I've read, it seems the same happened with the Guardian. I would have purchased the bike on the same date I initially did (7/27), but it would have been nice to have a heads up on the wait considering the amount of money involved and the necessary signature upon delivery (needed to be sure I'd be home). I didn't get a tracking number until 2 days after it shipped and had to email a few times for an accurate one.

All said and done though, I'm not too upset about it and understand that this is probably an extremely busy re-stocking time for Airborne with all the sales etc. going on. I have no doubt that the product is worth the minor inconvenience, but I'll know for sure tomorrow.

Pics will definitely be uploaded upon arrival in the AM!

Ludicrous Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by bartonmd View Post
    No, those are my initials. Mike D Barton
    That was my login/email in college, circa 1999, and became my forum name, as well.

Mike
    Wow, I hope the NSA is not reading this. All I know is I tried to ask you a question using your MTBR username and some assumptions - so lets try this again....

MIKE - Oops, looks like you're in IN - sorry for making assumptions. So where did you bring your Airborne to recently Mike?

Ludicrous Speed
    XxSeekLifexX -

I got a little pissed too - but not really - in the long run, I could have done a dozen things differently - I could have pi$zed and whined, I could have cursed the Airborne name, etc.

But when it comes down to it - The airborne folks are busting their butts, they are true biking lovers, they do want to make all of us Airborne customers happy, they are giving us an amazing Value for our money..

They might not have the best Website/Backend/Software/Inventory/Shipping setup - but lets face it - They have the best Bike for the money - They love all of us MTB freaks - They love Airborne and the future of the MTB community...

Mine arrives tomorrow in the AM as well - lets get some good pics and trail videos going here - this weekend is going to KICK A$$ for Airborne customers!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I feel ya bud. I think it was more about excitement turning into childish frustration at first for me, haha. I completely respect Airborne and am not trying to poke jabs at them or anything with my comments, just maybe a little constructive criticism in case they are reading.

What really matters is that we all know they care about what they do and you have to respect that. Sometimes small companies have hard times keeping up with demand and that's just a sign of growth, which is good for warrantee/support for us! If anything this wait may work in their favor because I'm already looking at a fs (possibly hobgoblin?) while waiting, haha.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Wow, I hope the NSA is not reading this. All I know is I tried to ask you a question using your MTBR username and some assumptions - so lets try this again....

MIKE - Oops, looks like you're in IN - sorry for making assumptions. So where did you bring your Airborne to recently Mike?
    I run a side gig online, anyway. Metal fabrication / offroad stuff. This is my username everywhere, and I'm sure the NSA, IRS, BATF, and everybody else who matters knows who I am, along with half of the Internet who has sent me paypal payments or money orders. It's cool.

I live pretty close to Southwestway park, which has several miles of good trails. I actually rehabbed my '93 Schwinn Sidewinder 26" rigid MTB, and I'm riding that this morning at Town Run, while my Dad tries out MTBing on my Guardian. He'll likely buy one if he likes mountain biking. I currently (and for the last several years) road ride his '73 Fuji race bike (tubular tires, etc.), with him on his early-mid 80's road bike.

Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Update in OP.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Bike was delivered a little while ago, almost done assembly and installing the new parts. The 18" size is tight on standover height as I expected being 5'8 with 29" inseam but I just move the "boys" to the side and I can stand flat footed without shoes.

I'm taking some pics and weights of everything along the way.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Bike was delivered a little while ago, almost done assembly and installing the new parts. The 18" size is tight on standover height as I expected being 5'8 with 29" inseam but I just move the "boys" to the side and I can stand flat footed without shoes.

I'm taking some pics and weights of everything along the way.
    NICE! Congrats! Isn't the 18" frame a 30.5" stand over? Does it fit okay? Post pics! I can't wait to get mine assembled.

mtbr member
    Great bikes, i just hope Airborne finds a way to fix their business issues (phone communication, website, inventory etc..).

Id like to order a Hobgoblin for racing in 2016 but I have to see improvement in the way they do things.

Keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    I'm excited to see your ride Jerz! A lot of your upgrades are ones i was looking at myself.. Crossing my fingers you reach your 25 lbs goal!

I've attached a few photos of mine being setup. I've taken it on a few quick rides now and can easily say I love the bike. It could definitely use some weight saving, but that will come in time... More than happy with my purchase and no issues yet. It's completely stock as of now.

Airborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan!-20150808_132026.jpgAirborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan!-20150808_132506.jpgAirborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan!-20150808_135058.jpgAirborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan!-20150808_143659.jpg

Ludicrous Speed
    Quote Originally Posted by XxSeekLifexX View Post
    I'm excited to see your ride Jerz! A lot of your upgrades are ones i was looking at myself.. Crossing my fingers you reach your 25 lbs goal!

I've attached a few photos of mine being setup. I've taken it on a few quick rides now and can easily say I love the bike. It could definitely use some weight saving, but that will come in time... More than happy with my purchase and no issues yet. It's completely stock as of now.
    Looks good looks good! I got mine, all assembled, seems good so far - I have to go get an adapter for this type of valve stem before I can ride mine - So I am off to the bike store now.

