Airborne Goblin, any thoughts?- Mtbr.com
    Enthusiast

Airborne Goblin, any thoughts?

Something triggered a memory of Airborne this week. I went looking and stumbled upon their new Goblin:

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx

The bike looks good for the price. Does anyone know any details about it beyond what's on the catalog page? Is the tubing butted, for example?

The geometry seems a tad steep at 71.5 degrees of head angle.Maybe I could extend the fork travel to 100mm.

My son's favorite color is green. He grew over the winter and requires a larger frame bike this season. The spec and price on the Goblin look good. I am sorely tempted.

Master of the Obvious
    h part specs look awesome for the price . I am sure the frame will be more than adequate, not super light but durable. looks like a good deal.
    Check out my Blog!
    Yes ! I am posting on my Blog again! come visit!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Angus
    h part specs look awesome for the price .
    Yeah, I am kind of thinking I could buy that for my son, rob all the parts, give some older nine-speed bits, and put the ten-speed bits on one of my own frames. Would I be a bad dad to do that?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    They are going to be at Sea Otter this weekend.

Former Bike Wrench
    Actually for a 29er hardtail XC frame, 71.5 is about right (remember, it's not a 26" wheels so geometry is different).

Enthusiast
    Well, it's all moot. Went to LBS w/my son today. He did some test riding, decided to go in a different direction, and bought a Dew Deluxe instead.

DG5
    mtbr member
    You're a great Dad.
    I love my bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Ahh...kids, every time you try and figure out whats best for them they find their own way. In the end thats how its supposed to be, and I second your efforts and the outcome and hope your son enjoys his new bike!

JR

Enthusiast
    Thanks N10S. Poor dad though. He still is liking the Goblin :XD.

The Dew is supposed to arrive in about a week. Hopefully that schedule will hold. The shop had to order the Deluxe model that my son wanted. Green is his favorite color.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    man ive got 1200.00 burning a huge hole in my account, this bike is well spec'ed for 1200.00? a reba rl fork and a complete 2x10 sram x7 drivetrain plus x7 brakes. i did a search and it doesnt seem like there is a whole lot of love for airborne on this site. ive never heard of this company. so whats so wrong with the goblin? other than the corny name.

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    airborne did some good work back in the late '90s. lots of ti and steel. maybe a "new" company owns them now tho?

honestly, if i wanted gears and sus, id prolly go for the razzo's at pricepoint. i LOVED my rekens (bought 4 of them, no issues. 2 gifted, one stolen, and my last 26er, now for sale). sette knows how to build a frame.

or you could get the goblin and let us know how it rides.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    im gonna give airborne a call on moday and see when they will be avalible for sale

ilmfat
    Mar 2007
    i DO like that green, yo.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    yep the green is awsome. the white sets it off. im thinken a set of white flows will complete the look

Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    this bike is well spec'ed for 1200.00? a reba rl fork and a complete 2x10 sram x7 drivetrain plus x7 brakes.
    I thought the same. On paper, it looks great for the price. It's a butted frame too. I asked about that.

so whats so wrong with the goblin? other than the corny name.
    I kinda like the name. It's a whole lot better than "Lurcher", which is the name On One chose for their new 29er.

Honestly, I've been going through phases where I kick myself for letting my son order the Dew Deluxe. I could have ordered the Goblin for him, taken the Reba, swapped in a Karate Monkey fork and thinner tires. He'd have gotten his urban bike with much better parts than come on the Dew, and I'd have a nice fork to put on some other frame.

Oh well. I got him the bike he wanted. There is probably something to be said for that.

I don't huck.
    Jun 2005
    The bike looks really good in person. I pedaled around on a 20" one...just a putt at Sea Otter...and it seemed like a very decent bike. Nothing earthshaking, but well done and spec'd for the bucks for sure.

Look for a full review fairly soon.
    Blog Ramblings
    West Coast writer for twentynineinches.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roscoe1971
    im gonna give airborne a call on moday and see when they will be avalible for sale
    Hey there. All of us are heading home from Sea Otter today and tomorrow so the office is un-manned at the moment. We just built a full run of Goblins last week and they are on the water now. Look for them to be in the warehouse by the end of April. We are taking pre-orders and offering free freight if you do so. Go to airbornebicycles.com and check it out. If you have any more questions please email us at [email protected] and we'll get back to you after we get back from our trip.

Thanks for the interest!

mtbr member
    color reminds me of the cannondale sl-4

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
    Something triggered a memory of Airborne this week. I went looking and stumbled upon their new Goblin:

http://www.airbornebicycles.com/products/97-goblin.aspx

The bike looks good for the price. Does anyone know any details about it beyond what's on the catalog page? Is the tubing butted, for example?

The geometry seems a tad steep at 71.5 degrees of head angle.Maybe I could extend the fork travel to 100mm.

My son's favorite color is green. He grew over the winter and requires a larger frame bike this season. The spec and price on the Goblin look good. I am sorely tempted.

Hey Jonathan,
    Just got back from Sea Otter myself and just saw this. I personally love the numbers of the Goblin the way it was designed. I think think that 71.5 is a good "happy medium" between responsiveness and stability.... especially matched the the 74 ST...
    It is a convertible fork so you can slacken it a bit more...

BPP
    mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I bought a last month. I really like the 2*10 drivetrain and SRAM components.

mtbr member
    I have one. My first 29er and I really like it.

Members who have read this thread: 0