Airborne Marauder DH/FR?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Airborne Marauder DH/FR?

Is the Airborne Marauder really a downhill/freeride bike, as it is listed, and for only $699?

I know alot of you wouldn't spend less than thousands for a dh/fr bike, but this is in my price range and I am a beginner, won't be doing any big jumps or drops, and will be riding on pavement alot and uphill as well. So technically you would probably say I am needing an all mountain, but I want to get into downhill and want to know how this bike will hold up.

Please, don't compare it to your multi-thousand dollar rigs, compare it to the Sortie, Mission, Giant Yukon FX, and whatever else is in that price range. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    you get what you pay for...but if your just go on pavement....700 bucks is a lot for a around the town bike.

suspension is kinda crappy, components are on the lower end, wouldnt trust the brakes...etc,etc...

more info if ur really that interested in it: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/airborn...tter-2010.html

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The "new" Airborne line are really rebadged Iron Horse frames. Not a bad thing.
    This bike was previously known as the Iron Horse Warrior.

I rode a Iron Hose Yakuza (now the Airborne Taka) for 3 seasons, handed it to friend who's been riding it for 2 more without issue.

If it's in your price range, and will get you out on the trails, I say go for it. Parts are always upgradeable in the future.

Moose Member
    A dude just wrote a review and said

"Strengths: this bikes amazing!! its 32 pounds has 8-10 inces on the back and 12 on the front!"

lol I doubt it has 12 in front but idk, he seemed to like the bike...

Committed
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahaalex37
    Is the Airborne Marauder really a downhill/freeride bike, as it is listed, and for only $699?

I know alot of you wouldn't spend less than thousands for a dh/fr bike, but this is in my price range and I am a beginner, won't be doing any big jumps or drops, and will be riding on pavement alot and uphill as well. So technically you would probably say I am needing an all mountain, but I want to get into downhill and want to know how this bike will hold up.

Please, don't compare it to your multi-thousand dollar rigs, compare it to the Sortie, Mission, Giant Yukon FX, and whatever else is in that price range. Thanks.

Looks like a good entry level bike. I'd say go for it at 700. If you stick with the whole MTB thing you will be ready to upgrade in a year or two, and know more about what you want/need from your next bike.

mtbr member
    Like others said, you get what you pay for. I put about 25 miles on the Marauder out at Sea Otter, and it was a pretty decent ride. The geometry felt awesome in the air. It is pretty burly... it'll hold up. But it doesn't have the most expensive components. If you're looking for a bike to get into freeride on a budget, this would be an excellent choice.
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

AKA. Molasses
    Aug 2006

Small correction

This model is not the old IH Warrior.
    The Warrior had 5 inches while this one has 6 inches.
    I think it might be closer to the old Sachem.
    JEB

Jul 2009
    I wan in your position a year ago and I found a used giant faith for 600$ I ended up puting 600 more into it but befor I did that it was still a great first downhill bike. So i would say spend your 700 on somthing local and used is you can find something.

mtbr member
    I would look around for a IH seven point, still might be able to find a couple new, and they will be a hellava lot better then a Sachem.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Good job! so sick

this bike is great. i ve had it for a month and its perfect for me. i took it to big bear/ snow summit and it held up on the gnarlyest dh they had. yes its not a dh bike (freeride), and yes it is heavy as sh^t (37lbs), and yes it is an IH (sachem). but all those things are not bad. sounds like its what you are looking for. might as well get a new bike from a company that is still around, for $700 plus pedels

mtbr member
    Its not a freeride bike - its a trailbike with freeride buryness. Seriously with 69ha its as far away from a freeride bike as possible.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    $700 for that bike? You can't go wrong honestly. IH did make super tough bikes. I have an IH Yakuza Sohon Bucho (the DH bike you can get for $1500 right now) and it's straight up bomb proof.

The problem with buying used is that you inherit all of the abuse of the previous rider. If the dude never repacked the bearings in his head set you might buy a frame that is no good after 3 months of riding. If you can buy brand new then that's certainly the way to go and I think these super cheap bikes are good because they were made by a legit bike company and the Yakuza has been tried and loved by many around the world. Just look at the reviews on this site.

