Airborne Liberator or Planet-X Armadillo- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Idea! Airborne Liberator or Planet-X Armadillo

Liberator: http://www.airborne.net/eready/janette/store/lbbike.asp

Armadillo: http://www.bikemagic.com/news/articl...98715328194332

I'm building a bike for pretty light trail riding. I have to pick from those two. I could get the Armadillo for $340 (269e) and the Liberator for $190 (150e). The Armadillo is new but the Liberator would be used. But it's been used very lightly so it should be like new.

So I ride pretty lightly. Nowadays even 2ft drops are quite rare, but I think that this summer I'll be a bit more harsh on the bike. I like to go fast, but I guess pretty much any frame should be able to take that kind of beating from a 140 pounder. Though, it might go up to 150 from time to time .

I know that the Armadillo should take anything I throw it at. But if I don't start to ride more aggressively I'd be wasting the potential of the Armadillo . My Mavic X618's are the ones that will limit the riding, at least with the Armadillo. But I wouldn't like to get a very heavy bike, because I'd like to be able to throw the bike around. That's why I wouldn't like to get any heavy rims. Even though I don't want to get them, I've been checking out the prices of Rhyno Lites and Singletracs .

But then again I'm not sure if the Liberator can take the beating. I should be able to land at least 3ft drops without fearing for the frame. I'll be using a 130mm Minute 3 and I'm not sure if the Liberator can take a fork this long. In the reviews they say that it has a bit beefier chain stays than normal XC bikes, but nothing more spesific.

So I would like to know if the Liberator would be durable enough for me or the weight of the Armadillo wouln't matter to me . The weight difference is a bit over a pound. Liberator weights (16") 3.61 and the Armadillo (16") 4.7. In some mountain biking magazine HT review they reported a weight of 5.3 for Armadillo. So does anyone know if it really weights 4.7 or 5.3? Ofcourse any kind of experiences on either of the bikes are more than welcome. And I've used the search and read all the threads that have either Armadillo (damn Specialized tires ) or Liberator in them.

Currently I'm riding a 2001 Chameleon. I'll be making it a second bike for myself. I'll use it in my studying place because I cant drag the bike with me when going home. In home I have the "real" bike because there are much better trails and I go there rather often. I'm changing it because I need a all-arouder for my stydying place and it doesn't have the disc brake installing thingy (don't know the word) and I have a disc brakes in my main bike. I'm using the adapter so I can attach the brake but it's below the hub and not over it like they usually are. You can also convince me to keep the Chameleon as my main bike .

I know I forgot something so I'll be posting more later.

Thanks in advance.

Not a Barry supporter.
    I can't comment on the Armadillo as I've never even seen one but I can comment on the Liberator. I have one and absolutely love it. It's me racing bike and comes in around 23 lbs. I'm 150-155 lbs. myself and I'm a really agressive rider. All of that being said, I would not use this bike as a burly do it all bike unless you buy it new. Then you have a 3 year warranty and can beat the crap out of it. The tubes and welding are solid and stiff but also not the thickest around. You don't want to do any drops on this frame for sure. I think it's perfect for a racing bike or trail bike but not for a lot of 2 ft. jumps/drops. It climbs great and you can build it up really light. It's the perfect racing bike for me but I have a Burner as my everyday bike. If you're just riding trails and not concerned with jumping a lot, I'd go for it. But if you think you're going to do some light freeriding or something, I would highly recommend not getting the Liberator. It's not made for it and would probably fail.

Here's a pic of mine though.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for the reply. It helped me a lot.

What is the fork you have? How much travel it has? If it has less than 100mm, could you still guess if it could take a 130mm fork?

I would still like to hear opinion from both frames. I'd like to know how well you can do long XC rides with Armadillo. It doesn't differ that much from the Liberator when looking at the angles, but in my experience it seems that frames just doesn't make sense . Would the Armadillo be harsh as it is built much stiffer? I'll have like 30cm seat post showing so that might help a bit. But I would still like to hear opinions about the liberator. I don't know how rare they are around there, but at least here they are really rare.

The parts I'm putting in the frame are Minute 3, Mavic X618, Thomsons, RPM carbon cranks. The parts seems really odd... At least to me . For Armadillo these parts are really light. But I think that for Liberator they are quite fine(?).

I got the cranks for really cheap so I decided to buy them even if I don't know how they will hold. Some people said that they are stronger than some normal ~1.5lbs XC cranks, so I trusted them. I would like to hear some some opinion about these cranks also. Will I brake them if I drop couple feet?

Almost forgot... the bike looks nice

Not a Barry supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uninen
    What is the fork you have? How much travel it has? If it has less than 100mm, could you still guess if it could take a 130mm fork?

The parts I'm putting in the frame are Minute 3, Mavic X618, Thomsons, RPM carbon cranks. The parts seems really odd... At least to me . For Armadillo these parts are really light. But I think that for Liberator they are quite fine(?).

Almost forgot... the bike looks nice
    The fork is a Marz Marathon 120mm. It feels great but the bike is made for nothing over 100mm. So technically I'm voiding my warranty b/c of it. I think I'd like a 100mm but I just don't have the cash or really the desire to get another fork.

Here's a link to a post I had going when I first got it. It may be helpful too.
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.ph...ight=airbourne

I've swapped some things out so she comes in about 23 lbs. I love the ride and feel. If you have the right seat, you can go a long, long time on it.

My specs: RF Turbine cranks / Thomson cockpit / Titec HellBent bar / Avid brakes/levers / Marz Marathon 120mm fork / WTB Ti Rocket V / Mavic 517's / XT drivetrain. I have my first 24 hour race memorial day weekend since I got her. I'm really looking forward to seeing how she compares in those races to the Sugar.

Let me know if you have more questions about it.
    Why would I need more than one gear?
    @A_SingleSpeeder
    EPA = crooks!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks, but at least now I don't have anything in my mind.

Darn, I have a Minute and I really wouldn't like to get rid of it and it's not supposed to be run with 100mm always. It's meant only for the climbs, or at least that's what I've heard.

If I'd have a 100mm fork and wouldn't ride this "hard" I'd definately get it but I'll have to keep thinking...

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Damn, the On-One Inbred 456 looks pretty sweet. Darn, last summer I promised not to spend any money on bikes. That $340 would be too much already. I don't want to spend over $500 on the 456. Maybe I'll buy it next year, when people have experience about it and it's on sale

Have to keep thinking...