Airborne Goblin Evo 20" or 22"- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2015

Airborne Goblin Evo 20" or 22"

I'm a beginner looking to upgrade my Trek 4300 for a Goblin Evo. At 6'-2 1/2" in height with a 32" to 33" inseam, Airborne suggested the 20" frame would fit my size. I was expecting them to suggest a 22" frame.

Are there any +/- 6' tall goblin owners that can comment on which size they are satisfied on?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cTxAggie View Post
    I'm a beginner looking to upgrade my Trek 4300 for a Goblin Evo. At 6'-2 1/2" in height with a 32" to 33" inseam, Airborne suggested the 20" frame would fit my size. I was expecting them to suggest a 22" frame.

Are there any +/- 6' tall goblin owners that can comment on which size they are satisfied on?
    I can say that I am 5'11.5" and I ride an 18" Evo and LOVE IT. I can see a 20 for you in the near future... Remember too that 29ers are taller and longer than your old 4300. It sounds about right for 6-2ish on the 20.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I can't comment specifically on the Evo, but I'm 6'3" with a 36" inseam riding a 20" Goblin. I've got the seatpost maxed out, but it fits great. I think a 20" is probably right for you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Then 20" it is. Thanks for the feedback.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm 6'3", 34 inseam and I got a a 20" on their suggestions. It is the correct size and a great bike. The 22" has to be huge because the 20" is plenty big.
    You made the right choice!

mtbr member
    I am 6-2 3/4 230lb, 34" inseem and I ride a 22" Goblin. I used to ride a 20" Haro and broke the seat tube because the seat post was extended too far so I went with the larger size. Make sure you get a long seat post that goes into the seat tube far enough if you are on a 20".

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am 6'4" with a 37" inseam and I am on a 22" Seeker (same frame as Goblin). It fit properly for the inseam but was long in the reach. I went from a 110 mm stem to a 40 mm stem, so I took about 2" off the reach of the bike. I think you will find the 22" to big in the reach. If your between frame sizes (which I do not think you are) going smaller tends to be a better handling bike. Go with the 20"

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    More good feedback! I ordered a 20" Evo on Thur. Eagerly awaiting its arrival!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm refreshing this thread because I'm in the same boat, sort of. I have a 35.5" cycling inseam and wear 34" pants inseams. I'm 6' 3.5" and all measurements are with nothing on my feet.

I would certainly follow airborne's advice on the 20" (they told me this when I called), except that after sitting on a bunch of bikes over the weekend I felt most comfy on bikes with a longer eff. top tubes that we at around 640mm and 659mm. These were the Specialized Camber and a Kona Taro. In both cases, I ended up sliding the seats back from middle, too.

So, am I nuts in still thinking about the 22", which is only really a little less than an inch longer in the top tube or is the 22" really feel that much bigger?

I guess I am this close to pushing the button on the 20", and few random internet strangers chiming in to do it will be enough - I just wanted to ask out loud before I commit the coin.

Thanks,

EFNM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by efnm View Post
    I'm refreshing this thread because I'm in the same boat, sort of. I have a 35.5" cycling inseam and wear 34" pants inseams. I'm 6' 3.5" and all measurements are with nothing on my feet.

I would certainly follow airborne's advice on the 20" (they told me this when I called), except that after sitting on a bunch of bikes over the weekend I felt most comfy on bikes with a longer eff. top tubes that we at around 640mm and 659mm. These were the Specialized Camber and a Kona Taro. In both cases, I ended up sliding the seats back from middle, too.

So, am I nuts in still thinking about the 22", which is only really a little less than an inch longer in the top tube or is the 22" really feel that much bigger?

I guess I am this close to pushing the button on the 20", and few random internet strangers chiming in to do it will be enough - I just wanted to ask out loud before I commit the coin.

Thanks,

EFNM.
    I think you can make either work, it just depends on which you want. As a reference I am pretty much the exact same size as you (6'3", 34" pant inseam). 20" will be shorter wheelbase (more nimble?) with longer seatpost extension and probably a longer stem. 22" will be longer wheelbase (more stable?) with shorter post extension and stem. I went with the 22" because I wanted it for XC racing so I was going for more stable over nimble. Here is a pic of me standing over the bike.

Airborne Goblin Evo 20" or 22"-img_20150117_104606.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I come from the school that it's easier to make a bike bigger than smaller. Can put a 100mm stem on instead of 80. Can get a laid back post too. Up to you. I would go with the 20 but you are the one owning the bike. Just my 2 cents.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Thnks guys, I appreciate all of the opinions and hope there are more. I'm glad to see someone from my size riding the 22 and being fine with it as it means you could make either work if you had to.

I am not an agressive rider - I'm practically a rookie that wants to get into this and enjoy the singletracks around my house, desert roads, and nearby mountain trails for exercise. I don't expect to be worrying about how aggressive I can get, so perhaps that lends to the 22 = more stable idea azorr has.

RSDSav, the school you mention seems to have a few followers as a friend has said the exact same thing about making the bike bigger. It should be easy as we're only talking 20mm or so.

PLEASE more thoughts!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Ok, I think I'm going to go for the 20" but will ask Airborne one more time. If it is too cramped I can add 20mm to the stem or do the setback seat post. I also think it will stay true to the bike's design and if I find myself doing more XC type stuff I'll just have an excuse to buy a FS XC down the road!