Glad to Be Alive
    it's a SC Bullitt
    the trick is ENJOYING YOUR LIFE EACH DAY, don't waste them away wishing for better days

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    dont be an a$$hole. it is a light freeride bike. freeride is a state of mind, a way of attacking the mountain. this bike does a good job at that. dont confuse people with your headtube angle bs. the only difference is it has a 1 1/8 in diameter instead of the bigger new 1.5. this guy is a duche who likes to show off his $2000 bike. the airborne marauder is a burly bike that will hold up to almost all FREERIDING

banned
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by robuler
    this bike is great. i ve had it for a month and its perfect for me. i took it to big bear/ snow summit and it held up on the gnarlyest dh they had. yes its not a dh bike (freeride), and yes it is heavy as sh^t (37lbs), and yes it is an IH (sachem). but all those things are not bad. sounds like its what you are looking for. might as well get a new bike from a company that is still around, for $700 plus pedels

So would you say that Spinner fork is the $hit?

banned
    Apr 2010
    More junk from Randall Scott.

外国人
    Jun 2007
    ride it!
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A Select Start

banned
    Apr 2010
    Hey, it's the airborne flight crew!

mtbr member
    dont be an a$$hole. it is a light freeride bike. freeride is a state of mind, a way of attacking the mountain. this bike does a good job at that. dont confuse people with your headtube angle bs. the only difference is it has a 1 1/8 in diameter instead of the bigger new 1.5. this guy is a duche who likes to show off his $2000 bike. the airborne marauder is a burly bike that will hold up to almost all FREERIDING
    I dont remember the last time I posted my bike here on mtbr. Freeride also suppsoedly should inform you where the bike would perform best. Saying there is no differance between better bikes and a bike with 69 deg head angle is stupid. Im not saying its a bad bike. Its a very good bike for that price but durability is not the only thing that makes a freeride bike. So instead of calling me names stop pretending like I insulted you.

Its a trailbike with freeride bike burlyness. You can do freeriding on it because of how strong it is but the geo and 3/4 of the setup is from a trailbike.
    www.totalbikes.pl - Bike Camps not only in Poland

mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Wink

Last edited by robuler; 09-10-2010 at 09:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail-Shredder
    So would you say that Spinner fork is the $hit?
    i may not go that far. for me it works well cause im pretty light (140). the spring is pretty soft so it soaks up alot of the small bumps and chunks really well, but on the bigger hits to flat, it can bottom out pretty easy. but you can really utilize the rear shock. if you are goin to do trail riding to light freeriding, or are skinny, it will be real nice. anything bigger and you are goin want to upgrade soon. but with all the money saved you can do it right away.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    still very nice

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Wow. If you think that headtube angles don't have anything to do with how well a bike handles gravity driven riding then you sir, are sadly and tragically mistaken. Personally, I would not rely on the Marauder for FR, based almost entirely on its geometry, although I suspect the TAKA would be just fine.

I'm not saying you could not ride the Marauder, just that its geometry does not lend itself very well to what would qualify as "freeriding", at least here in BC. You would be looking at a quick trip over the bars pretty much whenever the going got steep. As a beefier trial bike, sure, the Marauder would likely work. The TAKA is a better choice.
    -Skimming the successpool of corporate America-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Techfreak
    Wow. If you think that headtube angles don't have anything to do with how well a bike handles gravity driven riding then you sir, are sadly and tragically mistaken. Personally, I would not rely on the Marauder for FR, based almost entirely on its geometry, although I suspect the TAKA would be just fine.

I'm not saying you could not ride the Marauder, just that its geometry does not lend itself very well to what would qualify as "freeriding", at least here in BC. You would be looking at a quick trip over the bars pretty much whenever the going got steep. As a beefier trial bike, sure, the Marauder would likely work. The TAKA is a better choice.
    I agree, definitely go with the Taka for full-on Freeriding. The crazy thing is, the 19" frame Marauder is about 38 pounds stock (no pedals) and has 6" of travel and the 19" frame Taka is 40.8 lbs (no pedals) and has 8" of travel. Only about a 3 lb weight difference... I'd choose the Taka over the Marauder most every time for true Freeride and downhilling.