Overall this was pretty simple to assemble - If I were to take it to a LBS - it would only be to get the front wheel 100% parallel with the stem/bars

Fedex was not as gentle with my box. There was a lot of rubbing on one side of the box like they shoved it against something that was constantly impacting that side, the cardboard protectors shifted enough that the seat post dug several chunks into the paint on the frame, and some dulling/rubbing of paint where the tire rubbed the frame.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    @tualmbr sorry to hear your bike got all scratched up, that blows! My box was a little rough too but the contents were fine. My front shift cable housing was a crimp that looked like it was pinched with visegrips but still functional.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Update in OP. Detailed weights on the way.

Ludicrous Speed
    @tualmbr sorry to hear your bike got all scratched up, that blows! My box was a little rough too but the contents were fine. My front shift cable housing was a crimp that looked like it was pinched with visegrips but still functional.
    Sadly i'll be sending this bike back. FedEx can reimburse me, or Airborne or both of us..

There were 3 different spots that the paint was damaged due to rough shipping...

The rough shipping also caused the front brake spacer to fall out - this in the long run ( over-bled or over-adjusted the front brakes ) caused the front brakes to have an engagement which is about 30% less than the rear brakes - I am one of those anal people who like the front and rear to be identical in feel, grip, engagement, etc.

The front tire is out of round - Im not sure if it's bent, if there is a flat spot, or what happened - but i'll sum this up to a shipping problem too - any time im going over 8mph the entire bike has a rhythmic pulsation to it from the front wheel. If I free-spin the front wheel in the air, it's very visible that the tire has a significant flat or out of round spot in it.

I could have dealt with one of these issues - but not all 3.

The rear de-railer is also completely out of adjustment - but that happens to most mail order bikes as far as im aware..

I'll update after talking with fed-ex.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dougdabbs View Post
    NICE! Congrats! Isn't the 18" frame a 30.5" stand over? Does it fit okay? Post pics! I can't wait to get mine assembled.
    Yes but cycling inseam is measured by where you sit bones are, therefore up past the jewels. So a little wrangling is sometimes necessary.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Thanks for the thorough weights listing Jerz; this thread really helps us moddies get a gauge on what we need when going on a Seeker diet. Sorry you didn't make the 25 lbs goal, but I bet that 27 lbs. makes a huge difference either way!

And Tualmbr, sorry to hear about all your troubles with the Seeker bud. I'm sure you'll be able to get it all straightened out but it's always disheartening to hear about a bad experience. I do think Airborne could step up the packaging game just a little, but ultimately mishandling during shipment is going to cause damage either way..

Took the Seeker on a 30 mile ride today and she still rides as good as new! Loved every minute of it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I'm not too bummed about the weight issue, the fact that I was able to get a similarly spec'ed 29er to be 1/2lb lighter than my old 26" without spending much coin (after selling the stock parts) is impressive to me. And the 29er definitely rolls over roots and small rocks much easier than 26". I was unsure how much of a difference that would be but I like it for sure.

While I'm in no rush, I'll probably go to a stans arch ex wheelset (1775g) or do some research and deal searching to build a <1800g wheelset for less $ than the stans, if possible, since I've realized these XT hubs, while great quality for the $, are very heavy. This would shave another 1.3lb.

One thing I will definitely be changing is the 36T front ring. I don't ride many fast trails, or maybe I'm just not very fast haha, but I find myself on the lowest gear in the rear still needing another gear down on some climbs. I could probably get by just fine with a 30T 1x10. Not sure yet what kind of weight this would save.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Disregard, found photo on SRAM website.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Update in OP.

Went 1x10 and swapped brakes. Sitting at 25.82lb!
    Last edited by Jerz_subbie; 09-13-2015 at 09:52 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Update in OP. Swapped the 32T for a 30T.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just wanted to give a quick update on the bike now that I've had it for a year, OK 51 weeks haha.

I haven't had a single issue with the bike, nothing has broken, no weird sounds or wobbly parts. I haven't crashed and don't abuse my bike, yet I do ride mostly blue and black diamond trails around the Charlotte area ( USNWC, LNSP, Fisher, North Meck, Sherman).

I still really like the bike and am glad I did all of the parts swapping because it not only allowed me to get down to my 25lb goal but also let me play around with different parts and find exactly what i like. This is A LOT of bike for $1200 (what I have in it). Going 1x10, upgrading to a lighter wheelset, and going tubeless are easily the biggest upgrades.

I haven't been able to ride as much as I would like because of other hobbies, getting married, and buying a new house, but I've been getting back out there more recently.

That all said, I do hope to move to a FS bike next summer. I wish Airborne would expand their line up and bring back some FS bikes, but it seems like 2016 is a rebuilding year for them. I did a Trek demo last summer and after riding 4-5 bikes fell in love with the Fuel EX; Not only was the FS nice of course but it seemed to climb exceptionally well and felt like a perfect fit for me (size 17.5"). At msrp it's overpriced, but I see plenty of shops unloading them at 20-25% off in July. At that price, I think they're a very good buy. I'll likely be shopping for a Fuel EX 8 or 9 this time next year. I may or may not keep my Seeker, we'll see.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well, my Seeker is officially for sale! It was a fun year of ownership, but I came across a hot deal for a 2014 Stumpjumper FSR 29er with ZTR Crests and full XTR drivetrain that I couldn't pass up. The Stumpy will only be 2.2lb heavier at 26.9lb which I think is pretty good for an alloy FS.

So if you know anyone in the market for a well cared for 24.7lb (w/o pedals) Seeker for under $1k in the Charlotte area, let me know

Airborne Seeker is on the Way, I Hope... -- Sub 25lb Plan!-00f0f_carbezryn4y_600x450.jpg