And I promise to check back in on real-life fit.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    I would recommend the 20". I'm 6'8" with a 37" inseam. Airborne recommended a 22" evo for me, but inadvertently sent a 20". Being as tall as I am I'm used to making do with bike sizing a little more, and didn't even notice it was a 20" for a few rides. It rode great, and was larger than my prev. mtn bike. I did send it back and the 22" should be here today, but the 20" worked for me, i'm guessing it will fit better than the 22". But take a look a the geometries on their website and get a feel for where it will be larger. A little taller and a longer top tube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Are you planning on, or did you make, any stem, spacer, or seatpost changes to fit?

Oh, I've been getting a feel for (aka obsessing over) the geometries for a while. For me it is always about the top tube but I'm going to give it a shot at what I would have thought would be too short in TT before I started asking around. I've received about 70% feedback to go the 20", and I figure I'll be able to dismount more easily on it, the bike will weigh a hair less, and my oldest boy will grow into it that much sooner.

Trigger pulled on 20".

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I am 6 foot 33 inch inseam...just purchased the goblin evo. Fits prefectly.

Oh the bike rocks. Out of the box 13 km no issue. Next day 30 km.

This bike going to get a lot of use.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    I bought the 20" frame

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    My evo 20" fits perfectly. 6-2 1/2 with 33" inseam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm waiting for it to show up to see how 1.5" more height and 2" of inseam (6'4" 35" bike inseam) fits on the 20". Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I am 6'4" with a 37" inseam. I went with the 22 which fit my inseam but was long in the reach. I have long arms but a short torso for my height. After dropping from a 110 to a 40 stem and going with 3" riser bars, the fit is good. I would say for you the 20 will work better and be easier to dial in.

I think the 6'7" guy will like the 22 frame better. If my legs weren't so long, I would have gone for a 20" myself, after riding the 22.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    6'4" guy with 35.5" bike inseam (meaning longish torso) checking back in: So far so good, although I do feel that the top tube could be a bit longer. I have the seat back as far as it can go and am feeling pretty comfy there but it seems like my hands want to be a about 1 handlebar's width out further. Maybe a 95-100mm stem is in my future but I'll wait on that and give it a bunch of rides before doing something that may affect the handling.

The bike is such a leap up from my old beater, which isn't saying much, but it feels rather playful. And light. Yet beefier. The maxle is just nuts to me. Now I just need to get out and use it as I haven't had any time to ride beyond the neighborhood after building it up on Monday night.

Here's my boy with some nice Airborne swag they threw in after I asked for some. I was hoping to get a sticker for him and instead got a trucker's cap. Neat!

Airborne Goblin Evo 20" or 22"-2ql6gy0.jpg
    Last edited by efnm; 04-08-2015 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    So far so good, although I do feel that the top tube could be a bit longer. I have the seat back as far as it can go and am feeling pretty comfy there but it seems like my hands want to be a about 1 handlebar's width out further. Maybe a 95-100mm stem is in my future but I'll wait on that and give it a bunch of rides before doing something that may affect the handling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ql6gy0.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	979400
    Not sure which way you mean by out further, but I put wider bars on my seeker and really liked it. I went with 750mm and 750-800 would have been good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I meant increasing the stem length just a bit more. It seems my hands want to rest a further from my body, towards the front of the bike.

mtbr member
    6'4" guy with 35.5" bike inseam (meaning longish torso) checking back in: So far so good, although I do feel that the top tube could be a bit longer. I have the seat back as far as it can go and am feeling pretty comfy there but it seems like my hands want to be a about 1 handlebar's width out further. Maybe a 95-100mm stem is in my future but I'll wait on that and give it a bunch of rides before doing something that may affect the handling.

The bike is such a leap up from my old beater, which isn't saying much, but it feels rather playful. And light. Yet beefier. The male is just nuts to me. Now I just need to get out and use it as I haven't had any time to ride beyond the neighborhood after building it up on Monday night.

Here's my boy with some nice Airborne swag they threw in after I asked for some. I was hoping to get a sticker for him and instead got a trucker's cap. Neat!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2ql6gy0.jpg 
Views:	217 
Size:	166.0 KB 
ID:	979400
    Congrats on the bike! Good call on the 20". The EVO frame definitely feels larger than other bikes in the same height range.

I understand what your saying about your hands feeling they could stretch more and about having your seat all the way back. There is something about the EVO's geometry that makes the cockpit feel a lot more crowded (smaller) than my last 2 bikes. Even more than my 26" FS Giant I had. I really only notice it when im down off my seat, and when I get onto the seat the fit feels completely natural.

My only concern is how well im going to be able to handle crashing with the cramped cockpit. I have a feeling im going to be smashing the family jewels a bit more. Good thing im done having kids!
    People ask me all the time "who beat you up"? I tell them "a tree". They just look at me funny....

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pattongb View Post
    My only concern is how well im going to be able to handle crashing with the cramped cockpit. I have a feeling im going to be smashing the family jewels a bit more. Good thing im done having kids!

I feel I am still 75% sure I got the right size but I will say that I am 100% sure that the 20's standover height was a help for me. I'm trying all sorts of things, like learning how to wheelie at the age of 36, and be able to bail by just hopping off the seat and "on" the top tube is great.