Now If we're talking more all-mountain riding (with some really long climbs), then maybe go with the Marauder (If we're just talking about airborne bikes).
    Feel free to check out my personal website, Greg Heil.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by junktrunk
    More junk from Randall Scott.
    yeah what he said
    2011 transition 250
    2009 DB scapegoat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twisted1
    yeah what he said
    Would either of you guys like to make a statement or two to back up your claims that this bike is junk?

As far as I can see these bikes are the same or very similar to the old Iron Horse single pivot bikes. I had never heard of a problem with the IH single pivot design.

Sure some folks don't like dealing with Randall Scott and he may be a tool for all I know. What I do know is that the IH Warrior FS bike I got my son a few years ago is pretty damned nice. Not a good, but a great spec for the price I paid. 0 problems as of yet with any of the spec'ed components or the frame which is pretty darned beefy & plush with a stock fox vanilla.

That practical info is what I have to go on, unless you have some info on multiple failures or specific problems you will have a hard time convincing anyone who has actual experience with these bikes that they aren't a spectacular bang for the buck.
    All of that being said I would recommend that if you are not competent bike mechanic that you should take your bike to a LBS for the initial build and maybe continuing maintenance. Then learn to wrench on your own bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    your a beginner, just ride... any bike you get will be your starting point, you'll learn about blown seals, head angles, etc in year 2. i guarantee, whether you buy new or used youll be happy. dont get caught up in this internet bravado.

i be lurkin
    anyone with the name randell and has a website named after him is a tool, FO SHO...
    me: "mom dont ride yer brakes "mom: "shut up"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by eride1
    dont get caught up in this internet bravado.
    X2, it's just a stereotype. I have a buddy who has a Marauder, he loves it. He wasn't sure he wanted to get into the Freeride scene, so why spend $3K for something your unsure of. $700 is a heck of bang for your buck.
    Media Manager - Coming Soon
    Press Relations - Team Billy Goat Bikes - Mountain Khakis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yamahaalex37
    If you are just starting out in DH, it's more than enough bike. The Geometry is more trailbike than full downhiller though.

The parts on it are all functional, there's nothing on it that jumps out at me as a dumb part choice.

The best course if you bought one would be to get a second hand fork and shock to fit, then just ride it and ride it. The shocks are the weak link, but at that price you won't see any better.
    Most bike shops have some second hand or refurbished shocks/forks kicking about, fairly basic float r or van rc would make an improvement on the back for not a huge amount of money.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I recommend getting a better bike used for that or even less money, if you have a local market to choose from (craig list, etc..). My first MTB I paid something like $250 (had to spend $60+ and some work on the fork/chain to get it in shape) as I wanted to try things out (been years since I had been on a (road) bike).

Then couple months later got a used RS Revelation. That fork was so amazing, it made me realize the rear shock and frame were crap, so I got a used IH MKIIII frame+shock (great bike if your rear triangle doesn't break) and re-used all my components. Sold my original frame + fork for more than the entire bike. Rode the IH for over a year until I came into my current dream bike barely used for 1/3 the cost new. Then sold the complete MKIII for more than I paid for.

Also recently got a dedicated DH bike for park riding: IH Yakusa Kumicho - same frame as Taka - which I would not recommend if you do any uphill (8" with single pivot and 42lbs bike don't mix), but has been great the few times I've been to Northstar with. Much better components (2010 boxxer, mavic 729 wheels, seat, tohmson post, high rollers tire, 990 casette, etc) for about what you're looking at.

My point is you can often do better used and will often get your money back when you realize what works for you and what you like is something else. You will be lucky to get 300-400 for that bike used, but's it's cheap if you gonna keep it or want to try things out. A used IH 7 point might be a better choice.

The fork and then rear shock make the biggest difference and as other said, might the thing first to replace on that entry bike.
    Last edited by adumesny; 12-01-2010 at 08:41 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0